materials and ways to save time and money for building upstairs and separate unit pl

i dont have experience and would like any advice please for

materials and ways to save time and money practically and in building contracts
for building upstairs and separate unit on a property as large as council allows within reason possibly 2 storey for rental income or to live in.
I want so save time and money but i dont want to regret at the quality.

i want an upstairs on 100 year old brick home. I know some people use plasterboard or timber or even styrofoam ( house nearbye) so wondering what people know re low cost materials that i wont regret if they are well insulated.

Please can you tell me also clauses agreements with builder to assure things were done fast and reliably without delays and hitches or price rises, or penalties of there were delays

any hints would be appreciated thank you.

Last edited:
To shop around one needs plans with materials to have reliable quotes but i'm wondering even before that about materials that can save costs but still be good if insulated and clauses to assure builders work promtly and to cost otherwise what clauses and penalties can i put please
thank you.

i want an upstairs on 100 year old brick home.

First thing is to get a structural report done as to whether the old work can take the modifications. Lime mortar brickwork is strong if left alone but can crumble once disturbed. Also check foundations and damp proofing, older materials and methods are likely to be substandard today.

In my experience the most economical work uses materials that the builders are familiar with, like decades working with the stuff. Forget anything seen in Grand Designs. Go for standard timber frame and weatherboard.

Regarding your concerns with insulation: council won't let you do anything that isn't up to energy efficiency standards. It's the least of your concerns.

thanks for that all good points. I guess a few identical homes nearbye have upstairs inculding one that used styrofoam taht apparently when it was done was the stuff being used alot world wide some 15-20 years ago . Thanks for those points.

Back