Maybe tenants - 21 year old looking after sisters aged 16 and 17

WOW... just finished the reference checks. Turns out 21 yr old is NOT related in any way to the 2 girls and has only known them and their mother for 3 years. He lives in the granny flat at their house. He has given them his car (sure they are going to pay him for it) and he took out a loan for a big TV (which the mother and girls use in their house). He has heaps of well educated relatives who would be happy for him to live with them in the area.

It is a thought that mum is blacklisted on tica and was moving in later - that would explain why they were happy to pay an extra $90 per week for a 4 bedroom house instead of a 3 bedroom house.

Decided could not take the risk on what could happen...

I'm curious why they would provide reference details for someone who could show them up as having fed you lies?

Or do you think they perhaps were hoping you would take them at face value and not do the checks.

(This comes from me, who has never done a reference check, but always gone on gut feeling - mostly it has served me well. The couple of times I accepted a tenant but my gut said "no" were the times things headed south, but each time we just needed rent rolling in, so hoped for the best. I probably would have been sucked in by this.)

Sounds like one of my previous tenants. Similar story, single mum 3 kids. Only the son works, the other 2 were teenage girls. They were of Italian background too! They lived there for 6 months I think but decided they can't afford to pay anymore and just moved out and dropped the keys off with the agent. Luckily for me they didn't owe me much rent and was only owing a few hundred after the bond was forfeited.

WOW... just finished the reference checks. Turns out 21 yr old is NOT related in any way to the 2 girls and has only known them and their mother for 3 years. He lives in the granny flat at their house. He has given them his car (sure they are going to pay him for it) and he took out a loan for a big TV (which the mother and girls use in their house). He has heaps of well educated relatives who would be happy for him to live with them in the area.

It is a thought that mum is blacklisted on tica and was moving in later - that would explain why they were happy to pay an extra $90 per week for a 4 bedroom house instead of a 3 bedroom house.

Decided could not take the risk on what could happen...

Could you go through the process you went through with your back ground checks ?

Cliff

I am self managing the property - been doing since August and had dream tenants.

So I sent them an application form which I downloaded form the web and in amongst (much like REA use). One of his references was his DAD. Paydirt! Dad spilled the beans. I suspect he wanted to be found out and helped. He wasn't sneaky..just being lead.

For a background check, I do the TICA site, ring the boss, read the payslips, ring the 2 references, the last rental agency and anyone else on the form. And I read the rental ledger that they send me.

I act like an agent.

Back