Maybe tenants - 21 year old looking after sisters aged 16 and 17

I started self managing my IP in August last year and had AAA grade tenants who are moving to Sydney - looking for a property to rent in Penrith if someone wants them. 2 cats and did I mention - best tenants ever.

New maybes are 21 year old male and his 2 sisters who are 16 and 17 (years 12 and 11 at school). Italian heritage and I think not party kids. 21 yo has been a spray painter since apprenticeship when 15 yrs old. 17 yr old has part job as a personal trainer and wants to do that full time. 16 year old did experience as a travel agent and was offered a job but wants to stay at school.

Dad has money but they haven't seen him in 5 years. Mum just moved 3 hours east with boyfriend. Currently these 3 are living in a house on uncles farm but he drops in whenever he likes and asks heaps of questions and gives them no privacy so they lock their doors at night.

Mum would pay half the rent and 21 yo says he used to not relying on parents for anything. They have been living at uncles for 2 years.

They can afford the rent and my gut says they are quiet people. Would be living in Armadale and 10 minutes from the girls school.

I'm thinking of a 3 month contract as a test. It's high rent for the area and they could get cheaper elsewhere. No other takers. I could drop the rent and keep looking. They have answered my questions and filled out the paperwork in a timely and eager manner.

Would you consider them?

I'd consider them personally. Being Armadale I'm sure you'd have your pick of dropkicks too but it sounds like they're doing their best and there are plenty of good peopl e out there who live in rough areas

I'd consider them, too. A 21yo young man who's willing to live with his pesky two younger sisters sounds more responsible than your average young guy. It sounds like he's providing the only parenting going on. I'd be keen to give them a chance.

I'd consider them, too. A 21yo young man who's willing to live with his pesky two younger sisters sounds more responsible than your average young guy. It sounds like he's providing the only parenting going on. I'd be keen to give them a chance.

Me too. Sounds like they need a break.

I'd probably give them ago.

Will Mum go on lease as well or just the 21yo?

I would prefer if the mother and the 21yo were on the lease - I wouldn't try and make the 17 an applicant even if she has a job - too hard for an under 18yo.

I presume the mother is still legally responsible for the 16 and 17yo?

Any way I think I'd give them ago.

Wow, he must an impressive young bloke.
Do the sums and see if it works for them (maybe do the sums with them) if the mum does not stump up her half of the rent - I can see that happening.
Sit all three of them down and explain your reservations but I would give them a go, too.
Put a lease in place and take them through it - use it as a learning experience for them.
Can you set up a direct debit?
Scott

Wow, he must an impressive young bloke.
Do the sums and see if it works for them (maybe do the sums with them) if the mum does not stump up her half of the rent - I can see that happening.
Sit all three of them down and explain your reservations but I would give them a go, too.
Put a lease in place and take them through it - use it as a learning experience for them.
Can you set up a direct debit?
Scott

Im no expert, but id be happy to give them a go. Good suggestion to sit down with them...

Sound more responsible than many of my current tenants.
I'd give them a 3 month lease, as a trial.
We do this a lot.

As someone who left home at 17, I understand how difficult it can be to get someone to rent to them.

WOW... just finished the reference checks. Turns out 21 yr old is NOT related in any way to the 2 girls and has only known them and their mother for 3 years. He lives in the granny flat at their house. He has given them his car (sure they are going to pay him for it) and he took out a loan for a big TV (which the mother and girls use in their house). He has heaps of well educated relatives who would be happy for him to live with them in the area.

It is a thought that mum is blacklisted on tica and was moving in later - that would explain why they were happy to pay an extra $90 per week for a 4 bedroom house instead of a 3 bedroom house.

Decided could not take the risk on what could happen...

WOW... just finished the reference checks. Turns out 21 yr old is NOT related in any way to the 2 girls and has only known them and their mother for 3 years. He lives in the granny flat at their house. He has given them his car (sure they are going to pay him for it) and he took out a loan for a big TV (which the mother and girls use in their house). He has heaps of well educated relatives who would be happy for him to live with them in the area.

It is a thought that mum is blacklisted on tica and was moving in later - that would explain why they were happy to pay an extra $90 per week for a 4 bedroom house instead of a 3 bedroom house.

Decided could not take the risk on what could happen...

Good research, run...

Back