MCC Membership

Anyone on the forum here, know of a good technique to get proposer and seconder for membership of MCC??, would like to get my son on list as i'll probably be about 60, if i applied for myself with a 25yr or so wait, not that i know a single person that is a member.

it appears to be quite an exclusive club for the rich in this city, generations pass this privilige downwards and keep out the riff raff / working class or am i getting this all wrong?

it appears to be quite an exclusive club for the rich in this city, generations pass this privilige downwards and keep out the riff raff / working class or am i getting this all wrong?

That is exactly why I would never want to rub shoulders with those actually already in the club. What are you trying to do to your poor son, make him listen to a bunch of wallies skite about their latest corporate takeover or who is popping off to Aspen for a spot of skiing? :p:D

thanks mate,

i think there are many advantages,

tickets to grand final pretty much guaranteed
full strenght beer
better views / positioning for the cricket
good value for money on season tickets for what you get
no waiting outside on long queues with the rest of the great unwashed

My father and I were nominated in 1998 and we were told it should be approx 7 years before our reserve membership came through. Still waiting.

I am a new member. I got my membership about 2 yrs ago. Now in my mid-forties and with kids in the late years of primary school, i hardly get to use it. i went twice last year, so it cost me about $300 a game. Not great value, i suppose. I am a st kilda member and go to Etihad more than the G.

MCC membership was probably better 10 yrs ago. Friday night football is not played as often. I signed up the kids last year. There are a few guys i try and catch up with. I see it being more useful in my retirement years.

I'm a member of the WACA and with that membership I get reciprocal rights into the members at MCG and other major venues. Possibly inquire down this path also for yourself.

you're getting it all wrong.

Children of members don't have automatic rights to membership. Find two members willing to nominate and second you and onto the waiting list you go. Eventually you'll be offered restricted membership. Then pay your fees and you're in. A few years later and you'll be offered full membership.
There's no means or character test, those without the membership who moan about MCC members are generally those who no one cared about enough when they were younger to put their names down...:rolleyes:

I'm not that old but I've been a member for 20+ years after an uncle nominated my brother and me when we were young. So, in turn, I've since nominated my wife, kids and nieces/nephews.

Do I get my $550 value every year? Probably not quite, but give it up and you're back to square one. And yes, to confirm, I get full strength beer, no queues, Grand Final access, Boxing Day access and the best view in the house without mingling with the riff-raff which is all rather splendid, rah-rah-rah, hockey-sticks, jolly good show what.;)

I'm a member of the WACA and with that membership I get reciprocal rights into the members at MCG and other major venues. Possibly inquire down this path also for yourself.

Ditto for some games, seats etc with Flemington membership - not sure of the details; it's hubby not me that is the member. But the VRC's a lot easier to join, that's for sure.

am i getting this all wrong?

JL Go For IT! :)

It's simply awesome, I have no idea how to help anyone re/ membership, but the absolute feeling of awe and wonder, and sense of history of 'stuff' (eg The Don, the footy greats, the Olympics), just the sheer magnitude of fun that arena has brought to Australians...I can remember my brother in law taking me there for my first AFL match, my beloved Bombers vs Magpies (ANZAC game) and I just went OMFG!

I think my entire conversation for the few hours there, was "oh my f%$@#* god, OH my f*#@#** GOD!!!!!

Go for it, life is brief, (relatively in this universe), life is so frickin' short you wanna go and take your family there, get into it mate. I could have been standing next to Gandhi himself and ZZI wouldn't have a clue, so whomever I maybe rubbing shoulders with is not the deal.

It is the arena.

The Game.

The Challenge.

The Talent.

The Determination.

The Blood, Sweat and Tears.

The Preparation to just get There.

The Passion.

The History.

The FUN!!!!!!

I am a new member. I got my membership about 2 yrs ago. Now in my mid-forties and with kids in the late years of primary school, i hardly get to use it. i went twice last year, so it cost me about $300 a game. Not great value, i suppose. I am a st kilda member and go to Etihad more than the G.

MCC membership was probably better 10 yrs ago. Friday night football is not played as often. I signed up the kids last year. There are a few guys i try and catch up with. I see it being more useful in my retirement years.

good for you toony, sounds like to need to try and get to the G more often and get some value for money outta that membership

Rixter correct, this is an options but i'm also told/researched that:

You can only access something like a maximum of 6 times a year in the MCG with a WACA membership

The WACA now has a waiting list but i believe its not a very long wait.

You are also supposedly required to show proof of residence in WA in order to gain access to other venue's reciprocal rights, bank statement / utilities bill etc

I guess this avenue is pretty pointless for me

you're getting it all wrong.

Children of members don't have automatic rights to membership. Find two members willing to nominate and second you and onto the waiting list you go. Eventually you'll be offered restricted membership. Then pay your fees and you're in. A few years later and you'll be offered full membership.
There's no means or character test, those without the membership who moan about MCC members are generally those who no one cared about enough when they were younger to put their names down...:rolleyes:

I'm not that old but I've been a member for 20+ years after an uncle nominated my brother and me when we were young. So, in turn, I've since nominated my wife, kids and nieces/nephews.

Do I get my $550 value every year? Probably not quite, but give it up and you're back to square one. And yes, to confirm, I get full strength beer, no queues, Grand Final access, Boxing Day access and the best view in the house without mingling with the riff-raff which is all rather splendid, rah-rah-rah, hockey-sticks, jolly good show what.;)

Gordon, thanks for the comments, yes i'm aware that members kids are not automatically granted membership but i'm sure a lot of them are on the list soon as.

Yes i know there's no means or class test to get in, but just it appears that there is effectively discrimination against you in the sense that you have to know personally a proposer and seconder. I know absolutely nobody that is a member. I guess our main reason is that we've only been living in Australia for a few years coming from Ireland and i dont know that many people here, work from home etc so not alot of social contact with others work wise.

By the way i understand the approach they use and think its fair enough, but from my point of view their system of applying for membership is just not open to me.

Maybe i could do the tour of the MCG again and try get one or two of the old geezers that show you around the stadium to nominate me, but i'm sure they would'nt do it as they dont know me etc

JL Go For IT! :)

It's simply awesome, I have no idea how to help anyone re/ membership, but the absolute feeling of awe and wonder, and sense of history of 'stuff' (eg The Don, the footy greats, the Olympics), just the sheer magnitude of fun that arena has brought to Australians...I can remember my brother in law taking me there for my first AFL match, my beloved Bombers vs Magpies (ANZAC game) and I just went OMFG!

I think my entire conversation for the few hours there, was "oh my f%$@#* god, OH my f*#@#** GOD!!!!!

Go for it, life is brief, (relatively in this universe), life is so frickin' short you wanna go and take your family there, get into it mate. I could have been standing next to Gandhi himself and ZZI wouldn't have a clue, so whomever I maybe rubbing shoulders with is not the deal.

It is the arena.

The Game.

The Challenge.

The Talent.

The Determination.

The Blood, Sweat and Tears.

The Preparation to just get There.

The Passion.

The History.

The FUN!!!!!!

thanks obsession,

Yes i know the atmosphere is great thats one of the things i enjoy most, the AFL games are far better live when compared to watching on the box. I would say i'd be more into the cricket as its taken me a few years to understand and get into the aussie rules game.

The only way to help non-members if you are a member is to propose or second a non-member application, it means simply signing a piece of paper and putting your membership no. down on it, its all pretty straightforward.

Rixter correct, this is an options but i'm also told/researched that:

You can only access something like a maximum of 6 times a year in the MCG with a WACA membership

The WACA now has a waiting list but i believe its not a very long wait.

You are also supposedly required to show proof of residence in WA in order to gain access to other venue's reciprocal rights, bank statement / utilities bill etc

I guess this avenue is pretty pointless for me

I never had to provide proof of residence..just provided my address details.

I know absolutely nobody that is a member.

Do you work? Or have kids at school? I would bet you do know someone who is a member, because plenty of people in Melbourne are. But it doesn't come up in conversation all that much. Just ask around - neighbours, friends, workmates, teachers etc. You'll eventually find someone - or someone who knows someone.
As for the seconder, they should be able to help with that too.

I agree, I came to Melbourne about 6 years ago and I was on the list within 6 months, turns out that plenty of people you meet are members, and nobody ever seems to mind proposing people. I'd say that every member puts their kids down at birth, and probably every waiting lister as well, certainly I put my 2 kids down at birth.

So just ask around and you'll find someone, and you can be guaranteed that they'll know other members - there's no requirement for them to know you.

But be prepared for a 25-30 year wait! The most recently-admitted members have been on the list for about 15 years, but the waiting list is now almost 100,000, whereas the membership is only abut 70,000. So, practically speaking, you have to wait for a lot of old members to 'retire' from membership.

With the way old age health is improving, old members are much less likely to give up their membership before they die, and they're living longer.

How about AFL membership? It's far easier to get in, you can get Silver straightaway and Gold membership then after a few years.

While the Great Southern Stand may not look all that hot right now, there's little doubt that it'll get rebuilt in the next 10 years or so, and thus it'll be brand spanking new when the members will then be 20 years old!

Cheers
Jonathon

My father and I were nominated in 1998 and we were told it should be approx 7 years before our reserve membership came through. Still waiting.
Pretty sure it was 1999 that i was nominated so you'll get in a year before i will, anyway! I'm sure i was told at the time that there was some affirmative action policy to allow more women in - but that was obviously a publicity stunt.

It took about 25 years on the waiting list for me. It was a lot longer back then before the new members stand was built.

I believe waiting times have come down a fair bit, you can have a look at the MCC website, I think they tell you how many are on the waiting list and how many new members they process each year, so you'll get an idea of how long you'll be on the list.

If nominating your kids, it's good info to know because you don't want them being offered a membership at 15, as you'll end up footing the bill. Nominate them around 10 years old.

Pretty sure it was 1999 that i was nominated so you'll get in a year before i will, anyway! I'm sure i was told at the time that there was some affirmative action policy to allow more women in - but that was obviously a publicity stunt.

Just saw the website as gooram suggested. This is for restricted memberships......

The waiting list, therefore, consists of candidates nominated from June 1, 1995 to today.

So at least another 4 years Ms Jade :(

As for affirmative action and the MCC. What comes to mind is oil and water!

Back