McDonalds $14 Million Land Grab

Someone once told me that Mcdonalds is not in the fast-food industry, but actually in the real estate industry. (I think someone who has read the book about the company might be able to explain it more specifically.) But anyway, I'd always thought it was just a Scottish family restaurant.

While in France, I noticed they served beer and wine in Maccas, so it was a little harder to turn down the kids' requests to stop in.

When people are on holidays, do they not notice that all sorts of establishments sell alcohol which don't here in Aust, not just McDonalds..

I quite like McDonalds. I don't go there very often, but when I do I find it cheap, convenient and the food is OK. Great for when you're only holidays or traveling and just want something quick.

I'm not sure why people get so narky about the food. Sure, its not exactly gourmet, but I've eaten plenty that's worse. It's also cheap and consistent.

(And no, I don't work for them!)

While in France, I noticed they served beer and wine in Maccas, so it was a little harder to turn down the kids' requests to stop in.

...and in Paris you can buy a beer in McDonald's. And you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese In Paris?

They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with cheese?

No man they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the f a quarter pounder is.

Well what do they call it?

They call it a Royale with Cheese.

Royale with cheese. What do they call a Big Mac?

A Big Mac's a Big Mac but they call it Le Big Mac.

(Faux french accent) Le Big Mac. Ha! Ha! Ha! What do they call a Whopper?

I dunno. I didn't go into Burger King.

Etc Etc. Sorry guys but couldn't resist this one.

When push came to shove and MCD tried to force them out, the franchisees just said "screw you" and changed the name on the door when their franchise was taken off them and continued to operate.

and that's how McDowell's was started.
Quote from one of the former franchisees, Cleo McDowell:
Look... me and the McDonald's people got this little misunderstanding. See, they're McDonald's... I'm McDowell's. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds.

and that's how McDowell's was started.
Quote from one of the former franchisees, Cleo McDowell:

Quote:
Look... me and the McDonald's people got this little misunderstanding. See, they're McDonald's... I'm McDowell's. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles onions on a sesame seed bun... But, my buns ain't got no sesame seeds

Well, I had the great honour and privilege of granting the Permit for the Mooroolbark McDonalds - it totally transformed the Five Ways intersection, provided good food and local work for many of the area's teenagers.

It would have to be one of the prettiest little McDonalds anywhere - but when the (Council) Staff wanted the Golden Arches to be no more than 5m high, when even the lamp posts are higher than that, and the Bowling Pins of the lane next door are definitely sights to behold, suffice to say that common sense prevailed and the Arches are at the standard height.

One of the benefits of living in this dormitory suburb has been that McDonalds is within (a fairly lengthy) walking distance.

My children all looked forward to walking themselves there and sharing a meal with friends, Mike and I have been known to treat ourselves to a McCoffee, and many of the children's friends worked there learning how a real business operates.

Great to hear that they will be next to the Fire House - one of the area's most interesting restaurants. They will benefit greatly from this - hamburger one day, relaxed fine dining the next (The Fire House does great breakfast eggs!)

Any marketing student knows that grouping servicing actually drives up prices, and the Office Works / McDonalds / Fire House precinct is just along from the Ringwood Lake, Westpac Corporate building and the new Community Housing project.

My Ringwood house across the tracks will be almost walking distance - well, this is great news and thank you for sharing!

Cheers
Kristine

PS When I had the shop, one of my suppliers went to visit relatives in Delhi, and was very proud to tell me of the McDonalds there - vege burgers, or course, but apparently just as popular in Delhi as they are in Melbourne.

Back