Medellin, Colombia

As some of you may be aware, I'm working in Medellin, Colombia, for the next three months. Not working as an employee per se- but as an intern.

I have been trying to get back into IT, a field which I have really enjoyed in the past. However, after a ten year break, this has proved to be difficult, even after completing a diploma in software development. Well, this did get me a job- telephone technical support and some programming. But I couldn't handle some of the people on the other end of the phone- it was never my fault that their computer didn't work, but some people treated me as if it was.

My daughter visited Medellin a couple of years and came across The Intern Group. She was interested, and asked me about it. I investigated, and I was attracted by the concept. I would have to pay for the program as well as travel expenses- in return I would get a place with a company to get some hands on experience, which is something I really needed.

I applied last year, and was accepted and paid a deposit- however, I received a job offer in the telephone tech support role in the meantime.

I was getting dissatisifed with this job, so I took a long break in November and December last year- my first real break for about ten years. I visited Central America, Medellin (to see if everything was kosher and to see what the city was like) and Mexico.

On returning to work, I had more upset customers than ever, so I handed in my notice. The Intern Group allowed me to use my deposit from the previous year towards the program.

That's the background. More to come.

On my visit to Medellin, I really enjoyed the place. It’s a fairly modern city, with a good infrastructure, but most importantly, with a good vibe. So I came with some knowledge.

Medellin was known to me in the past as the cocaine capital, home of Pablo Escobar. However, since he was killed around 20 years ago, the city has worked hard to reinvent itself, and has succeeded. In 2013 it was named “Innovative city of the year” by the Wall Street Journal.

Medellin is a fairly pleasant city to be in, as big cities go. (By the way, all my comments refer to the entire central part of Medellin, in the valley, which is fairly prosperous and safe. There’s many people who live in the poorer areas, on the mountain areas overlooking central Medellin. Many of these areas are very unsafe, and I assume not quite so pleasant). The streets are well planted with trees, and there’s lots of parks. The metro system is easy, cheap and fast- and extremely clean. The city has augmented the metro with a chair lift, and in 2011, with a giant escalator to one of the poorest areas. Ten years ago, there were 10,000 visitors to the city annually; that’s grown to 200,000.

The climate is excellent. It doesn’t get out of the comfortable range- 15?C to 30?C - it’s known as the City of Eternal Spring. There is a wet season- three months starting in March, so I’ve yet to see how it is.

It’s set spectacularly. The bus from the airport to the city has stunning views of the city down in the valley below. The mountains provide a great backdrop to the city/

This is the geography lesson, my idea is to write up something of what it’s like to live here. It won’t be much on tourist stuff, as I will be trying to get on with my work.

Hey amigo...maybe start a blog...like these guys:

http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/

Some great reading...and they are impressive as they set their own path at 38 (retired) and spent life travelling around mostly Mejico, Guatemala, Thailand...

I hear Ecuador is the place in South America..lots of US Expats...

Cuenca in Ecuador is supposed to be good. I'd like to check it out, but at theend of my internship, I will be visiting Bolivia with a side trip to Macchu Picchu (of course).

Lots of US expats doesn't make a place desirable though ;-)

Back