Medibank Private Share Offer..

Just wondering as the pre-register for Australian residents is starting is anyone considering buying into this float,btw one has to register to have the opportunity to have a look over the Prospectus,or call 1800998778..

From what I have read about this so far,as I don't know what's inside the Prospectus is,if one is registered you may have a better chance of being allocated a higher numbers,while several high end Nominees will take the greater% then stand-alone investors like myself because "IMHO"there is several social unpredictable elements that don't help one mitigate the consequences .."IMHO"..

https://www.medibankprivateshareoffer.com.au/pre_reg_identification/

Would need to really pull apart the numbers to see if it's worth a punt. Even then it's hard to get past it being a business that relies entirely on government incentives/subsidies to taxpayers on the one hand for people to take up their product, and government penalties/taxes on the other for people who wont take up their product.

Throw in government regulation for how much they can charge and what they have to offer in products, it all becomes a bit uncertain long term what their profits would be like given how the whims of government seem to flow and ebb.

Without looking at the prospectus, what's your view in general willair?

Would need to really pull apart the numbers to see if it's worth a punt. Even then it's hard to get past it being a business that relies entirely on government incentives/subsidies to taxpayers on the one hand for people to take up their product, and government penalties/taxes on the other for people who wont take up their product.

Throw in government regulation for how much they can charge and what they have to offer in products, it all becomes a bit uncertain long term what their profits would be like given how the whims of government seem to flow and ebb.

Without looking at the prospectus, what's your view in general willair?

Arnoldus, i'm not very good at predicting outcomes and by gauging what the media investment "expert" are saying,plus my broker who is a Lady,and the Wife"boss" have both said no,,but there is ample data out there about Australia's ageing population statistics,depending on the entry price and if I can get the numbers I want and after reading all I can I think I will go ahead with this offer,but I'm only a former blue collar worker who can't spell anymore then 10 words..imho..

Who was it that said....

"Any share IPO you can get in on is one you don't want to get in on"

I don't know about that one,if one was to track the "IPO" from the early 1990's some are above the ten-bagger range or they were until a few weeks back,and with all the progressive taxes with entry costs and exit costs some like CBA and several others have worked out well..imho..

I don't know about that one,if one was to track the "IPO" from the early 1990's some are above the ten-bagger range or they were until a few weeks back,and with all the progressive taxes with entry costs and exit costs some like CBA and several others have worked out well..imho..

Very true , still hold my CBA from the initial offering with full share reinvestment scheme.

I too have held CBA shares for the last 19 years. I bought at $5000 and now they are worth more than $100,000 (with DRP). Hopefully the government will offer Medibank shares at a discounted price. In fact, they should be giving Medibank members FREE shares.

i heard in the investment news this morning, there won't be any discounts for members - only more allocation. i hope to get an allocation too

I too have held CBA shares for the last 19 years. I bought at $5000 and now they are worth more than $100,000 (with DRP). Hopefully the government will offer Medibank shares at a discounted price. In fact, they should be giving Medibank members FREE shares.

The Howard Gov. legislated to get full control of the assets in 97/98. The members got shafted then, and will likely get a small/token benefit now.

I wouldn't touch it. Too much competition in the insurance market. The only way to obtain growth is to increase market share and there is nothing that they can do that would be different to the others. This will go the way of qantas and telstra.

That's always the risk, the gamble, isn't it? The government regulates the insurance industry a lot, so it may end up another Telstra. I'll wait to hear what the experts have to say.

The government became the sole shareholder of Medibank Private on 1 May, 1998. Before 1998, policyholders were the beneficial owners of the fund?s assets. The government of the day saw that as an impediment, so it got through parliament legislation which made it sole owner.

When the government set itself up as the sole shareholder for $100, this is what it got:

Cash: $157 million
Receivables: $112 million
Investments: $279 million
Land and Buildings: $81.1 million
Plant and Equipment: $3.4 million

Total: $632.5 million

Assets which previously belonged to Medibank Private members.

Back