Medicare rebate cut by $20 - from $37.05 to $16.95 for under 10 min consult

I imagine some GPs will just find a way around the changes.

It's not like Medicare are notified that Mrs smith was with Dr Ed from 9.00 - 9.09, or till 9.11.

Is anyone really buying the line that these changes to Medicare will really kill people?
yes me. GPs will be less likely to provide preventative/pre-emptive medicine, and rather just treat the presenting conditions. Time constrained GPs will address lifestyle less - lifestyle issues are time consuming. They're less likely to address the lifestyle factors that have the biggest effect on morbidity and mortality that patients don't directly present for.

I'm not sure I would like to see this government hold both houses.

I'm not sure I'd like to see many governments holding both houses. I'm sure I wouldn't want this one to.

yes me. GPs will be less likely to provide preventative/pre-emptive medicine, and rather just treat the presenting conditions. Time constrained GPs will address lifestyle less - lifestyle issues are time consuming. They're less likely to address the lifestyle factors that have the biggest effect on morbidity and mortality that patients don't directly present for.
GPs have time to provide preventantive medicine, address lifestyle issues/factors in 6 minute consultations? ;)

I think they Govt. is trying to cut back the 6 minute consultations and have more consultations over 10 minutes, which seems like it maybe the converse of what you are saying.

If you read the article, it was saying that people would rather die than spend $20 to see a doctor. I find that hard a bit hard to believe.

When we were in LA few years ago, our baby had asthma attack. We took him to a paed. No booking, and was charged $60! The medication was $3! He got better straight away.

If that happen in oz, we would be seen by a gp who would not diagnosed or find out the problem in one visit. That would cost at least $60. Then kid would get sicker, we would end up in ed then 5 nights in hospital. That actually happened.

Many moons ago while visiting Indonesia, I got really sick. So I was taken to a local government clinic and was seen by a newly grad dr. He gave me antibiotic and sent home. I was better the next day. I think I only paid for the med, which was subsidised by govt..so it was really cheap. The clinics are usually attended by poor low income people.

Perhaps the model of having local govt clinic would be ideal in oz. the private dr can charge whatever amount with no rebate. It might solve the probs with rural areas too. It's just my 2c.

I personally think that we need to replace the treasurer.

I'm not sure I'd like to see many governments holding both houses. I'm sure I wouldn't want this one to.

Out of curiosity when you were overseas, did you by any chance contribute your full share to medicare?

I am not talking from a legal/tax point of view.
But from a personal point of view.

When you were overseas, even though it might not have been legally required, did you think, I will be returning to Australia.
Therefore I better pay my share of medicare.

No surprise there. I do agree that the consultation times are way to quick. I have been to a few doctors who bulk bill and man they are fast. You are in and out within 5 minutes. No hi how is it going and tell me how you feel etc. Just whats wrong, where does it hurt and here is the medicine good bye.

To be honest if I did that for my clients I would be making a killing. They charge 37.5 for medicare and then another 35 for the patient as an example. Its crazy!

I think GP's are important but they should also be audited on their consultation process. I understand what Abbott is trying to do however, he isnt doing it the right way.

Yes Medicare is expensive but lets focus on inefficiencies not cost shifting. Unless we want to end up like America. I was having a look at their taxes/medicare and its almost if not more expensive that Australia. Yet they dont have enough how? Red tape?

I seriously think a review by professionals is needed rather than bureaucrats.

Unless we want to end up like America. I was having a look at their taxes/medicare and its almost if not more expensive that Australia.
You can't have had much of a look; their health care is mostly private and is way, way more expensive. Their doctors are paid much, much more than here. You can't get treatment - even prescriptions - unless approved by your HMO (like a private insurer, but they control everything). Their system's abysmal, and we definitely do not want to go down that road.

Government has announced a backdown on the changes proposed to come into effect on Monday for consultations under 10 minutes:

http://www.news.com.au/national/doctors-and-labor-call-for-the-federal-government-to-backdown-on-gp-fee-hike/story-fncynjr2-1227185365868
And it's over... at least this will save lives ;)

The government is looking silly. They have backed off reforms to the Racial Discrimination Act, backing off the PPL they took to the election, backing down on indexing HECS etc. They are starting too look like Rudd backing down on action on climate change after claiming that climate change is the biggest moral issue of our time.

I doubt it's over. Maybe it's over till Jan 31, the date of the Queensland election. ;)
Maybe a clever election policy ploy to make Campbell Newman look good with his protestations "he did not support the cuts to the Medicare rebate because it could drive patients to state-funded hospital emergency departments".
I don't know, me smelleth a rat....
Govt backdown too easy
Campbell Newman comes out smelling like roses :cool:
The announcement was about delaying to 'pause, listen and consult', not to abandon, methinks

I doubt it's over. Maybe it's over till Jan 31, the date of the Queensland election. ;)
Maybe a clever election policy ploy to make Campbell Newman look good with his protestations "he did not support the cuts to the Medicare rebate because it could drive patients to state-funded hospital emergency departments".
I don't know, me smelleth a rat....
Govt backdown too easy
Campbell Newman comes out smelling like roses :cool:
The announcement was about delaying to 'pause, listen and consult', not to abandon, methinks

Let's hope you are right.

I'm going to the quack tomorrow to get a. medical certificate. Long weekend here I come!:D Thanks Tony...or Mr Newman, Hockey lol.

Back