Melb house purchase boundaries surveyor?

Hi all.

My solicitor advised me to have a surveyor to measure my property boundaries before proceed with the sale. Anyone can recommend a good melbourne surveyor ? Its a corner block 3 bedroom brick house in melbourne northeast suburb. Is it really necessary to get it done ? Who will pay for the fees ? lender or the buyer ? I got free valuation from the lender but they don't mention anything about surveyor.

Another thing, my solicitor asking price estimated at $1300. This is not a fixed price so I am a bit of concerned whether this costs can blew up to 2k or not. Is this a reasonable price for 300k+ investment property legal fees ? I haven't negotiate the price with him at all. I prefer to use solicitor because this is my first investment purchase and i don't want to risk it if anything gone wrong.

thank you very much advance for your advice.

I know a lot (probably most) solicitors will advise you to get a survey report. Personally, I never do.

It is an added cost (probably mostly unnecessary, although not in all cases). If you can identify the property boundaries, and the fences have been in place for some time, it's probably OK.

If you are really concerned, then buy Title Insurance.

I am buying existing dwellings for investment. My solicitor told me there is a clause in the contract cited there is no compensation or whatsoever if the measurements of the physical boundaries is incorrect. He advised me to get the report done before the sale.

What is the odds you don't get the right measurements as the title ?
Thanks a lot

He's being lawyer, you paid him to look through the contract thats what his done. It's up to you to decide how you would like to proceed based on the costs involved. I personally wouldn't be doing it if it was a long term buy and hold. If it was a development where the boundary etc was important then I would look into it further.

End of the day - your call.

OK. Thank you very much.

I personally don't think its necessary. But i got the house cheap under market value and in good conditions compared to others in the market, so i have a bit unsecured feeling. My lawyer's advise just made me more wary about the property.

If you are really concerned do a rough estimate with a tap measure and compare to the title boundary. If there is significant differences then you might engage a proper surveyor.

Me personally unless the fence is usually in the right spot only if they have put a new on down would you might consider getting it checked out (esp if the vendor owns that block).

Hi Vivian
I recently bought one in Melbourne and in the paperwork from the solicitor there was a paper requiring me to sign and declare that I've measured and matched the land, and something to the effect of waving right to compensation if not right.

I didn't sign it. No one chased me for it either (so far).

I'm from Sydney so that was my first Mel property. Thought that was strange as well. The dimension of land and size of land on title should be the what I paid and what I shall receive. Surely they can't ask me to sign away my right to claim my title?

Is this a Melbourne thing?

yeah. lol. its in Melbourne. Fences was old, so i might just ignore it anyway. Land surveyor will add up extra 800$ unnecessary costs. I better use it to get my depreciation schedule.
Thanks all.

Back