Melbourne: Has any suburb boom then busted?

There's a property group out there at the moment that are buying up in Melton and say they reckon it'll be good for capital growth and cash flow.. What's Melton got for it being in the middle of nowhere?

I think it will take a long time if ever for Melton to lose its Stigma. Suburbs with bad stigma usually recover due to some other factor and unless i am missing something, Melton just does not or will not have it.

So the question I ask, is what will diversify Melton? What will make it trendy or desirable in the near future? What will bring people to live there because at the moment people live there for 1 reason, affordability.

Hahahaha :p famous last words?
I know some of you really don't like comparing to Sydney but look at Campbelltown and Camden. What on earth drove those places into a comfortable middle-class status?
Affordability = Young families = clean living = clean houses and mown lawns = good neighbours = proactive demands to council = desirability.
Maybe just not this cycle :)

Hahahaha :p famous last words?
I know some of you really don't like comparing to Sydney but look at Campbelltown and Camden. What on earth drove those places into a comfortable middle-class status?
Affordability = Young families = clean living = clean houses and mown lawns = good neighbours = proactive demands to council = desirability.
Maybe just not this cycle :)

There's jobs within 15 mins of Campbelltown. What's in Melton? Geographically its in the middle of nowhere.. Camden went up when they announced SW growth centre didn't it?

I've been hearing of more and more Sydney investors buying up in the Melton area in recent months. I wonder if this will turns things around for Melton? Prices are well below the highs of the peak in 2009 - 2010, yet the rest of Melbourne (inner-Melbourne especially) is at an all time high. Surely it's time for Melton to play some catch-up? Is Melton under-valued currently, or is it Melbourne that has over-shot? Thoughts?

I have a spot on community radio on the 4th Saturday of each month, which is tomorrow...

The Bricks and Mortar Show
Saturday 11:00 to 12:00.
3WBC: 94.1 FM
www.3wbc.org.au (we also stream the show).

Tomorrow I'm interviewing a "property strategist" and we'll primarily be discussing the Melbourne 2050 plan, which is fairly relevant to where the outter suburbs are going.

I've been hearing of more and more Sydney investors buying up in the Melton area in recent months. I wonder if this will turns things around for Melton? Prices are well below the highs of the peak in 2009 - 2010, yet the rest of Melbourne (inner-Melbourne especially) is at an all time high. Surely it's time for Melton to play some catch-up? Is Melton under-valued currently, or is it Melbourne that has over-shot? Thoughts?

Melton is probably over-valued :p

Just curious, has any suburb boomed, peaked then busted with the house price then staying lower than at its peak?
I have an IP in Heidelberg Heights, so I follow the prices there fairly closely. Prices peaked around 2010 and then cooled off quite a lot. They seem to be back up to that level (just) but no signs of slowing this time round (yet).

Looking at the median house price, it peaked at $551k in 2010, eased to $506k in 2011, bottomed out at $465k in 2012, recovered to $535k in 2013 and ended 2014 at $556k. And they say shares are volatile! :D

http://www.realestate.com.au/invest/house-in-heidelberg+heights,+vic+3081

Back