Melbourne - HOTSPOTS

My husband and I were discussing NY apartment prices just recently too. It is actually cheaper to buy an apartment in Manhattan than in many parts of Canberra (and Melbourne and other Australian cities). As for the comments saying it's not a house, it's only an apartment. Why would you even bother buying a house in Manhattan? I certaintly wouldn't. I probably would only use it for sleeping. We visited last year and I thought it was a great city. Everything was open late, the subway system is amazing and everything is really good value. I remember one instance where we went to a Thai restaurant in the Hell's Kitchen neighbourhood and had 2 entrees, 2 mains, drinks, a shared dessert (inc tip) for ~$20. I couldn't believe it. That would buy one plate of food over here. It's funny because you would think their rent and other costs would be higher. I would love to move there but I work in a really competitive industry and think it would be quite difficult to get a good job over there.

I can't get over the relatively cheap eating out costings. Actually, the relatively cheap cost of living fullstop here in the States. Albeit California, near LA, not New York. Similar experiences for this Thai food.

I do miss my Aussie/New Zealand coffee shops though.

If anyone can point me to a decent skinny latte in Los Angeles, they will be regaled for eternity. (Sorry, Starbucks doesn't count).

What do coffee drinkers do for a decent coffee here? I have the little jug thing and a packet of Peets I can do in the morning here, but what on earth do we drink when out?:confused: Is America land-of-no-decent-coffee?

What do coffee drinkers do for a decent coffee here? I have the little jug thing and a packet of Peets I can do in the morning here, but what on earth do we drink when out?:confused: Is America land-of-no-decent-coffee?

Short answer: Yes.

Try and find an Italian restaurant. Maggiano's is always good (they are all over the US) & they serve a Cap. or Espresso.... There is one in the LA Farmers Market. ;)

I have my own coffee machine at home. Wouldn't survive here wiothout it!

I think that in markets like Manhattan (or London) there are pockets of super-prime property that are a must-have for the super-rich. So whilst a comparable house might be cheaper in NY than in Melbourne, the reverse is true at the very top end.

Put it this way, there are places that cost $100 million in London or NY. The most expensive place I've heard of in Melbourne was $25 million.

At the same time, there's still a lot of optimistic pricing in the US. 75 1/2 Bedford Street last sold for around $2 million in 2010. After a renovation the vendor is looking for around $3.5 million, down from $4 million, in a falling market. Funnily enough, it's not sold.

I think it would even out once rent and everything else is taken into consideration. If you use eating out (even take away) as an indicator, Australia is among the most expensive places in the world (if not, the most expensive). Just like a lot of other things really. I think it's because people have gotten used to paying it and stores and other businesses are used to charging those prices.
"Getting used to it" has nothing to do with it at all.

It's purely costs versus profits.

I'll guarantee you if the the restaurants here in Aus could get away with charging even more here for their food; they would.

In L.A all food is cheap - at the grocery store, the take-away bars and restaurants, and as I said; the waiters are paid not much etc; hence cheaper food at take-aways and restaurants over there and wherever costs are lower than here.

If anyone can point me to a decent skinny latte in Los Angeles, they will be regaled for eternity. (Sorry, Starbucks doesn't count).
3rd street, just east of the San Vicente intersection (not far from Cedars Sinai hospital - maybe within a km), on the north side of the road, on the corner of a side street.

There is a little trendy cafe there we used to get take-away coffees from now and then. Can't remember the name of it unfortunately, but very good.

Could it be a simple case of the average Australian being wealthier than the average American, therefore costs of living are much greater in Australia?

I heard last night on TV that 1/6 of Americans live below the poverty line - mind boggling statistic... Certainly is a country of vast difference between the rich and the poor.

I am finding supermarkets, even Farmer's Produce places incredibly good $$ value, the fruit and vegies excellent quality and so much cheaper than my living/shopping regional Victoria (overall). The steak is delicious and so cheap, Clothes, food, even the occasional dining out. The weather is beautiful, lot to love about Los Angeles. A centrally located apartment in San Diego is around $200 p/w rent.

I will be near the hospital tomorrow BV, will have a hunt for the cafe, appreciate very much.

I am finding supermarkets, even Farmer's Produce places incredibly good $$ value, the fruit and vegies excellent quality and so much cheaper than my living/shopping regional Victoria (overall). The steak is delicious and so cheap, Clothes, food, even the occasional dining out. The weather is beautiful, lot to love about Los Angeles. A centrally located apartment in San Diego is around $200 p/w rent.

I will be near the hospital tomorrow BV, will have a hunt for the cafe, appreciate very much.
Hey OO; if you get time, try and do the walk up to the top of Mt. Hollywood at dawn. Stunning on a clear day.

It's the peak over to the right of the Hollywood sign; has the Observatory on it.

think of it this way, coming from someone who has had extensive hospitality experience

if you had to work 40-80 hours a week and a good business was profiting $50k inclusive of your salary, do you think anybody would be doing a hospitality business

Our rents and wages in particular are too high to lower prices of food drastically

sure there are operators marking up the price because they can, if people thought it was daylight robbery, they would go out of business eventually

Could it be a simple case of the average Australian being wealthier than the average American, therefore costs of living are much greater in Australia?
It's the unskilled labour and basic wage factor.

In services, if you are unskilled and the employer can get away with paying the minimum wage, you are earning under $10 per hour.

I looked to do some Pro Shop work and teaching at a local Public Golf course while I was there.

The same job in Aus - given my qualification and experience - I could earn $25 per hour for Pro Shop work as an employee. Pretty cr@p, but that's the industry and it's getting worse.

The same job in L.A was offering $10 per hour.

The local Video store Manager was earning about $11 per hour - he was about 40 years old..

Last edited:
I guess a population larger than Australia's kinda think its OK :)

Its not even a nice place to visit, worst place I have ever been that includes third world slums and war zones. The only place where I met rude unfriendly people. The people who live there are ignorant and dont know any better. The inlaws live there but I can only tolerate the place for 2 days at a time.

I hear similar comparison with shopping.

Sounds like when the $AUD has been lower we were being ripped off - but now we are at parity we are actually doing quite well.

I wonder what the "appropriate" level of AUD/USD is - in terms of shopping etc. I guess there isnt one - which is why there is a Forex market.

Back