Melbourne property prices

Reply: 1.1

The median price of Melbourne is now on par with Sydney - give or take a few grand. Thats only the third time in the last 30 odd years this has happened. Assuming history repeats then Melbourne prices are going nowhere for the next few years whereas Sydney should move up slowly but steadily to regain its traditional premium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1.1.1

I don't think it is very meaningful to compare the median prices of Melbourne and Sydney as the spread is very different. While in Sydney there is a wide range of prices from prime beach front property to outlying areas while Melbourne prices are more clustered around that middle pricing range with few extremes.

What do others think?

GoAnna !
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."
-Henry Ford

Reply: 2

Hope someone can confirm the details.

When comparing the medium prices of both Melbourne and Sydney, are we using all the real estate transaction, or only looking a certain samples.

CK

Reply: 2.1

Gee,
I Remember people saying this in 1990, how Melbourne prices had peaked and that it was not a good time to buy.
truth is that anytime is good as long as your cashflow is good and you select the right sort of property, you too can be glad that you didn't sit on a bench, going grey waiting for the prices to go down, affordable property doesn't really fluctuate that much and last thing i remember was that property is a long term investment. invest in and around the major capital cities, in the best areas you can afford, and be sure that people can the majority of people can afford to rent your property, and let the rocket science of time do the rest!

George Mariotti

Back