Melbourne suburb, below $350K, good cap growth and rental

Aazar – you still don’t get it. My announce was with the second half of your post "who the hell would want to live there"... answer: lots of people! I think it is VERY, VERY important to share info etc - but make sure what your actually saying is truth, not fiction, and have some tact and respect for the many families that live there.

Gordon - sorry If I offended. Aazar made my blood boil ;o)

Amazing_Venice (female, BTW)

Aazar – you still don’t get it. My announce was with the second half of your post "who the hell would want to live there"... answer: lots of people! I think it is VERY, VERY important to share info etc - but make sure what your actually saying is truth, not fiction, and have some tact and respect for the many families that live there.

Gordon - sorry If I offended. Aazar made my blood boil ;o)

Amazing_Venice (female, BTW)

Amazing_venice, it is obvious your assumption that 'lots of people' want to live in Point Cook is incorrect. You have ignored (probably unknowingly due to perhaps a biased opinion) the difference between 'wanting to live' in Point Cook and 'having no choice, but to live' in Point Cook. If people had a choice and affordability not 'as much' an issue, 99.99% of people would rather live in Toorak than Point Cook. If Toorak is too extreme for you, then Williamstown, and if that is too extreme for you, then Altona.

Don't give me all this crap about Toorak is too snobbish and that Point Cook is wonderful community living. I've heard it all before and it is crap and you know it.

My goodness, this has blown completely out of control. No bias of opinion - don't live in point cook, never been to point cook - the point I was trying to get across - albeit I've obviously not convaid it well enough - was that people do live there, have choosen to live there, and I just though it was rude the way Aazar, spoke about the suburb. Aazar has a history of posting rude and spiteful messages (check out his Adelaide postings) - I just had a gut full of his rude manner.

True story - Vic markets this week, a woman yelled at a blind man "BLOODY WATCH WERE YOU ARE WALKING"! The man responded, "well you try watching were you're going when your blind". The woman then said "It wasn't like I was walking quietly or anything!". It's amazing, that in real life people would not stick up for a blind man, but on a forum (Quoting mr bojangles), "there's a fair share of people who hide behind the anonymity of a forum page to say things they would not be brave enough to say to someone's face".

Anyway - apologies to the OP for getting this topic off track. I hope you've recieved some usefull information about point cook or other possible areas.

DeeHwa said:
If people had a choice and affordability not 'as much' an issue, 99.99% of people would rather live in Toorak than Point Cook.

Really? Do you have any studies (surveys) or newspaper reports that show this 99.9%?

FYI, I'd prefer the suburbs than Toorak. I don't believe I took any surveys though.

DeeHwa said:
Don't give me all this crap about Toorak is too snobbish and that Point Cook is wonderful community living. I've heard it all before and it is crap and you know it.

This statement is really rather uncalled for. Unless you have lived in Point Cook before and have direct experience?

Back on topic:

The suburbs mentioned in the OP are relatively alright. Except Footscray - even if they have some awesome food. I'd personally really rather not live in Footscray. Safety is still a prominent sticking issue (recent fatal stabbing happened there, as well as the first police search for concealed weapons @ footscray train station).

Last edited:
What an odd presumption. Even my friend looking for a home with $8 mill rattling in her pocket wouldn't live in Toorak.

$8mil cash won't get you very much in Toorak these days. If your lucky and Lindsay Fox is drunk, you might be able to afford his front gate on Irving/Albany Road.

Your friend obviously suffers from tall poppy syndrome. With $8mil cash, he/she will surely live like a king/queen in any other Melbourne suburb. In Toorak, you will be nothing more than a pleb. Your friend would 'probably' be the type who ends up being envious at the success of the neighbour's next door and envious at how their own 1000sqm land pales in comparison to the 3000-4000sqm plots of land+house on Albany, St Georges, Hopetoun, Heyington, Linlithgow, Orrong etc...

You should ask your friend this question: 'if you were looking for a house with $100 mil cash, where would you buy?'.

Really? Do you have any studies (surveys) or newspaper reports that show this 99.9%?

FYI, I'd prefer the suburbs than Toorak. I don't believe I took any surveys though.

This statement is really rather uncalled for. Unless you have lived in Point Cook before and have direct experience?

Back on topic:

The suburbs mentioned in the OP are relatively alright. Except Footscray - even if they have some awesome food. I'd personally really rather not live in Footscray. Safety is still a prominent sticking issue (recent fatal stabbing happened there, as well as the first police search for concealed weapons @ footscray train station).

I don't need surveys...it is pure human psychology 101 mate. People want the best out of everything. Everyone wants to live well, dress well, eat well, bang the hottest chick (or seduce the hottest guy, haha) etc... People only masquerade otherwise because of affordability and not wanting to put heavy expectations/burden on themselves to achieve. If you don't raise the bar high, then there is no disappointment. Being content is often a false sense of security and it is usually these type of people that have the least ambition.

I don't live in Point Cook (never will) and I also don't need direct experience there. My opinion is governed by the plethora of commercials on TV promoting places like Point Cook and the anecdotal evidence of those that do live there. At the end of the day, it is Point Cook, you just gotta laugh!

So true DeeHwa..about the aspirational stuff...so using psychology 101...where are you on the aspiratonal ladder?

Have you bought in Toorak...yet.....where are you living at the moment?

Have you landed that $1m job and that beautiful girl?? Do tell....;)

I don't need surveys...it is pure human psychology 101 mate. People want the best out of everything. Everyone wants to live well, dress well, eat well, bang the hottest chick (or seduce the hottest guy, haha) etc... People only masquerade otherwise because of affordability and not wanting to put heavy expectations/burden on themselves to achieve. If you don't raise the bar high, then there is no disappointment. Being content is often a false sense of security and it is usually these type of people that have the least ambition.

I don't live in Point Cook (never will) and I also don't need direct experience there. My opinion is governed by the plethora of commercials on TV promoting places like Point Cook and the anecdotal evidence of those that do live there. At the end of the day, it is Point Cook, you just gotta laugh!

DeeHwa said:

If you are put off by the fact that Point Cook is currently selling plots of land, then please remember that places such as Glen Waverly and Box Hill were also once 'display home' sites. The owners who bought then are laughing now. :)

So true DeeHwa..about the aspirational stuff...so using psychology 101...where are you on the aspiratonal ladder?

Have you bought in Toorak...yet.....where are you living at the moment?

Have you landed that $1m job and that beautiful girl?? Do tell....;)

Ah, Sash, here we go again!

I am nowhere near living or buying in Toorak - well, I could, but not the type of houses we are implicitly thinking of (I live in Fitzroy - you should know that as I have mentioned it several times). Job definitely not $1mil and no beautiful girl but if anything, I DO ASPIRE to get there one day. However, it is irrelevant if I do get there or not because the crux of my argument is that everyone wants the best and I am just highlighting this in light of all these clowns saying that people 'actually want to' live in Point Cook. They obviously don't know the difference.

As to you Sash, I don't think you have achieved that either (pretty sure you don't have a $1mil job judging by your previous posts and I doubt all your Werribee/Hoppers rental income combined would get you over the line in that department, haha and I know you don't live in Toorak). I can't say much about the beautiful girl - that is subjective anyway, so that makes two of us climbing up that ladder yeah?

If you are put off by the fact that Point Cook is currently selling plots of land, then please remember that places such as Glen Waverly and Box Hill were also once 'display home' sites. The owners who bought then are laughing now. :)

Why would they be laughing? Glen Waverley and Box Hill are still cheap places to live and in absolute terms, have not enjoyed the same capital growth as other suburbs like Kew, Hawthorn, Camberwell, Balwyn etc...over the past two decades. You buy with the intention to upgrade to a better home. I would say pretty disheartening actually since you definitely can't swap a 1000sqm land and double-storey house in Glen Waverley with a house in Hawthorn on 300sqm land. Remember, 20 years ago, this 1000sqm land in Glen Waverley was worth more than the 'measly' 300sqm land in Hawthorn with some rubbish timber weatherboard cottage house. Let's see who is laughing now?

Anyways, on another matter, Point Cook would find it hard to reach the likes of Box Hill and Glen Waverley because Point Cook is essentially in the West and we all know how western property values have fared over the past 30 years. Dismal! I will say it again, 'the poor get poorer and the rich gets richer'.

DeeHwa, Aazar and Deltaberry, instead of bashing Point Cook, why don't you suggest to the OP what is the best place in Melbourne to buy for under 350K?

No point extolling the merit of buying in Toorak when what the OP is looking for is under 350K.

Wherever DeeHwa, Aazar and Deltaberry congregate, the thread becomes interesting.

Only if you participate too. No need to get personal. Not trying to belittle you or anything though might have done that inadvertently

In other news, good to see Brunswick (where deehua bought) rise 15% or 16% when I looked in the papers yesterday from Q3 to Q4. Did anyone catch how much Point Cook rose by? Think it was sub 5%. Oh well at least it proves market prices aren't driven by a few posts on the internet.

Trying to get this thread back on topic, I too am looking for a lower price property. ISTM that Sunshine, Deer Park and Ardeer should benefit in time from the new regional rail link. I would be grateful for any comments on a property like the following: http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2008116393 - 3 bed 2 bath house very near Deer Park station. I've never been to Deer Park so no idea of the area. A web search shows this property was last listed to rent at $240pw so in today's market this would suggest a price of $270-280K which seems cheap for a 3/2/2 house.

As a sidenote am I the only one who thinks this agent is not earning his money with no plans and only one photo provided?

Tony, do you know what they are asking?

Personally, I must admit, my first thought was "ugh, that's ugly", but that would be an emotional response (so probably best ignored).

No idea on the price. From looking at the map it looks like it's on a plot that has been subdivided so you're buying for income, not potential.

Great post.
Just wanted to point out, for the record, that that fatal stabbing was in Yarraville - Cruickshank Park to be precise. And that the median house price in Footscray is now $600,000. cheers.:)

Back