Melbourne vs Perth

You remind me of an ostrich with its head in the sand.

Haha that's funny. I guess what you are trying to say is Australian real estate is over priced and too risky to invest at current prices?? If that is the case, what if u are wrong? If a crash were to happen then many Australians here are screwed big time...

the question is would you touch any aussie real estate? Perth has had a severe dose of medicine and there could be more to come. Contagion and reality is yet to hit the other cities. If you were to step back and say right, national living standards are falling dramatically, what is the likelihood for sustained property price increases? particularly in markets that are at 12 oclock?

Not Perth at the moment.
I have another development site in Perth which I was planning to develop later this year/early next year, however I am sitting back, watching and waiting.

I may possibly put together plans and have builders quote the project. If building costs start to fall back enough then perhaps I may go ahead, only if I think it will stack up and this particular pocket stays solid. At this point I really don't know, time will tell.

If things don't go so well for Perth over the next 6 months, then I will just continue to rent the property and wait for the right time.

I am starting my project in Melb which is currently a strong market and looking for another development site, I am much more comfortable with this market at the moment. There is pent up demand and stock is low, driving the market up, however, also making it hard to source suitable properties.

MTR:)

Europe has culture, Melbourne has restaurants and some good sporting events.
Perth has been growing quickly over the past 5-10 years, whether this continues at the same rate is yet to be seen and is debatable, is it likely?

Different strokes for different folks.

What can I say Paris, New York, Perth, Melb, Syd, Girrawheen:eek: just a silly private joke in my head

Seriously, who cares, it is what it is, no competition here, I have travelled extensively, sure many of us have but where we choose to live is because of lifestyle. I love Melb for the restaurants, people but I don't like the climate. Love Syd for the magnificent views of the harbour etc etc. Love Perth cos I have family here, can't beat south west and the wineries, all to their own.

We don't have to be another Paris or New York?? Culture, we have our own Culture, at least that is how I see it

MTR:)

Last edited:
I think all our capital cities are great places to live, some I would rather visit for a holiday than live in as life would be much harder there IMO

Aldi update- Extract from Facebook
Just reposting the Aldi locations opening in WA next year for those that haven't been following: Cannington, Southern River, Halls Head, Hilton, Kwinana, Rockingham, Australind, South Lake, Joondalup, Camillo, Midland, Mundaring, Ellenbrook

if the reference to one trick pony is to Perth then it's misguided as it only seems like that to outsiders because (a) it's a simple and convenient box to tick and (b) mining and oil are such strong industries that pay the way for the entire nation, so it seems like the most important thing andhence overshadows all else. Melbourne doesn't actually do much, fortunately education sales is apparently a big thing and that should benefit from the falling dollar, particularly when the impact of the car industry closure flows through. Having said that I think all the cities sell degrees?

Had a chuckle at the second comment because I think you mean Melbourne? I doubt "most people in the world" have even heard of Melbourne. Outsiders' knowledge is limited pretty much to bondi beach and the opera house.

I believe in supply and demand. I read this...

dsrdata.com.au/blog/2015/2015-04-27-supply-and-demand-in-capitals

It looks at supply and demand of cities in Australia on charts for last years. If you can believe it Sydney is still best!

But the last words written...

"...investors can find great opportunities in just about every city and make bad decisions in just about every city too".

Back