Melbourne vs Perth

If it is 10pm I cant imagine I would choose shopping over being in a nice bar or catching a concert?

As long as there are supermarkets that are 24/7 it suits me.

The problem is, you open an Aldi and all the east coasters start moving in.

Sometimes in order to keep the trash out you need to make some minute sacrifices.

I'm all for competition because we as consumers all benefit and that's a good thing. People vote with their feet.

No city can flourish if it's run as a closed shop, pardon the pun ;)

You must be joking, seriously this is incredibly high risk at the moment, this market is still falling including rents, with an oversupply of stock its not going anywhere.

Mining is a dead duck at the moment and companies are sacking not employing people. Recovery could be 10-20 years away, mining cycles are not like property cycles, 7-10 years.

MTR:)

ooh I love it, absolute despair, now I know it is time to enter!

you can't make this vision happen with house prices below replacement cost:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/spe...es-of-the-future/story-fnmx16d1-1227114640097

not to mention organic growth. Don't get distracted with mining cycles... cycle analysis is fine when all things are equal however they are not when you look at human expansion, china, india etc it is a linear growth till we hit implosion. If you were talking about Newman then my position would be quite different

Melbourne, easy. Perth won't even reach Melbourne's current population in 15 years, nor have its culture etc. Yet its prices are almost on par.

I think we all know better than to equate population to house prices

as for culture... we're talking Australia here. One hipster in a cafe doesn't form a cultural mecca!

ooh I love it, absolute despair, now I know it is time to enter!

you can't make this vision happen with house prices below replacement cost:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/spe...es-of-the-future/story-fnmx16d1-1227114640097

not to mention organic growth. Don't get distracted with mining cycles... cycle analysis is fine when all things are equal however they are not when you look at human expansion, china, india etc it is a linear growth till we hit implosion. If you were talking about Newman then my position would be quite different

Despair, you bet, falls of 30%+ and rents in free fall, good word to describe this is despair or disaster for those who purchased $1M properties that are probably now worth only $600K??

Jump in for a bargain there are plenty if that is what you call them.

Melbourne, easy. Perth won't even reach Melbourne's current population in 15 years, nor have its culture etc. Yet its prices are almost on par.

I agree with this.
Value is subjective to each individual; for me the value simply isn't there ie what you get for the price that you pay. Perth would have to be about 20% less than current median prices to be attractive against Melbourne.

I agree with this.
Value is subjective to each individual; for me the value simply isn't there ie what you get for the price that you pay. Perth would have to be about 20% less than current median prices to be attractive against Melbourne.

Are you sure about that? Perth is the fastest growing city in Australia. We just hit 2 million people recently. This is less than half the population of Melbourne. However, we are growing at a faster rate. I know property price doesn't correlate with just population. But Perth is a very nice city and has beautiful beaches close by which Melbourne does't have. Perth also has better weather and the flights to Asia is much cheaper with the time zone been similar. This would attract an influx of asians to the city particularly from emerging countries.

Are you sure about that? Perth is the fastest growing city in Australia. We just hit 2 million people recently. This is less than half the population of Melbourne. However, we are growing at a faster rate. I know property price doesn't correlate with just population. But Perth is a very nice city and has beautiful beaches close by which Melbourne does't have. Perth also has better weather and the flights to Asia is much cheaper with the time zone been similar. This would attract an influx of asians to the city particularly from emerging countries.

Not only this I forgot to mention the income in Perth is higher than Melbourne. So you could say it's reasonable for house prices to be on par with Melbourne. HOWEVER, because I am looking for houses in both Melbourne and Perth. It is in my opinion that Perth is relatively cheaper than Melbourne. People will say depends on which area. Yes I'm talking about good areas! You compare the top 10 areas in Perth and compare it with Melbourne. Which is cheaper?

On the other hand, I have to agree that Melbourne is lot more cultural in terms of places to eat and hangout. But as we get older our preferences in lifestyle change. Which city is better is purely subjective. Younger people will tend to choose melbourne over perth. Older people may choose perth over melbourne. It all depends on peoples preferences.

Europe has culture, Melbourne has restaurants and some good sporting events.
Perth has been growing quickly over the past 5-10 years, whether this continues at the same rate is yet to be seen and is debatable, is it likely?

I agree with this.

out of interest, how far out of the GPO is a Perth median home compared to Melbourne does anyone know?

value is definitely subjective. Nothing against Melbourne it's perfectly fine but I can't think of a single reason to want to go there. I do love Sydney tho, zipping around the harbour in the ferries, Doyles fish and chips and Manly is cool... ah those balmy days on the Manly ferry...

Jo
You are completely missing the point.. you are ignoring the markets today, yet you want to buy today/in this market. What will happen in 5 years who knows its all guess work and opinions, we all have these like belly buttons.

If you are buying in a declining market What do you think will happen in 12 months?? It's not rocket science

I think I have said enough, some people may get it

the question is would you touch any aussie real estate? Perth has had a severe dose of medicine and there could be more to come. Contagion and reality is yet to hit the other cities. If you were to step back and say right, national living standards are falling dramatically, what is the likelihood for sustained property price increases? particularly in markets that are at 12 oclock?

Not only this I forgot to mention the income in Perth is higher than Melbourne. So you could say it's reasonable for house prices to be on par with Melbourne. HOWEVER, because I am looking for houses in both Melbourne and Perth. It is in my opinion that Perth is relatively cheaper than Melbourne. People will say depends on which area. Yes I'm talking about good areas! You compare the top 10 areas in Perth and compare it with Melbourne. Which is cheaper?

On the other hand, I have to agree that Melbourne is lot more cultural in terms of places to eat and hangout. But as we get older our preferences in lifestyle change. Which city is better is purely subjective. Younger people will tend to choose melbourne over perth. Older people may choose perth over melbourne. It all depends on peoples preferences.

You remind me of an ostrich with its head in the sand.

Jo
You are completely missing the point.. you are ignoring the markets today, yet you want to buy today/in this market. What will happen in 5 years who knows its all guess work and opinions, we all have these like belly buttons.

If you are buying in a declining market What do you think will happen in 12 months?? It's not rocket science

I think I have said enough, some people may get it

Actually after re reading all your comments again it makes a lot of sense. Many thanks for your thoughts and input. This forum is excellent I never knew there were so many smart people out there.

Back