Melbourne : WTB Bulldog Puppy

I am trying find someone that has britsh bulldog puppies for sale.

I have looked on a lot of sites and trading post, etc including breeders and they are not very easy to find.

If anyone knows someone that is selling some or works in a pet store that can help please give me a buzz 0407 121 656

[email protected]

thanks

Hi,

If you're searching for a reputable breeder I wouldn't begin searching in the trading post or speaking to people in a pet store.

A good, reputable breeder (opposed to a backyard breeder or puppy farm) will generally have a waiting list for their available puppies and will ask for applications from potential owners to ensure suitability.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppies/british-bulldog.asp is a good start. The site generally features puppies from registered breeders.

British bulldogs are rare and for that reason expensive. Expect to pay around $3k - which if you think long-term isn't a bad investment :) They will live for 10-15 years, provide unlimited love, loyalty and laughs.

I'm not sure how much research you've done but being brachycephalic (flat face) means they cannot be exerted in hotter climates (they struggle trying to regulate their temp). They'll also likely need regular attention to their skin folds - especially on the face.

I own two pugs - pretty much our fur children. They have similar characteristics to bulldogs, just much much smaller.

Have you considered French bulldogs? Their kind of a mix between British bulldogs and pugs - they have bat ears. Tough looking little dudes but also cost a packet.

Best of luck with your search - remember its a long term commitment.

Jamie

I have been looking everywhere.

Over the last 3 months i have registered with a heap of breeders, asking a lot of questions and suggestions.

I am on the listing with a few respected breeders already.

I have heard alot of comments regarding health, breathing issues, issues with heat and over exherting and pushing them too hard.

I have a lot of shade at my place and had water drinking fountain and splash bath ready for when he is bigger.

I have been expecting to pay anywhere from $3000 to $5000 for a puppy.

Thank you everyone for your advice

Yeah, they'll be subject to a few breed related health issues (but most breeds are subject to one particular health issue or another).

We were told by so many people not to buy a pug (for the same reasons people are turned off bulldogs). We were told their eyes can pop out, they need to have their nostrils enlarged to breathe properly, ect.

We had our hearts set on a pug so we got one (well now we have two). We got our dogs from reputable breeders and they haven't shown any health issues so far (touch wood). We're also mindful of the weather and the effects it has on our no-eyed, breathless dogs (just joking, their eyes haven't popped out and they breathe just fine - the snoring and farting can be quite loud.....can also be very funny)

Buying from a good, reputable breeder will likely mean you're buying a healthy pup that had been bred from good blood-lines. It's just the waiting part that sucks! We waited a year before we got our first pug. But waiting for a qaulity pup is definately worth it - like I said before, they'll be hanging around for 10-15 years :)

Cheers

Jamie

oh, and there's no need to restrict your searching to Victoria. It's common for breeders to fly their pups interstate - our second dog came from Adelaide to Canberra (it cost an extra $100 for the flight).

Cheers

Jamie

Just a quick update. On the weekend i picked up a Bulldog from a breeder.

Havnt decided on a name, but he is a tough little man. Off to the vet this afternoon for a check up and worming.

Congrats!

You'll have to post a pic! Has he got a name yet? Whatever you do, don't let a wife/girlfriend/female name him or he'll end up with something masculine like "Toddie" :( I have the joy of yelling out that name in public everyday. It could be worse though - met a guy the other day who's partner had named their dog "oprah"

I was really happy with the breeder. She wasnt one of those dogs are humans kinda people if you know what i mean. She was down to earth and is a geniune animal lover.

She gave me great advice on feeding and toilet training, how to wash him, how to keep him cool and alot of other things.

he is very social already and just loves attention.

Here is a pic of him just after we got home

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 86
Congrats!

You'll have to post a pic! Has he got a name yet? Whatever you do, don't let a wife/girlfriend/female name him or he'll end up with something masculine like "Toddie" :( I have the joy of yelling out that name in public everyday. It could be worse though - met a guy the other day who's partner had named their dog "oprah"

LOL... Oprah... Im trying to think of a British related name. I am all over google the last 24 hours but havnt come up with anything perfect yet.

Cool looking dog!

Some British names that come to mind - Winston, or Churchill.. but they're not very masculine.

Why not an aussie name like Bruce (the bruiser) ;)

OMG - I am having a cute attack!!! He is adorable!
And I'm so glad that you went to a reputable breeder. My husband works with dogs & i can't tell you the heartbreak we've seen from pet owners buying from shops or dodgy breeders who breed dogs without proper health screening.

I think Winston is a good name, btw. Some others:
Harold
Aloysius
Alfred
Albert....Why am i only thinking of names starting with "A"?

vbplease is right that these are v. distinguished & proper, but i think this suits bulldogs' personalities.

Back