Melton (VIC) buy or not to buy?

Hi All,

We are thinking to buy investment property in Melton. We can find a property within our budget in Melton. We are thinking in Melton west.

Anyone have any thought on this.

We are thinking in Melton west. Anyone have any thought on this.

Yes. Do a google search. site:somersoft.com "melton"
and read the many, many threads already posted on the subject......and if Melton does not float your boat then perhaps try the same search with "frankston" :p:D

Honestly wouldn't you be better off investing in shares? With the capital you're talking about, you really won't get any value for investing in real estate in Melton. When you consider 6% stamp duty, land tax etc you should consider equities

shares are going to take hit. Brisbane floods leading to reduced production of resources of some major listed companes which form part of ASX200 companies.
GDP going down, inflation going up. I don't believe shares are a good option

Unless you buy shorts using options or CFDs (try igmarkets -there're not bad)

if i'm not mistaken - melton is going to have a mosque built? don't quote me on that. If that is the case expect some reasonable growth being ethnic communities would be moving there

Not a bad place to start, Yields are pretty good relative to the rest of Melb. Entry point pretty low, plenty of tenants, lots of infrastructure happening.

One of the biggest challenges of investing in a city you know is to put aside preconceived prejudices and evaluate an area unemotionally without preconceived ideas.

Land prices have been rising(despite tons of it waiting in the winds) and will probably continue to do so with Govt/Council snouts in the trough.
CG over the last 4 years has been good(around 60%). I still own one there and sold the 2nd one last month.

That's smart.

Well technically if you short a stock you are earning interest on the balance, not paying it. Plus I use Macquarie which allows me to do proper shorting so no CFDs involved.

I am new to shares and IP, this is our first investment property planning to buy. I am planing to visit Melton this weekend or next weekend and chat with few real estate.

A different perspective from the anti Melton brigade.....

60% capital gain since 2006 ...... and currently 9.2% gross rent yield on our IP's in Melton. Yep ... really crap place to invest according to the anti Melton-ites... Give me this sort of return anytime .....

Mystery

Last edited:
Fixed income (hybrids/bonds),non-beta stocks and companies with inflation hedged incomes (e.g. monopolistic utilities) are good investments for 2011.

I believe the general stockmarket and property prices will be stagnant well into 2012.:)

I am new to shares and IP, this is our first investment property planning to buy. I am planing to visit Melton this weekend or next weekend and chat with few real estate.
A good idea to go and visit Melton and have a look around. I recently purchased a block of land in the Botanica Springs estate in Brookfield, which is just east of Melton South. It was my first investment property and we started building on the land this week. I purchased the land in May, 2010 for around $120k and the land two blocks down just went on the market for $178k. So lets say that the block is overpriced and it only sells for $160k. Guess what all you nay-sayers about Melton? It's still gone up $40k in value in less then a year. Pretty good in my books. Anywhooo. I strongly recommend you go down to Melton, have a look around the town, the other suburbs and get a feel for the place.

Do go and have a word with the real estate agents but remember - they are trying to sell a product and as such, will only do what they want, according to their agenda. They aren't there to help you, they are there to help their clients.

Thanks guys for your information,We are going to visit Melton next weekend and also watch the other places and see whether anything come up under my budget.

Back