Mens Fashion Question

Obviously they aint appelaing to westies or meatheads (and other judgemental people), so keeping them away is almost a good enough reason to wear them.

But as Vicenzo points out, for those who can wear them, it projects
I'm conservative, old fashion, I know my sheet and I mean biz.
And if you don't like, go back to your cave before uttering a single word cause you just aint in the league (to those who wish to judge).

Then again, this country isnt really known for culture, style and fashion.
It a marketers dream for anything meathead/macho, which they often use for their marketing experiments.

And why do so many care so much anyway about who wears what :confused:

Braces are not for a professional office imo..how do i know this.....well maybe i work in a professional office and they are not worn or considered everyday wear.....simple....

neither are tatts, body piercings, or males with faux hawk, shag, punk hair styling. I want my professionals obsessing about their profession, not their "branding".

Re braces, I think they are a good thing for fatter guys. Many have trouble with belts staying at the right height. plain physics I'm afraid.

edit: I don't think they are as comfortable in a warmer climate. They hold the shirt close on the skin and cause perspiration staining under and along the braces.

some new grad in our office wore braces in his first week on the job.....lets just say he hasnt worn them again...now before you all jump to conclusions, no one said anything to him that i know of but they just do not fit the professional images in aussie offices.

I bet there are at least a few accountants in high places on collins st that wear braces to work... i'll have to remember to take a photo of one the next time I see one.

Phone cam of course, i'll pretend i'm reading a txt message or something :D

vincenzo - I have been caught taking a pic of someone in QV building once. He had a flat top and was dressed like MC Hammer .. like seriously a big flat top. Be careful with that picture taking.

I can say I have not seen my office of accountants wear braces. Maybe in the public practice. LOL cos those CAs are always a little weirder.

You made it obvious!

1) don't put on an "OW WOW" look or start smiling, try to be relax, you could think about eating a pancake
2) act like your phone just vibrated, and take it out
3) whilst pretending to be reading an interesting sms or email, select the camera option from your phone
4) don't forget to turn off the flash option! and then look around/up/down/towards the subject, as if you heard someone call your name from that direction
5) your phone is now facing the subject, so you can take a picture, and then slowly rotate back to the direction you were previously facing
6) upload to somersoft

Obviously they aint appelaing to westies or meatheads (and other judgemental people), so keeping them away is almost a good enough reason to wear them.

But as Vicenzo points out, for those who can wear them, it projects
I'm conservative, old fashion, I know my sheet and I mean biz.
And if you don't like, go back to your cave before uttering a single word cause you just aint in the league (to those who wish to judge).

Then again, this country isnt really known for culture, style and fashion.
It a marketers dream for anything meathead/macho, which they often use for their marketing experiments.

And why do so many care so much anyway about who wears what :confused:

Exactly....

Hahaha...

My subscription to this thread must have died with all the posts.

Never knew braces would create such a reaction, maybe this is the very reason why im thinking of wearing them in my future job. ;)

To those who have asked in here and in PM, yes, I have a new job. No, its not in real estate as I was originally planning but in new car sales.

The reason behind considering wearing braces is both for practical reasons and for fashion.

They will be used to keep my pants from falling. Im a hefty 120kg @ 5ft 9" tall, so not matter how tight I have my belt, my pants tend to creep downward hahaha. Also, its different, you hardly see people my age wear them in a business setting. When ever I see a business man wearing a nice set of braces it conjures up visions of billionaires and Wall St.

Hey, who knows, when a customer leaves my office and returns when im not there, if they forget my name, they can refer to me as "The guy with braces" to the other sales guys. hahaha

P.S. Ill be trying them on and getting various opinions on how they look on me. Im aware only some people can pull off the business/wall st look with braces and I will be making sure I dont make a complete D ick of myself. Hahaha Just doing what ive read and been told by a few mentors, thinking outside the square ;)

Hey, if I decide to buy a pair, ill have a little fashion photoshoot and post the photos in here, then you can all have a say on how they look on a 30yo guy. hahaha

Cheers

Mick

How are you going with the new car sales?
Can you disclose with brand?

I interviewed with a car sales agency but they never got back to me. I wonder if I should pursue that. Am sick of my current work.

How are you going with the new car sales?
Can you disclose with brand?

I interviewed with a car sales agency but they never got back to me. I wonder if I should pursue that. Am sick of my current work.

Have not started work at the new job yet, start in 2 weeks time. :D

Can I disclose the brand? Sure. :D

I actually work for a company who own a collective of dealerships, ill be working in the Kia dealership selling new and used cars. They also have a Proton and Isuzu Ute dealer in the one location, so im assuming ill be selling all 3 brands.

Good luck with finding a job yourself, I have been looking and applying for over 12 months. I love cars and enjoyed sales when I was doing it a few years ago, so putting them together seems a logical choice for me. Will update in here on how I go with the new job, oh, and also with the braces once I buy some. :D

Cheers

Mick

Hey Mick,

One of the most successful real estate agents around these parts is famous for wearing them. Most people know his name, but everyone knows he's "the guy who has the braces".

He's been at it successfully selling real estate for over 50 years now, is well into his 70's and loving life. He's the first in the office and the last to leave.

He is also a tad rotund, and probably wears them for practical reasons.

Not as bad as the union officials like itinerantotter referred to earlier, but a practical usage can be seen for sure. I don't think anyone would be game enough to dack him.

Having a visual point of difference is good in my opinion - especially if you are in sales. Being boring and biege, as Billy Connelly terms them, is not where you want to be.

Of course, when you don't have to answer to a boss, or some silent imposed corporate code, you are quite at liberty to scruff around in your boardies or PJ's at 2 in the afternoon closing deals that others dressed up to the wazoo could only dream of. Think about it. :)

UPDATE :

Purchased a pair of braces today. Nice set of black ones with white stripes on them. Tried them on and they feel great. :D

I will do a little dress rehearsal tonight with my suit on to see how they look, may even take a few photos and post them here for you to judge how they look.

What this space... :D

Cheers, Mick

Back