mental method

thought id share a few things I've learnt over the years.

Something I found to be true was that at the higher levels of sport most individuals and teams were relatively even. every athlete / team shared similar fitness levels, skills, size and relative speed.

the differentiating factor between the good and the great, the inconsistent and the enduring is mentality. For some it is ingrained in the culture of a club and therefore inherited. For others it's a process to be worked upon and refined. For others still it's a thought process they used without ever specifically identifying it.

I was lucky enough to learn from a great sports psych about the way my mind works. At one time I was driven by a desire to prove others wrong which was great but difficult to consistently maintain. Over a period of 12 months we broke down my defence mechanisms (and believe me there were a few) which were all there to disguise the all too common fear of failure. Casting this aside was one of the cleanest mental feelings ever.

The psych then encouraged me to imagine a mental circle. Into this circle I would only allow things I could control. I boiled it down to what I ate, how long I slept, my attitude to training, the thoughts I thought and the studying my opponents. In effect this was 'preparation'.

Everything else I could not control or influence stayed outside of the circle. Partner problems, coaches opinions, friends, weather, opposition.

This helped enormously and helped with focus, stress levels etc. It led to confidence as I had done all I could to prepare.

I now know this mentality can be called upon in all aspects of life.

The question I want to ask is.... "What is your mental method and how have you related it to property?"

Hi, Tab

I'll give this a go.

I remember reading this one book that talked about focusing on what one could control and expanding on that area of control. My approach to property is to do what I can on the areas I can control, like researching on what type of property we want, what our budget is.

Doing as much as possible without overcooking it, I also recognise there are many uncontrollable factors, and if things do not go as plan, then I have to focus on being able to provide the solutions.

This approach has helped me in my property investing so far. Then again, I have just started out on my investing journey with one IP.

Regards
Daniel

The question I want to ask is.... "What is your mental method and how have you related it to property?"

Never thought about this. But now I am...

Couldn't tell you what the first step is, except to say that I think we get an idea and then start moving in that direction subconsciously, and the steps required to get to the end come into your path and you follow them, scale the hurdles and keep going..

But, to me; this applies to our whole life; not just property investing.

The pivotal thing in all this is motivation.

A lot of people find it hard to motivate themselves to do much at all in life. They look for "the path of least resistance".

In regards to property investing, most people - from what I've seen and heard;
1. don't believe they can do it, and
2. think it's all too hard,
3. too risky, and so on.

They give up and look for excuses to justify why they do nothing; "no time", "not the right time" you need money to make money" and so on.

Tab:
thought id share a few things I've learnt over the years.

Something I found to be true was that at the higher levels of sport most individuals and teams were relatively even. every athlete / team shared similar fitness levels, skills, size and relative speed.

Yes, it's interesting isn't it, a similar thing with racing horses, there can be a great improvement in perceived Ordinary/too slow horses if they are interval trained and housed out of 10 x 10 stables, with best practise feeding/conditioning...HOWEVER not that many so called professional trainers are prepared to embrace expanding their mindset ...the breakdown attrition rate of horses in Oz is one of the worst in the world, it's not difficult to look to places and adopt more effective techniques. But many don't choose to do that, it never fails to surprise me.

the differentiating factor between the good and the great, the inconsistent and the enduring is mentality. For some it is ingrained in the culture of a club and therefore inherited. For others it's a process to be worked upon and refined. For others still it's a thought process they used without ever specifically identifying it.

Our minds and thoughts and ability to learn and unlearn is a great resource.

I was lucky enough to learn from a great sports psych about the way my mind works. At one time I was driven by a desire to prove others wrong which was great but difficult to consistently maintain. Over a period of 12 months we broke down my defence mechanisms (and believe me there were a few) which were all there to disguise the all too common fear of failure. Casting this aside was one of the cleanest mental feelings ever.

The psych then encouraged me to imagine a mental circle. Into this circle I would only allow things I could control. I boiled it down to what I ate, how long I slept, my attitude to training, the thoughts I thought and the studying my opponents. In effect this was 'preparation'.

Have you ever read Choice Theory? (William Glasser):
The term choice theory is the work of William Glasser, MD, author of the book so named, and is the culmination of some 50 years of theory and practice in psychology and counseling. Choice Theory posits that behavior is central to our existence and is driven by five genetically driven needs, similar to those of Abraham Maslow:

Survival (food, clothing, shelter, breathing, personal safety and others)
and four fundamental psychological needs:

Belonging/connecting/love
Power/significance/competence
Freedom/responsibility, and
Fun/learning
Choice Theory posits the existence of a "Quality World" in which, starting at birth and continuing throughout our lives, we place the people who are important to us, things we prize, and systems of belief, i.e. religion, cultural values and icons, etc. Glasser also posits a "Comparing Place" in which we compare the world we experience with our Quality World. We behave to achieve as best we can a real world experience consistent with our Quality World.

You and he are crossing paths by the sound.

Everything else I could not control or influence stayed outside of the circle. Partner problems, coaches opinions, friends, weather, opposition.

This helped enormously and helped with focus, stress levels etc. It led to confidence as I had done all I could to prepare.

I now know this mentality can be called upon in all aspects of life.

My mind, as a tool that I want to utilise as well as I possibly can. To life, my relationships, my endeavours, my property investing.

I think that also encompasses my desire for fun and a great journey in all that I do..

A work in progress.

Back