Mentor - Dip of Fin. planning

Anyone have any comments on this service provider? And what would be the best entry course into financial planning?

Hi don't know the company you are talking about, but i enrolled in the RG146 (Dip financial planning) through an on-line provider.

IMO most of the material is not conducive to wealth creation. I did not feel comfortable with the idea of asking customers to do what I believed was not in their best interest. The books and my money have now been thrown in the bin.

I suggest you talk to a financial planner about what they do before you enrol.

Hi don't know the company you are talking about, but i enrolled in the RG146 (Dip financial planning) through an on-line provider.

IMO most of the material is not conducive to wealth creation. .

the reality is much course material and subsequent work is about risk mitigation and compliance

ta
rolf

*delete anti-financial planning dribble*

As per the previous post. Are you after a job in financial planning or into helping people become financially free. They are not mutually exclusive, I am however yet to meet a financial planner who knows what they are talking about.

*delete anti-financial planning dribble*

As per the previous post. Are you after a job in financial planning or into helping people become financially free. They are not mutually exclusive, I am however yet to meet a financial planner who knows what they are talking about.

After passing the hurdle to become a truly independent financial planner ... you have to find someone who is prepared to insure you !!

No problem getting insurance to peddle other providers inappropriate products.

Oh ... wait a minute. Surely the insurance industry is not colluding to prevent unbiased advice ?

After passing the hurdle to become a truly independent financial planner ... you have to find someone who is prepared to insure you !!

No problem getting insurance to peddle other providers inappropriate products.

Oh ... wait a minute. Surely the insurance industry is not colluding to prevent unbiased advice ?

Hey,

You're a financial planner? Would love to meet you then I can change my opinion.

Haha, I've just had one too many dinners around a table where a financial planner was telling us all how to become truly financially independent.

I am however yet to meet a financial planner who knows what they are talking about.

there are lots though, just because we dont personally know any doesnt mean they dont exist.

I do very much understand where you are headed with that and would agree that many with the shingle are very one sided

ta
rolf

I met one last Sunday. Hmmm.... I think I should invoice him for my time. :mad:
He said he would email me with his 'proposal' but I think he was glad he escaped from my spread sheets :D

Hey,

You're a financial planner? Would love to meet you then I can change my opinion.

Haha, I've just had one too many dinners around a table where a financial planner was telling us all how to become truly financially independent.

At least it makes a change from Sydney people with one PPOR rabbiting on about their success with property.

Spend less than you earn and invest the rest.

There you go, now you know someone who works in the financial planning industry that knows what they are talking about!

Anyone have any comments on this service provider? And what would be the best entry course into financial planning?

You don't list the provider.

If you just want to become a financial planner the first step would be the RG146 course. You then have to find a company willing to take you on. Starting up on your own would cost you around $20,000 pa and would not be feasible without experience and a large client base.

Try to get into a bank - but then they will mold you into a sales person. Probably better to look for a smaller practice to join.

I've got a couple of Financial Planner mates.
One works for a bank the other a Super company.
I would take Financial advice from neither.
Other Financial planners I've spoken to just want to peddle insurance, or super investment schemes.
I'd go accountant/Construction Manager/Town Planner before FP personally.

Personal risk insurance (what planners start out selling) can form an important piece in a wealth creation strategy, especially if the unexpected happens, like death or disablement.

I do know of a few planners that are doing very well and have practiced what they preach and know there stuff inside out.

Terry w, can I ask a question please - would you recommend going for RG146 quals (which obviously aren't transferrable across to any credits towards an FPA), or going straight and doing an FPA Approved Degree?

Well that depends on what you want to do. The RG146 is needed to work in the industry. Once you are in as a financial planner people wouldn't care so much what your qualifications are. A degree will take 3 years and cost $25k plus. A RG146 Diploma would take a week and cost $1500.

A degree would naturally be better in terms of covering things more slowly and in depth, but probably a lot of superfluous fluff. I'd say try to get a foot in the door first and then consider a degree - but if you are going to go to the effort of a degree consider law instead.

Appreciate the feedback, Terry. I have been thinking more about law, as it happens, but want to try to get work in the FP industry so was wondering if the FPA qualification might be valuable.

Would you recommend anywhere in particular (online/external) to do the RG146 qualification course? I've seen Kaplan, but where else would you recommend?

FPA? Financial Planning Association?

I know they are pushing courses to try to get people to 'certified financial planner CFP' status. Just a way for them to make money I think. to do this I think you may need some sort of degree first.

Kaplan markets to the masses. I did my course through Dover RG146. The fee was only payable at the end and if you completed the course. and it covers SMSF which I think is an extra fee with Kaplan.

Not thinking of myself but my son who is currently doing a Diploma in International Finance. There has been another thread but can't find it where Deltaberry (I think?) talked a lot about the value of some courses that were offered outside of unis in the area of finance.
Once my son has completed his Diploma he will still only know some vague basics so the question is what is the best study course for someone wanting to get involved in the industry.

Back