Merry Christmas everyone!

Christmas has really sneaked up on me this year!!
What is everyone having on their Christmas menu?

I have organised seafood from a friend who is a fishmonger. There is a huge leg of ham in my fridge waiting to be glazed - I am a little scared that there is too much food.
A leg of lamb for the bbq on Boxing Day and homemade red bean and custard filled mochi for dessert and munchies. The last bit sounds weird but I love that stuff. Everyone else can just have cake I guess!

Very untraditional actually - lobster salad, sushi & sashimi, bbq items (that's the traditional part), turkey/ham, various homemade desserts I think (brulee/fondant/souffle)

my lead up to Christmas has been very chaotic... really busy at work, a 9 day hospital stay followed 4 days later by moving house last week..and then trying to catch up on all the work stuff that needed to be finished before Christmas.

today is my first day of annual leave.... so now its time to think about Christmas.

We are having a small brunch and dinner on Christmas day at our house (sitting around the unpacked boxes:p). Boxing day is our big bash, which fortunately is at my brothers house.

For Boxing Day, I'm bringing the salads. I'm planning on doing a BBQ duck noodle salad, rocket/roast pumpkin/sun dried tomato salad, and a mango/ cucumber/ chilli salad. The duck salad is a bit complex and time consuming, but the others are very easy.

Christmas dinner will be roast turkey (which we are going to have to do in the BBQ, cause the oven in our new place doesnt work properly! :mad:) and veges. I think I'm going to make a dessert that my mum used to make. Its like a chocolate mousse slice. I'll see how I go. Hubby and my sister in law are looking after the main meal.

Brunch is the one that has me challenged. My step daughter and son are coming with the 3 grandkids. and there'll be our family, plus 2 other adults. My hubby wants me to make a salmon mousse, again that my mum used to make! (but not sure if that will be entree for dinner, or for the brunch.).
Apart from that, I'm a bit stuck for ideas..... I was thinking about doing little bacon and egg canapes. pancakes with strawberries, banana bread, a fruit platter.... but if anyone has some other ideas for savoury things, I'd appreciate it!!

PennyK what about little savoury muffins? They are very easy to make to be honest. Use a basic muffin mixture, add cheese and bacon instead of sweet items. I would post a recipe but I winged it so much last time. But they are really nice.

And some mini quiches would be yummy. Puff pastry cut to 4 squares, put some cherry tomatoes cut in half on top and feta and baked.

PennyK what about little savoury muffins? They are very easy to make to be honest. Use a basic muffin mixture, add cheese and bacon instead of sweet items. I would post a recipe but I winged it so much last time. But they are really nice.

And some mini quiches would be yummy. Puff pastry cut to 4 squares, put some cherry tomatoes cut in half on top and feta and baked.

Ohhh, mini muffins is a great idea.. I can even probably buy a mix for that! ;) Its on the list!

I might use the tomato/ fetta combo on the little bread squares I'm making.

THANKS! great ideas!

yeah I've had some nice tasty cherry/grape tomatoes lately, perfect like this... a soft fetta like danish could go nice too

no basil / oregano or bit pepper to go with it ?

An item of food your mum made would be nice, however if time is an issue a nice Xmasy dessert is...

drizzle tropical juice (alcohol optional) to sm amount of crumbled dark fruit cake/pudding

add chopped green and red glazed cherries

add chopped walnuts

add these ingredients to 2 litres soft -slightly melted- vanilla ice cream and mix well

place all ingredients in a glad wrap lined bowl (s/steel pudding shaped bowl is idea) and freeze in freezer.

Whatever the oil company dishes up for me.

I am working over xmas so I can get closer to the end goal. Hoping these sacrifices are rewarded with more ip's as xmas presents in the future.:)

We're celebrating first xmas in the new ppor; having the SIL, BIL and Inlaws over to stay on xmas eve and will be doing the dinner that night instead of next day. Xmas day has too much else going on for all concerned with travel for them, work for my wife etc.

Having a mixture of small finger food type things - mostly seafood, but with a few other assorted culture nibbles such as satay chicken skewers, curry puffs, etc.

Merry Xmas everyone.

My wife was goon to spend the day at a riverside BBQ with me tagging along, with a lot of her compatriots. However it looks like rain so our house has been nominated as the substitute venue.

That's unfortunate as I will have to go to the shop after not too much time. I have painting to do and it's the only time the shop is closed for two days straight, for painting to be done. Ceiling requires a thorough sugar soap clean and repaint.

Back