Merry Christmas!!

W

WebBoard

Well Everyone,

Here we are, another year over,

The year started of with big changes to the forum, in fact a new forum, not everyone was happy about this, but most of us embraced the new format and carried on asking questions and answering questions and discussing the investing world’s nuances.

Many friendships have formed from this forum, this to me is the thing I cherish most about this forum, to have so many likeminded friends in this environment is a blessing.

I would like to reflect a moment on the calibre of contributors we have on this forum, we are so lucky to have such fine people discussing issues that are close to all our hearts, and that we can learn from, it could be argued that people who contribute most to this forum are out to make a buck for themselves only, I disagree, that may have been correct for a short time for some, but once they become involved in our community you see them change from ‘spammer’ to genuine interest and want, to help each other out.

I am missing Mike. He was the dude who kept all highlights of the forum, and would have posted a “highlights of the Year”, but alas, Mike. Went to England, and is obviously having a lot of fun at the moment, so I am going to attempt to fill in his shoes just for today.

Highlights of the Year;
On the 26th Feb 2001, Ian Somers switched us to this new forum, some of us cried a LOT about loosing the old forum, but mostly we embraced this new format. Heres some randomly selected posts from that time;

Topic: Welcome (13 of 21), Read 1119 times
Conf: Property Investor Forum

Date: Friday, March 02, 2001 09:17 AM
Give it time and let's be positive. It was a bit like going from Windows 3.11 --> Windows 95. Nobody liked it at the start, but now would never turn back. It's the old case of "being afraid of change". Let's give it a fair go.

Topic: Welcome (15 of 21), Read 1029 times

Date: Friday, March 02, 2001 05:17 PM
This format is so much easier to access and read the current topics without having to wade deep into the forum to get the relevant replies, or is that because its so new and not many posts yet?....

One thing that could be updated for the Aussies on this forum is the date its 1/3/01 not 3/1/01 - Its not January anymore Its March :)

Sandy

Whatever happened to SandyC ?

Ok, then the fun and games started, we had topics on things such as The CASHFLOW GAMES (boy did that spawn some parties)

Topic: Cashflow v Monopoly (1 of 15), Read 1368 times

Date: Thursday, March 01, 2001 10:25 PM
Hi all

In reading the most addition to the Rich Dad Poor Dad collection.....rich kid smart kid.....Robert paints a strong picture re the influence that monopoly has had on his strategy for investing.

Anyone care to comment?

Although I have three to go, for me this seems to be quite sound advice, that is;

Purchase four houses\units
Purchase one hotel, business, block of units

Any tales to tell from the seasoned investors out there as to the process you followed? GC, TW, Les....et al.

Other interests we had were;
Buyer Agents
Business entities
Depreciation schedules
The Chat room
Research
Due Diligence

We also had many discussions on;

No Deposit strategies
No Deposit No Equity Strategies
No Deposit No Equity No strategy strategies ( goodness!)

We all wanted to know about;

Switched on Accountants
Renovations
Wraps vs Lease Options
Investing outside you comfort zone
Suburbs about to boom
Rural Ip’s
FHOG
Software

We decided some of the many ways to invest were;
Duplex, bed sits, granny flats, Units, townhouses, Boarding Houses, 3 bedders, 4x2’s Apartments, Garages, beach shacks. Student accommodation, subdivisions, syndicates, OTP, Deceased Estates, Developing, Housing commission, DHA, serviced apartments, commercial, holiday rentals, hobby farms, farms.
Positive cashflow
Negative gearing
Leases
Property managers
FINANCE! IO/PI

EEEEK, the discussions on mentoring were plenty:
Mentoring
CGT
2nd tier marketers
Stamp Duty
Quantity Surveyors
Recessions
Asset Protection
Seminars
Clubs
Tax

Human spell checkers (what’s wrong with my speling??)
Yes, what exactly is wrong with my spelling?

Also;

Insurance
Flipping
FIN TERMS_.DOC (245KB)
Financial Terms Financial Terms Thanks Firefrog

And a whole lot more!!! (Go thru the archives)

Christmas is upon us, and the New Year looms, who ever would have thought this time last year of all the monumental things that have happened to our world. It certainly has been a shocker of a year globally.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank our hosts Jan and Ian Somers for this forum, and to thank all the contributors to the forum.

So many things were discussed on this forum this year, all very enlightening, freestylers was formed this year, and we thank all the people who have helped contribute to make freestylers real, especially those cheeky coordinators around the country, without them the meetings wouldn’t be as exciting.

I would like to take this opportunity to you all a very Merry Christmas, and the best of Health and Happiness in the New Year.

Cheers TW

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

And a big merry Christmas to you too Nivia!

I have enjoyed being part of this forum so much I decided to join Freestylers myself. I look forward to many more informative posts and I, like many of you reading, am highly appreciative of all the regulars and non regulars who willingly share their knowledge and experiences. I have learnt a hell of a lot, in one short year.

Well done everyone and keep the forum going, as it is a fantastic resource!
Cheers and Merry Xmas to all, Jacque :)

Reply: 1.1

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!

Thanks for all your help over the last few years. I found the forum about a month after Les (a long time ago) and although a lot of the originals have gone now, they have been replaced with many others. I've read and learned soooo much from everyone that it has helped me reach a fair few of my goals. Without the knowledge and inspiration of the others on this forum, this might not have been the case.

This last year has been a doozie because of the weirdness in the market but the forum members grew exponentially so the answers to everyones questions were always there.

Thank you all and a special thanks to Jan and Ian for providing a great place to do it all.

Owen

"Gambling promises the poor what property performs for the rich – something for nothing"

Reply: 2

Well, couldn't resist adding to this post...

I would like to wholeheartedly wish everyone a very merry Xmas, and, most of all, a VERY happy new year.

One thing TW said, that I would like to really agree with is that I am very thankful for what I have got from this forum/chat room. Not the information, that is good too, but the very special friendships that I have made.

This year has been very tumultuous for me, and I would like to thank all my new friends for helping me through..

Well, in closing, A very merry xmas, (or whatever you celebrate ;o) ) to all!! Especially the Somers' for maintaining the forum.

*christmas kisses*

asy

There are no problems, only solutions which have not yet been discovered.

Reply: 2.1

I thought it was too early to post Merry Christmas messages, but I sit listening to the salvos brass bang wafting through my window ................. We wish you Merry Christmas and a Happy New year................ Good tidings we bring ...............

Take care and best wishes to all.

That all from me folks - Colin will be pleased ;^)

Michael Croft

Reply: 2.1.1

Bah Humbug.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 2.1.1.1

Oh okay... have a merry Christmas all and a safe and prosperous new year.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 2.1.1.1.1

Hi all,

Well it certainly has been a different year for me.

I have not had as much time on the forum lately as I would like . Mainly due to being "Mr Mum" most of the week. (Although my social life at playgroups has blossomed)
But in relation to property investments and developing it has been one of the most successful yrs thus far.(Is there a boom going on?)

Certainly though one of the most stressful yrs though(11th Sept along with other things. (My Crystal ball has also stopped working)
But I must say that I have enjoyed the time on the forum and hope whatever I have posted has been of use to people out there.

I have also very much enjoyed the few social gatherings that I have been able to attend.
Eg Big BBQ, and a couple of lunches along with X/mas party.
I am hoping to have a bit more spare time next yr and get along to some freestylers meetings.

(I may be allowed out as long as all the housework, shopping, cleaning and meals have been cooked )

As to 2002. I have already set a lot of goals to achieve next year.(No not just financially ) Trust everyone out there have done the same.

In closing; thanks to Jan and Ian for making this site available. This forum certainly allows some of the most motivated people around to share their views in a open and honest way. They communicate through this medium and through such enhance their own lives and that of so many others.
Also congratulations to Jan on her new book. I have almost finished reading it and as usual it is certainly worth adding to your library.

May you and your families all have a safe and happy X/Mas.

Have a break and a drink then whilst sitting on the beach or the back verandah relaxing, write down some solid achievements that you would luv to tick off your list this time next year.

Ho Ho Ho

Gee Cee

P.S. If you had $10m aside do you think you would be sitting on a beach forever or would you still need the buzz of wheeling & dealing to keep you motivated and out of the pub?????

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1

...P.S. If you had $10m aside do you think you would be sitting on a beach forever or would you still need the buzz of wheeling & dealing to keep you motivated and out of the pub?????>>>

GCC,

I would still need the buzz, I twitch violently if i dont get it.

Cheers, TW
~Life is a daring adventure, or nothing at all~

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1

GCCC,
Thought about your PS some more.

the richest man in the world, is it Bill Gates?, does he still work? yep, he must need or like the buzz,

how about the richest woman? i dunno who that is, typical, men get all the press, but Im sure she still is taking care of business,

would their lives be a life half lived? i dont think so, bet they have seen and done some amazing things.

So really, to sit on the verandah or sit at the pub, all you would need to do, is nothing.

TW
~Life is a daring adventure, or nothing at all~

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

G'day all,

Have a safe and happy festive season - for me, it means I get HOME again for a short time :^) For you, I wish the best of good times - Xmas is such a special time - I hope yours is all you would want it to be.

And I'll see you all again next year - in Sydney for a short while, then, who knows ??? But it will be fun, and worthwhile, and challenging, and all that good stuff.

Thank you, Ian and Jan - your blood should be bottled (but if it were, very few of us could afford it ;^)

Keep well, and see you all next year.

As my Xmas gift, for those who have been agonising over my "sign-off", see below. I just think it is one of the best oxymorons I've ever come across - what do you think?

Regards,

Les

- "Eschew Obfuscation" - (literally - "Avoid using big words that nobody understands")

Merry Xmas ;^)

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Merry Christmas from Caves to all

Thanks to all who contribute
my special mentions
TW, Asy, GoAnna, Mia, Rolf

Keep hugging your loved ones

Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me

Chris

Back