Messy neighbours

I was wondering if anyone could help me....I have an investment property that is not renting at the moment apparently because of the 4 cars (3 are just shells) in the yard next door.
My agent has tried to find out if it is rented as well to then be able to ask the landlord to clean it up but to no avail.
The agent doesn't believe the local council will help with information either but will try.

I would like to know if anyone can help me, Who can I see...what course of action I could take....all suggestions appreciated ...and NO I don't intend to sneak in there in the middle of the night to take the car bodies away. ( I know someone would have suggested that)
This is a serious problem as I am unable to rent the house...must admit I wouldn't live there as it is a real eyesore.

Regards,
Sue J

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Sue,

What a pain!

I would check with the council, as many of them have local ordinances which will regulate things like derilect cars, the council may, depending on the local laws officer, issue a clean up order.

The other thing you should do is go to the council offices and tell them you are the property owner next door (Take rate notice for proof) and there is a fencing issue, they will give you the details of the owner of that property for free. Then you can approach the owner. Also, your agent should have been able to check ownership details through RP Data or Lawpoint or Residex, whichever he subscribes to (God knows we all subscribe to at least one!!)

I am surprised your PM is not helping more, perhaps approach another one in the area and see if they are willing to help? (and if they are, reward them by moving the management!)

hope that helps...

asy

There are no problems, only solutions which have not yet been discovered.

Reply: 1.1

Interesting Asy, that fact about fencing issues. I will keep that at the back of my mind for future reference. Ah, the things you learn on this forum. Isn't it great?

Cheers, Jacque :)

Reply: 2

Hi,

I like Asy's idea, but here's a twist. Want to change Property Manager's and establish a base line for service?

Take a piccy of the place next door, and go interview other PMs and say you would be happy to sign up with them, if they can FIX your problem.

What a great way to see who really does deliver?

Michael G.

Reply: 2.1

Hi Sue
Something I would consider doing if I were in your situation is to approach the owner of the vehicles and offer to have them removed or offer to buy them if that is the main problem. If they are not willing to cooperate and negotiations fail I would sell my IP. There are bad neighbours in every street and it is hell if you are living next door.
Also, the book "How to win friends...." could be a helpful read in this type of situation.
Regards
Simon

Reply: 2.1.1

Thank you all...it has given me options where my property manager didn't seem to have any.
I will let you know how I go.
It is a shame it had to happen over the Christmas rush.

Regards
SueJ

Reply: 2.1.1.1

Sue,

If you can buy house next door as well.
You will achieve three things simultaneously –

1. Get rid of bad neighbours
2. Get rid of cars
3. Expand you property portfolio

Serge.

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1

Serge

I liked your creative thinking.

And if you can't interested in buying it just let your fellow investors know the address. :eek:)

GoAnna !
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."
-Henry Ford

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1

I'm confused. Apart from the cars which I
presume are on the front lawn, are they
horrible neighbours in other ways?? Wild
parties? Frequented by bikie gangs?
Why not try some heavy planting along the
fence line to block it out. Create an oasis
in the middle of derelict suburbia. Hell,
have taped birdsong in the trees.

Alternatively, complain that there are
vermin coming onto your property from
the cars.

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1.1.1

Oh Donna,
You've done it again.
Good one.

But that message about email bugs (from you) was bit over the top, was it. It is where you said that you would twist the necks off if someone will spread the bug around...
It was not me, by the way, honestly. I checked it.

Serge.

Back