metal beading under render is rusting

I have a property whose external face is rendered blueboard. It appears the tradesman used metal beading on the corners/edges which is now rusting. The rust is showing through the paint and it is unsightly. Has anyone had this issue? Was it easy to solve? I have searched the internet and come up with the following solutions:

1. Remove metal beading, replace with plastic beading, re-render corners then paint.
2. Sand back metal beading, paint with rust rid, undercoat, top coat, patch render and paint.
3. Enclose edges in a colorbond boxed edge. Will likely look odd. Not a great option.
4. Clad the rendered walls in aluminium composite cladding ie. alucobond. This may make the property look much more modern and increase appeal. Might be expensive.

I'm leaning towards option 1 or 4. Anyone got any advice?

I know I will need to fix this issue prior to selling so I may as well get it fixed now.

Attachments

• P1040689.jpg
    P1040689.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 409
  • P1040695.jpg
    P1040695.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 467
imho
option 1 best option and what shouldve been installed originally
option 2 more expensive than option 1 and wont work as it will just start somewhere else before starting all over again everywhere anyway
option 3 will look strange any buyer will see your hiding something
option 4 depends on the property may over capitalise. if your retro fitting apolic, alucobond you generally end up with unresolved details at doors windows balconies as building hasnt been designed for clean sharp lines i wouldnt go this route
cheers

Option 1 for sure. I can't work out why they use that stuff outside. Is it laziness or dopiness? I guess sometimes they use whatever is on the truck.

Sounds like I should go with option 1. Can anyone recommend a renderer that works in the prahran area in Melbourne? I assume this is a common problem. Hoping to get someone that has dealt with this issue before and knows the ins and outs.

Assume this will be classed as a repair (like for like) and not capital improvement. Therefore it should be fully deductible in year 1. Sound correct?

Thanks for the help and advice.

I think it will cost a bit as it is a two storey residence and all the beading will need to be ripped out and replaced. I guess it has to be done though.

any tradie recommendations appreciated.

Assume this will be classed as a repair (like for like) and not capital improvement. Therefore it should be fully deductible in year 1. Sound correct?

If it's a rental property and the problem has surfaced while you have been renting it out, it's a repair.

:)
Repair all the way, currently it's stuffed and needs fixing, haven't seen it that bad before.

I'm guessing the tradies where both lazy and maybe inexperienced ? How old is the house ? I would be going back to the builder and trying to get them to fix it. That is really bad. And really bad workmanship.

Regards
Graeme

Its a townhouse. About 14 years old. Don't think I can go back to the builder.

If I can get it fixed and externally painted for a few k I will be happy. Need to paint the wooden windows frames too. Its overdue for a little care and attention.

I've just had the same issue but in internal concrete tilt slab walls in our most recent reno project which is 19 yrs old. In an archway as well just to make it more fun!

Where it was missing or really badly rusted like yours we cut it out and replaced it. 3 metre lengths of corner edging from bunnings were less than $5. They didn't have the plastic ones to suit what we needed to replace so we used the yellow treated steel ones.

Where it was only surface rust, it was sanded (using a drill attachment), rust converter and painted with rust guard metal primer.

Once all the edging was fixed we then rendered (first time) using Dunlop mortar repair which is a pre-mixed product. 5kg for about $20 from bunnings. This stuff was awesome.. not the easier to work with but when it sets it is solid. Not the easiest stuff to sand either so don't leave it proud of the walls. We are happy with the result and it looked much worse than it was to fix.

Back