Metro Adelaide

I sell real estate & Invest in the North East of Adelaide. If anyone is considering this area, here is a few suburbs ive been tracking and seeing good returns and an active and changing market.

Mawson Lakes - Median house price $375,000
Ridgehaven - Median house price $255,000
Older part of Pooraka - (keep an eye on this suburb::D) - median house price $255,000
Clearview - Median house price $285,000 and
Enfield - Median house price $285,000.

Better opportunities in Parafield Gardens and Paralowie.....threy are older but you can still buy houses for 230K.:)

ok Sash, I'll chime in too! :D

Mid to high $200k's (ie. $260k+) you can also get houses in Para Hills, Para Vista, Ingle Farm, and Modbury North.

As Adelaide locals, would you prefer to purchase IPs in say Ingle Farm, Parra Hills, Modbury etc, or suburbs like Christies/O'Sullivan Beach for similar prices (I am referring to stock standard houses. No views etc)
From my resarch, rental yields seem pretty similar, and land size for the money approx the same.
I guess the decision comes down to proximity to the beach vs access to the city.
Any thoughts on what you would consider preferrable for future growth in CF and yield.
Cheers
Matt

I guess the decision comes down to proximity to the beach vs access to the city.

Exactly.

Personally I'm not overly familiar with the Southern suburbs as much, so can't comment on their yield prospects, although I would hazard a guess to say that rents are increasing there too (can anyone more knowledgable on the South comment?). Adelaide is still having record low rental vacancies - from memory North is just over 1%, and South is just under 1%.

As an IP - I wouldn't have a problem buying in either area. To live, I prefer the North Eastern suburbs as they are closer to my work (next to CBD). I also just have a general preference to the north-east subrubs as it's the side of Adelaide I've grown up near, and intend to stay closer to. My brother has been down south for years, and whilst it's nice, I just prefer the other side of town. But this is a highly personal decision, so not relevant.

Assuming travel to the CBD isn't an issue - the southern suburbs do have the appeal of being closer to the beach as you said. Christies Beach is nice, and very close to the beach. O'Sullivan Beach is a bit further away from the beach as such as that beach is no good, and there is the refinery there etc. (hence the price discount).

The distance to the CBD is further to the southern suburbs you mentioned - 25km vs. 12-18km in the north east suburbs, but the expressway has cut down the travel time in recent years. I do however also like the NE suburbs as proximity to CBD is an important factor for me.

Yields are getting worse in the suburbs I've been looking at. Rents have been increasing quite well, but price growth has been outpacing that in recent months.

depends what you are buying it for , if you are looking for development down the track then I think Christies is way in front , as it is the next beach you can swim at , as you head south , after seacliff (try buying there these days!!)

but as for quality of house , i believe you will get a better house for the same money in ,say, Modbury

also with O'Sullivan beach , they are meant to be putting the desalination plant there where the refinery is , not sure what that will do to values there but i would be concerned.

just my 2c

I am not familiar with suburbs down South but with the high level of commercial & industrial development, through Greenfields, Elizabeth, Salisbury, Para Hills West, the new Home Renovators HQ site @ Gepps Cross + the defense contracts, the new Northern express freeway, all of which will encourage people to move into these affordable Northern suburbs where there will be more jobs. Suburbs like Para Hills, Para Hills West, Modbury North etc. have large blocks which will be prime for subdivision within the next 5 years if not now and all easily accessable to the City.
Matthew

Back