Metropole Property Strategists

Hi all,

I am just starting out and would like to create a game plan for how I am going to build my portfolio in order to reach my goals. All assumptions going well, this game plan hopefully will show me that my goals are achievable with the seed capital I have to start with and the time I have left before retirement.

I understand Metropole offer a service where they assist you to create a portfolio strategy / game plan that will get you to your goal. No guarantees of course as a number of items are out of our control however, a game plan is created against which you can track your progress towards your goal.

Is this a service they provide? or are they just buyers agents who get paid a fee for handling the buying process for you?

3M

They're a full-service business, which means they'll relieve you of as much of your money under whatever auspices you care to dream up and are willing to part with. You might even get value for money, who knows? There might be very good reasons to buy your first IP in a discretionary hybrid trust housed in a self-managed super fund owned by a company in your fiancee's name. Anything can be structured, naturally for a 'reasonable' fee or two.

Or, you could just educate yourself, keep it simple, and not let vampires ever get their teeth into you.

Your choice.

Has anyone else used Metropole to formulate a master plan to get them to their goal?

I am looking for a mentor that will show me what to do and when to do it or at least advise me on my decisions based on where they have already been.

3M

Well, There are a couple of mentors around here. . ? ;)

I had dealings with Mr Yardney when I was a beiginner investor and I won't go into them here. I will say that books and SS in the early days were more than I needed to get me going. Mike Yardney has a book or two out. I liked his first one and thats all you need to know. The rest comes from inside of you.

You're welcome to PM if you'd like.
Thank you.

i have a lot of respect for what Yardney talks about, but i also disagree with him fundamentally on A LOT of issues - if you're hooked into facebook I counter pretty much every one of his posts.

he thinks the NSW/Vic market is a balanced market - and his advice is to avoid resources areas - to the point where a year ago he was okay with Adelaide and now the dam project is earmarked he's saying to stay out.....!

if MMR get their gas hub off Sydney, will the Sydney market be off the radar too?

my advice is - if you need advice you should probably educate yourself further to minimise the amount of funnelling you will be exposed to (ie you wil be "funnelled" into a product).

the deal of the century comes around every two weeks - patience is the key.

he thinks the NSW/Vic market is a balanced market - and his advice is to avoid resources areas.

my advice, if I were to give any which I would not, would be to avoid anywhere but resource areas. they are some of the few balanced markets in the country where rent reflects the reality of the investment.

i wonder - with the western world's dependence - whether brewed coffee (not the beans) can become a commodity? it comes with a level of service - not unlike debt though, which is also a commodity.

Get John Fitzgerald's "7 Steps to Wealth", he outlines a very simple, conservative plan of aquiring (I think) 10 properties in 12 years.
If you want it pretty easy, I think it's the way to go.

Do you have 12 years left till you want to retire?

i wonder - with the western world's dependence - whether brewed coffee (not the beans) can become a commodity? it comes with a level of service - not unlike debt though, which is also a commodity.

why not - no diff to concentrate OJ. nespresso pods could be sold by the tonne!

Get John Fitzgerald's "7 Steps to Wealth", he outlines a very simple, conservative plan of aquiring (I think) 10 properties in 12 years.
If you want it pretty easy, I think it's the way to go.

Do you have 12 years left till you want to retire?

absorb the principles not the sales pitch tho - he is a spruiker too dont forget

Read Jan's Books

Jan Somers pretty much covers the strategy of buy and hold completely in her books. Building Wealth through Investment Property is an easy read. She outlines a basic strategy.

The other interesting book is 'Property Puzzle' by Stuart Wemyss. He demonstrates how it is possible to build a buy and hold portfolio using the capital growth and or positive income strategies. He also has examples/scenarios based on three fictional investors in different income groups and different stages of their lives which is useful.

Regards Jason.

Has anyone read, "An Oily Snake's Guide to Funnelling for Yachts 'n Ferraris", by Crank M. Inne?

From the blurb:
A very balanced overview by anyone's standards of the abattiorial school of property investment guidance. Recommended only for advanced practioners, this manifesto offers to unleash your inner strength to prey on its absence in others. Ideal reading before any judicial hearing, but contains strategies strictly best not disclosed to counsel. Possibly the ultimate users guide to navigating Hades pre-mortem. Enjoyed by the reviewer best while experiencing the public transport system.
Sounds like essential reading to me!

Hi all,

Thanks for the insight.

From where I am standing, at the very beginning of my journey and 10 maybe 15 years of precious time to spend, who is better placed to make the better buying decision? Especially for the first two IPs which are critical purchases in a portfolio.

Me? who has at least a few years of learning ahead and analysis paralysis and a bunch of expensive decisions to make non-refundable time I cannot use to make them.

OR

Someone like Metropole.

3M

MMM by all means take advice but dont act immediately on it. no advisor out there will be 100% perfect for you, learn from lots of sources and then decide which way is best. the other problem of course is that you wont be able to make that decision without better basic knowledge

fwiw the old buy -ve geared property, hold and LOE metropole approach of the past is dead atm IMO, but im sure they arent just stuck to that mantra

Metropole is primarily a buyers advocacy/agent service. If memory serves they initially started as property developers (which they still do a lot of), extended into managing developments for others (which implies buyers advocacy), then further diversified into property management.

Realistically their current business model of helping people to build property portfolios to create wealth is no different from any other buyers agent service creating a model of repeat clients for their business. It's a logical progression for this type of business to grow. It's also a service that's likely to be in demand by many clients.

As far as I'm aware, they don't do a much marketing of the properties they develop to clients as buyers agents. They don't market mass off the plan developments to uneducated investors unless that property specifically meets the investors requirements.

I think it's also fair to say Metropole go to great lengths to ensure that their clients are educated. They do charge fees for some of this, but these fees are very reasonable - $50 to $100 for a day long property udpate seminar is not unreasonable by any standard. Their education is also 'real education', not marketing rubbish like many sprukers I've seen.

I don't have any problem with their business model or the way in which it's executed (although I do wish they wouldn't send quite so many emails).

I don't use Metropoles services because I either have no need for them or I have others I prefer to use. I do however think that some of the comments previously stated are a bit unfair.

People do need to do their own due dilligence when working with any service provider. Take the advice you're comfortable with and avoid the areas you're not. I don't like everything that comes out of Metropole, but I also think you could do a lot worse.

I'm happy to discuss further offline if anyone's interested.

Back