Michael Croft again

Hi,

Just want to add one more plug for Michael. What a terrific guy. His seminar in Melbourne last night was great. Heaps and heaps of great, practical tips.

(Thanks to the people who posted here about it earlier, or else I wouldn't have found out about it in time)

Well done freestylers

Gail

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Yeah, I travelled all the way down from Sydney just to hear Michael (at least that's what I told him), and it was well worth while.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 2

Hi all,

It is great to hear some positive reports from people attending Michael's seminar as I am booked in for his tour of duty to Perth.

Are there any specific comments on what people have been able to learn since attending Michael's seminars?

Glenn

Reply: 3

We attended Michael Crofts Renovation Magic last night.
We gained some good renovation tips but were disappointed with the event as a whole.
Without being too comment specific I will include just one example. The new res code (in my area) does not allow me to turn my garage into a place of residence and rent it out, if I did so without council approval (as was suggested) our neighbours would promptly notify council anyway. I guess these practices sound good on paper but perhaps are not so good in practice.
I think as with all things it is always important to go along and make up your own mind, as we have.
Thankyou to Freestylers for organising the event.

Reply: 3.1

Hi,
I must admit, I don't remember Michael saying you could do up your garage and rent it out without Council approval. I came in late, so perhaps I missed that.

In any event, its hard for everyone to get the info they want in a compressed format. I thought Michael's renovating tips were great, which was why I was there.

Make sure you take pen and paper, because Michael gives you lots of names of good products and suppliers, and I didn't have enough paper with me, so I was practically writing on my hand in the end!

G

Reply: 3.1.1

Indeed Michael explicitly stated that he was describing what he does in certain circumstances, and he stated that he was NOT suggesting that we do it too. He also said that if he was challenged by the council then he would need to comply with their wishes.

I got a lot out of the seminar, which for the money was excellent value in my opinion - 3 hours with MC full of real hints and tips.

Sure, before and after shots would have been nice, but that would imply that you thought ahead several years to the time you might run a seminar. You can't do before shots after the fact ! I'm sure Michael was too busy thinking about what he was doing and actually doing it, to worry about taking photos.

Also remember that Michael is a very busy man - and not a professional seminar presenter, nor has he been presenting this stuff for a long time. Hence you cannot expect him to have an incredibly slick presentation, with lots of slides and before and after shots and other preparation.

I got what I expected... Michael in the flesh chatting to us about what he does and how he does it.

Well done, thanks Michael !

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 3.1.1.1

My only advice is take plenty of notepaper and two pens - in case one runs out. He spends the whole 3 hours giving advice and tips.

Deb
Melbourne Freestyler Co-ordinator
www.freestyler.net.au

Reply: 4

Michael was wonderful.

Talk about daylight robbery - that is, me robbing Michael!

Hell, I got a few thousand dollars of advice in 3 hours for just $59.

Shame the manual was not available though.

When the 2nd edition is finished please let us all know - I bet it's worth every bit of $496.

Thanks Michael and Freestylers.

Simon

Michael Croft again/Sydney

Reply: 4.1

Hi All,

By popular demand Michael Croft is coming back to Sydney for another talk, all complaints were that he didnt get long enough to talk, so this time we are sitting him in front of you for a full 2.5 hours.

Those who attended last time can come along again for the nominal fee of $5,( which we are giving to camp quality), those that are first timers, its $59.

Stand by for dates, and yes, he is going to do Newcastle as well.

Cheers, TW

Reply: 4.1.1

OH Thanks Nivia- what a great idea! Well done! Let me the first to book in again.

Cheers, Jacque :)

Reply: 3.2

I attended on Wednesday night as well, I certainly gained some useful tips but I too was disappointed at the sometimes questionable suggestions. If a property is being renovated for a Long Term Investment, shouldn't the owner try to make the property as "bullet proof" as possible? Isn't it a tax deduction? Maybe I have been doing it all wrong? How does an aluminium shower base hold up if "Draino" is used? Caustic Soda and Aluminium are the Ingredients of "Draino". I still gained plenty of tips, but some I must question if I am unsure?

Reply: 4.1.2

TW,

$5.00......hmmmm......now let me see......do we still get donuts, apple strudels, all the coffee we can drink AND Michael Croft for that??

Ok.....sounds good. Put me down as well!

:)

Reply: 3.2.1

On 5/3/02 1:12:00 PM, Reno Vation wrote:
>
> Isn't it a tax deduction?

Umm, no it's not. Renovations would generally be regarded as capital improvements, not repairs, and so are not deductible. However, they should be depreciable. Speak to your accountant.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 3.2.2

Dear Reno and other cynics,

Unfortunately MC is off the air for awhile, so allow me to spring to his defense you glass half empty ingrates.

Firstly how many tenants do you know that put draino down the drains? All of them! Yeah right.

Secondly i think MC was enticing you to think outside the box - try the shower base in brass, copper perhaps even 18/8 stainless steel if your tenants use hydrochloric acid to clean the shower.

As for the person that said that their council won't allow them to convert a garage to a flat; well I distinctly remember the phrase "council specific" and "this is what I do and not what I recommend" several times.

MC mentioned that someone was upset because he wasn't John Burley and maintaining the higher moral ground. Hmm I don't remember him claiming to be the born again JB or anyone else for that matter but himself.

Take it easy as abc.

Reply: 4.1.2.1

Sydney got donuts and apple strudel! Not fair :)

G

Reply: 4.1.2.1.1

No we didn't get donuts and strudel. We got muffins and danish.....

Cheers,
Robert

Property Inspection Reports @
http://www.creativefinance.com.au

The Sydney "Freestylers" Group Leader.

Reply: 4.1.2.1.1.1

Hmm... I'm disappointed DB_Bear... I came all the way down to Melbourne for some of your renowned hospitality and all we got were biscuits - and they weren't TimTams.

I'm changing my vote !

sim.gif

Last edited:

Reply: 4.1.2.1.1.2

I stand corrected Robert.....

....when I come to think of it, your quite right.....it was muffins and danish.

:)

Reply: 4.1.2.1.1.2.1

Reply to Abc
Remember that everyone has their own point of view and is entitled to it. Remarks such as "you glass half empty ingrates" are unnecessary and offensive and serve only to degrade the quality of this website.

Reply: 4.1.2.1.1.2.1.1

hi,
Have read the rules and don't think you should take offense.
'glass half empty' is one way of looking at the world and as you say you are entitled to your point of view.
'ingrate' is slang for without gratitude, which is not an insult merely a statement of fact.

If the positive outweighs the negative and you can only comment on or see on the negative, your glass appears half empty to me.

If you feel you did not get value for money, say so. If you did get value and you are criticizing without being constructive, well what can i say........

Back