Mid-sized car recommendations please?

I know there have been threads about suggestions for new cars but our requirements are possibly different than those threads, so I'd love some suggestions for non-car people like us.

We are driving a Mitsubishi Nimbus which has been a fantastic car, but is now 12 years old and we think it is time to swap it.

We still want a car that we can put tools in the back, so a wagon is good.

We don't want a 4WD (but I've seen a top of the range demo model Mitsubishi Outlander Aspire today that is a good changeover price and has 4WD with same fuel efficiency as the non-4WD model and I'm quote tempted by it.)

We would not be using this new car primarily as a renovation vehicle, as we are doing less hands-on than we used to, but it still needs to be able to pick up a dishwasher, or handle carting tools around when we are in reno mode. We kind of want a fancy car that can double as a workhorse when needed.

We don't need 7 seats but the Outlander Aspire has an extra two seats that disappear into the floor, so I'm tempted by this car. It has rain-sensing wipers, headlight sensors, reversing camera and sat-nav, steering wheel bluetooth controls, forward collision mitigation, auto start and auto boot opening, climate controlled and zoned air, all the bells and whistles, leather seats. Changeover price $39K including tow bar fitted.

Both cars have five year warranty, capped annual services $300, free roadside assist via RACQ (which saves me $90 per year for the five years).

Both have Hill Start Control, Active Stability Control, Active Traction Control, ABS and Electronic Brakeforce Distribution, and 7 airbags.

Base model has zoned air, bluetooth, reversing camera and is very nice too with changeover $30K including tow bar fitted.

We are being offered $1K for our Nimbus. That is likely a fair price in its condition.

So far, all I've seen is the Outlander.

We are not against going for a smaller car, but I like the idea of being in a larger car if we are hit by something larger.

Instead of me trawling through dozens of cars, I'd love ideas of a mid-sized car that would suit our needs.

Thanks DaveM. That gives me something to search for rather than having to sort through dozens of possible matches for our needs.

Does it have to be new? Unless you can claim some tax benefits on a new vehicle, you would be best buying something 2-3 years old, and letting the first owner cop the depreciation hit.

Many manufacturers allow you to extend the new car warranty for a price. For example, you buy a two year old vehicle, extend the factory warranty from three to six years for $1k (varies by manufacturer). Then you have a vehicle with new car warranty for four years, for significantly less than the cost of a new car.

Cars are a depreciating asset. Don't spend more than you have to.

Does it have to be new? Unless you can claim some tax benefits on a new vehicle, you would be best buying something 2-3 years old, and letting the first owner cop the depreciation hit.

Many manufacturers allow you to extend the new car warranty for a price. For example, you buy a two year old vehicle, extend the factory warranty from three to six years for $1k (varies by manufacturer). Then you have a vehicle with new car warranty for four years, for significantly less than the cost of a new car.

Cars are a depreciating asset. Don't spend more than you have to.

I like the extended warranty idea. And the only way I'll buy new is for a demo price. I like the idea of a demo car because it is unlikely we would be buying a lemon.

Even a two year old car "could" be being sold because it isn't up to scratch, though unlikely.

We've never bought new, except for the current one which we saved about $8K on as a demo. I agree about cars being a depreciating asset, but we have also discussed that now, in our mid 50s, it could be time to treat ourselves a bit.

We certainly will not be buying new, at "new" price, so it is a demo for us, or a heavy discount. Otherwise, we will look at two years old. We have a neighbour who used to work in the car industry who has kindly offered to see what he can do for us through his contacts. If he can get us a good demo price and we get some pretty nice features without paying full whack for them, we'll consider it.

It is likely we will drive whatever we buy for ten or more years, so buying new (at a nice discount) gives us up-to-date features that we will enjoy for years to come.

I like the idea of a demo car because it is unlikely we would be buying a lemon.

Not true - I know of at least two people who bought new, well known brands and the cars turned out to be constantly in the repair shop.

I like to buy at 2yr old as the lemon-ish is usually worked out of it by then ... and much, much cheaper.

Last two cars we bought - my Corolla was ex-rental with 30,000 on the clock - hubby's Pajero was ex-dept education with 50,000km - so both would have been regularly serviced and looked after.

Last edited:
Check out the Hyundai i30 wagon too. Its deceptively large and accomodating for a smallish car. It can handle more than some mid sized and in the diesel very economical. Bang for buck it's very very good value.

We just bought a Mazda CX5 AWD for the very same purposes as you (Wylie).

Rear space is good and we can drop the back seats and then it becomes a cavernous space.

Many of the mod cons, bells and whistles that come as standard are often "optional" in other brands.

When first sat in it and did a test drive, right from the get go it fitted us like a glove and felt totally at home in it not one thing bothered us at all.

Was the dealer managers car with just 2500klm on the clock and had soo many extras over and above the top of the range model that it is (Akera).

3yr unlimited klm warranty and with a 2.2ltr Turbo diesel that delivers 5.7ltr/100klms it was a no brainer for us.

Very happy with it. :)

Love the blind spot monitoring and lane departure warning features.:cool:

The CX5 would be my shout for that type of car (small AWD wagon thing)

Mid size wagon, the new Skoda Octavia is a cracking car and gets really good reviews. The Mazda 6 is always a good option as well.

Partner just bought a brand new Holden Trax, very impressed. Cross between a station waggon and a 4wheel drive. Very economical, looks impressive. Back seats fold down for big storage. all the bells and whistles including interactive iphone/screen. voice activated it will tell you tomorrows temperature. Individually heated seats (used to be a Mercedes only option) drives beautifly. all for under $30k

Check out the Hyundai i30 wagon too. Its deceptively large and accomodating for a smallish car. It can handle more than some mid sized and in the diesel very economical. Bang for buck it's very very good value.

I just bought one of these and would recommend it. If you're not a performance car freak, it is a very capable, comfortable and fuel efficient vehicle. It will fit about the same cargo as a mid sized SUV, but with better handling and vastly better fuel consumption.

I bought the diesel and love it. Added a towbar and mats and drove away brand new at under $28k with a 5 year warranty. Giddy up.:D

We just bought a Mazda CX5 AWD for the very same purposes as you (Wylie).

Rear space is good and we can drop the back seats and then it becomes a cavernous space.

Many of the mod cons, bells and whistles that come as standard are often "optional" in other brands.

When first sat in it and did a test drive, right from the get go it fitted us like a glove and felt totally at home in it not one thing bothered us at all.

Was the dealer managers car with just 2500klm on the clock and had soo many extras over and above the top of the range model that it is (Akera).

3yr unlimited klm warranty and with a 2.2ltr Turbo diesel that delivers 5.7ltr/100klms it was a no brainer for us.

Very happy with it. :)

Love the blind spot monitoring and lane departure warning features.:cool:

Would love to know what you paid as a demo?

Ix35

My wife and I bought a Hyundai ix35 last year (similar to cx7 size) as we were expecting our first child and my wife's previous car was a 3 door hyundai Getz, not suitable for putting baby boy in and out of.
We paid $36990 for a vehicle that has a RRP of $45,000+ so there's always room to negotiate.

Oh, brilliant car so far (only 8000km up) and plenty of room in the rear for dishwashers etc.

P.S. I drive it every chance I get too!

Back