Midland WA

Has anyone bought/lived in Midland or have any insight into the area?

18km east of Perth with good road and rail links (20mins), close proximity to the airport, swan valley, good facilities - shopping, and a focus on urban renewal and investment including a new hospital opening 2015, plans for Curtin University to open a new campus etc

Property is still reasonably affordable, although there appears to be lots of small lot developments going in. I'm interested in people's thoughts on the area?

18km east of Perth with good road and rail links (20mins), close proximity to the airport, swan valley, good facilities - shopping, and a focus on urban renewal and investment including a new hospital opening 2015, plans for Curtin University to open a new campus etc

Property is still reasonably affordable, although there appears to be lots of small lot developments going in. I'm interested in people's thoughts on the area?

I had a knowledgeable person suggested to me recently that suburbs surrounding Midland would benefit a lot. Doctors, nurses, etc wouldn't want to live in Midland itself.
He suggested Guildford, Morley, Kiara, Bassendean, Swan Valley.
It reminded me of a conversation with my physiotherapist at Swan districts Hospital. She was tossing up between buying on the river at Ashfield or Ocean Views at Duncraig. She went with Duncraig but wished she went with Ashfield, a much quicker drive! Maybe that's why demand is still High in city of Swan?

What do you want to do with it?

It's got a number of good points as you have listed - in particular the hospital and possible new campus however it does have some socio economic issues AND it does have clay in the soil which if you are building can throw all your profit down the drain.

We invested in Midland with an IP back in 2000, just as the Midland Redevelopment Authority had been formed to oversee a $300million gentrification of the area.

Since then our IP has over tripled in value getting onto quadrupling along with the rental yield also.

I believe we have attained that growth because early on in our investment journey we decided to target / purchase in areas that had recently been approved for or were in the planning stages for gentrification.

We looked for the following 4 sectors injecting money. -

Government, Commercial, Retail, Private

We discovered this ultimately uplifted & beautified the area resulting in people's attraction thus moving in and creating demand.

We have found this to work very well if you are looking for short to medium term capital growth so as to leverage against and build your portfolio faster.

Typically these are some of the signs we looked for where sectors were injecting money -

A/ Local/State/Federal Government. ie Major arterial roads, Govt Depts locating to area, Street Scaping, New Public Transport, Recreational facilities, Hospitals/Medical facilities, Suburb Redevelopment Authorities being formed. etc

B/ Big Multi National Retail & Commercial type companies. ie Major Shopping Centres, McDonalds Hungry Jacks, KFC, Bunnings, Harvey Normans, Good Guys, etc. These companies spend $Millions on market research before going into and setting up shop in an area. If there was no current or immediate future demand for their products and services they would not be moving in, so leverage off the back of their research.

Sources for information as part of your due diligence - You can check out all the federal/state/local government planning & development websites from this one convenient link.

Other sources I use to gather info are from all the various big multi-national company websites, local newspapers, community news, local businesses, and people in the area.....general networking etc.

C/ Private People/Investors. ie Owner occupiers and Investors bowling over old houses then rebuilding new modern homes and redeveloping town houses / villas.

Get out and about. Jump in your car and drive around the area. Better still is once you're in your prospective area hit the streets by foot. You will see so much more on foot than by driving.

I hope this helps.

Midland is a suburb that Midland people like to reside in but it doesn't appear to attract residents from other suburbs to live there so I'd imagine demand for property to never be high. Last time I went shopping there my daughter asked, "mum why was that wrinkly old grandma beside us buying lacey g-strings?"
My reply, "I don't know. I'm still trying to work out why you'd go up to the counter and ask for a price because you found them on the floor in the middle of an aisle with the tags ripped off. (Shrugs) Midland people I guess."

Back