Mildura anyone

Hi all,

Update : I am headed to Mildura this weekend. Would love to meet with fellow SS members ?

Any pubs/clubs to check out or good restaurants while I'm there?

S.

What time/ day will you be getting here?
I'm happy to catch up if your interested?

What time/ day will you be getting here?
I'm happy to catch up if your interested?

hi ww2_nut, I will be landing on Friday at 11:30 and leaving on Sunday at 11:55, so plenty of time. Message me when you may be free, Saturday will be mostly spent looking at houses so if your free sometime Friday that'd be great !

Go to the Mildura Brewery - we had the BEST food there. We were dressed like bums after 3 days of travelling and didn't realise how nice it was - it was one of the food highlights of our trip. Maybe because it was such a pleasant surprise.

Hi,
I'm thinking of going to Mildura tomorrow to view properties would love to catch up with someone there to discuss some of the properties available.
Cheers Martin:)

Hi Brisbane 04,

I just had an intense 3 day trip down in Mildura.
It was pretty fruitful and I will post up a summary post sometime during the weekend.
I would not recommend that you go down on a Wednesday without any appointments as the Real Estate Agents tend to be quite busy with a bit of a hot market (for a regional town) on right now.
Also more properties that are up for sale have tenants and they are not easy to organise open house times with (or at least, that was the vibe I got!)

Speak to a few agents in the area and try to organise viewings to get a feel for the market. If you have any questions to ask about the area, I may be able to impart some knowledge.

Thanks!

It is best to look on a Saturday when they are open for inspection. The Mildura Weekly, available on Friday has a map with the location, colour coded price range, and a table for inspection times. The best properties are sold before the advertisements appear and are only on the market a few days, as agents know the best offer is often the first one by a keen buyer. Agents will tell you they don't have a problem finding buyers, they have a problem finding property suitable for the buyer.

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. I have made some appointments for tomorrow and Thursday. I would have been happy enough to go on Saturday but unfortunately I'm working. Hi Shawnee only to happy to hear from you about your experience:)

Hi,
Just a quick summary of my quick trip to Mildura. Went there on Wednesday arriving early afternoon, had done a bit of research prior to going and had set up 7-8 appointments prior to going. I found all the agents I dealt with great and very free with providing information about the good and bad areas of Mildura. People have suggested that I should go on a weekend to view opens I've found that in the past it's better to research the properties and areas in which you are interested and then speak to the agents to set up appointments and inform them what you are after they in most cases suggest properties that meet your criteria. The problem with going on a weekend is that you only see the properties that are only open on that day. It was a good trip and managed to catch up with a fellow somersoft member who provided a great deal of knowledge. Cheers Martin

QUOTE=youngm;1297934]Hmmm... OK.

I was looking at a block of 4 units in Irymple. They're about $150k each (about 6 years old) and each unit generates $215/week income. It'd be a positively geared, long-term investment.

If its these units you are looking at then these were a foot under water approx. 5 years ago
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-irymple-118431359

What the? YES, these are the ones I was considering! :(

Is this area prone to flooding??!! :eek::eek::eek:

What the? YES, these are the ones I was considering!

Is this area prone to flooding??!! :eek::eek::eek:

Yeah it is, they have put in additional drainage, but in my opinion I wouldn't touch it due to the flooding risk. That whole area went under. Karinga Crt and Robyn court were under the most water. That complex of 4 you are looking at was under approx. 1 foot of water.
That's why locals wont touch it. Ask the agent about the flooding, I would be interested in hearing his response :D :cool:
If you want any more info feel free to PM me

Yeah it is, they have put in additional drainage, but in my opinion I wouldn't touch it due to the flooding risk. That whole area went under. Karinga Crt and Robyn court were under the most water. That complex of 4 you are looking at was under approx. 1 foot of water.
That's why locals wont touch it. Ask the agent about the flooding, I would be interested in hearing his response :D :cool:
If you want any more info feel free to PM me

Thanks for the insight! I will definitely be asking about the flooding!

Thanks for the heads-up! :mad::eek::confused:

Few earlier streets around. Probably just changed over time etc.

Ww2 is right. Those units would be risky for that fact even with fixes now. Only time will tell.

Brisbane04. Care to elaborate on any properties etc? Did you place any offers?

I was looking to get a property a little while back in Mildura, from memory it was on the east side around Leonard St? (had a little park near it).... is the east side pretty dodgy?

Our streets are numbered the way they are because the town was designed by Canadians who copied the American way of designing towns back in the day.

Hi Touristy, I managed to look at approx 9-10 properties. They included houses and units. I eventually settled on a property 9 Risbey Court. It's having a building a pest inspection done this week. I could have easily bought a further 3 properties but I'll see how this one goes and if happy with same I could be back there in another 6 months or so. The property should be cash flow neutral. Cheers

Hi All,

Thought I would come in here to put a happy ending to my story.
I was in Mildura 2 weekends prior (18th & 19th April) and really enjoyed the scene there. I met up with a local Somersoft Member who was an absolute legend and provided me with priceless advice ( I still have the map of Mildura he marked up for me posted on the wall for my future reference!)

I saw many houses on the day throughout my weekend (between 10-12 in total!) and made 2 offers. The first offer (me and the vendor were apart by $4000) so I upped my offer and gave her what she was after to seal the deal. My second offer was rejected and the property still sits on the market today. I may still be hunting for a second property in Mildura, not too sure yet.

The town has a lovely cheerful vibe about it and the local folk are all too helpful! I won't lie, I have even contemplated giving up the city life and moving over to enjoy a more laidback life.

The property I ended up settling on is located in the Ularara Estate, which I am told is highly desirable part of town. It is a 3 bedroom house which will be cashflow positive from day 1. Quite happy about that.

I have to give a plug to Damian Portaro (not sure if this is allowed, apologies if not!). He was a wonderful bloke and a top real estate agent. I did not buy off him but dealt with him alot throughout the time I was there. He was polite and highly professional.

If anyone has any questions regarding this wonderful town, feel free to ask me and I'll try my best to help. If I can't answer it, I'll try to put you in touch with the lovely SomerSoft Member who provided me with the much needed assistance!

Back