military - so who else read between the lines...?

how interesting mr rudd.

trading 450 soldiers' service, 10 feds and 120 infantry in afghanistan around elections - and apparently secretly extending the service of some in iraq - announced 48 hours ago and reported 48 hours ago, in exchange for $167mil worth of cutting edge military technology - announced 48 hours ago and slipped into a 10sec slip in the late news....today.

Intel Satellite Technology

Afghan numbers bolster

Why does Intelsat win all US Military deals? here's one example...

i thought this was particularly touching

...Mr Rudd warned that more Australian casualties were likely but he said Australians could not afford to allow the Taliban to take over again in Afghanistan.

And he acknowledged that Australians were becoming increasingly concerned about the casualties in Afghanistan...

someone cry me a river, because i found a paddle.

It's all about keeping in the good books with our friends in the USA.

The whole keeping safe from terrorists thing is either paranoia he's caught from the Septics (and I can tell you; they are very paranoid over there), or it's all just BS to cover for the above option.

In fairness to the Chairman (and I'm normally very unfair to Labor); whaddya do?

The long term trade agreements are important as well.

But this is their way, these pollies.

Why doesn't he just come out and say: "Look, we hate sending our troops over to fight this stupid useless war, but we have the future of our economy to think about, and we need to suck up to the Yanks to keep them as friends."

It wouldn't win many votes I suspect. It'd win mine though; a Pollie who has the guts to say what's real.

Why doesn't he just come out and say: "Look, we hate sending our troops over to fight this stupid useless war, but we have the future of our economy to think about, and we need to suck up to the Yanks to keep them as friends."

That's exactly what it's all about.

same thing with all these new toys including long range missiles/subs/planes. That is also yank influence including propping up one of their biggest industries - weapons manufacturing

In fairness to the Chairman (and I'm normally very unfair to Labor); whaddya do?

The long term trade agreements are important as well.

But this is their way, these pollies.

It wouldn't win many votes I suspect. It'd win mine though; a Pollie who has the guts to say what's real.
Absolutely. Whether we like it or not, we need the US 100% on-side. It may seem undesirable to risk Australian lives supporting the US' forays into foreign countries, but the fact is that without such strong support from the USA, we'd need a military magnitudes larger than it is now. And then our military would be so large that the world would expect us to make greater contributions to regional security... and we'd end up with even more people serving in foreign conflicts. :(

And before somebody says "but look at New Zealand!"... Firstly, if somebody's going to want some land in this region, Australia's a more likely target. I'm guessing NZ feel pretty safe with such a large target right next door. And secondly, if somebody were going to invade NZ, our historical ties - and exchange of residents - mean that we are going to go and try to save their butts, and the fact that we go and help them, means they get the benefit of all the USA's technology anyway. I don't object to any of this, I wish we could afford NZ's "ethics", but the reality is that even if we wanted to, Australia couldn't do what they've done.

Every life lost in conflict - of any nationality or allegiance - is a tragedy. But the fact is that Australia is still proportionately contributing a lot fewer troops, and suffering proportionally fewer casualties amongst those we do send, than the US. So whether you support US policy or not - and I strongly oppose US' (historical) foreign policy - you at least can't accuse the Yanks of not being willing to put their own lives on the line. There's no doubt that they're sincere, even if you think they're misguided. :eek:

I was amazed, and somewhat delighted, to observe the attitude of Americans towards their troops on my recent US foray. I saw quite a few soldiers and Marines walking through the airports in uniform. Strangers approached them and shook their hands; people yelled out "Thank you for your service!" or "God bless you!".

I see absolutely no hypocrisy in having a political view about whether troops should be deployed to a certain region, whilst simultaneously being 100% supportive of those individual troops for their willingness to serve. And I totally respect those who serve, regardless of my assessment of the political desirability of their current mission.

On every flight with uniformed military on it, the flight attendants would, immediately after take-off, move uniformed personnel to any spare seats in business class. I believe it was done after take-off rather than from the outset to demonstrate to passengers that the military wasn't paying for business, but that the upgrade was instead being offered as a gesture by the airlines. I observed this on two different airlines, and was told it was pretty much standard policy in the USA.

I hear what you're saying OzPerp.

Whilst I don't agree with the war, I do understand why our defence strategy is 'be the school bullies buddy'.

Backpacking through Eastern Europe made me realise how real war can be, it wasn't that many years ago that several countries were battling it for a nicer patch of dirt.

And what would he do with that one lonely vote of yours ?

Of course they should be thankful for their service, they are dying so that others can maintain their lifestyle.
They are dying so that large corporations can have a large audience to market to.
They are dying fighting for countries that where it's ok for a 40yr old to marry a 12 yr old, where daughters are traded like property, where women don't vote or even drive, and certainly are not allowed outside after dark etc etc.
Are they fighting for democracy?
Yes we should have an army.
No that's not what they should die for.
And NO you dont kiss butt of the school bully, you wage guerilla, snipe him.
You organize all the others and put him in his place.

Back