Mindfulness Meditation .. For kids

I recently stumbled on this interesting app.

Smiling Mind. (www.smilingmind.com.au)

From their site...
.. Smiling Mind?s mission is to provide accessible, lifelong tools based in Mindfulness Meditation.

Following highly regarded institutions such as UCLA, Harvard, Oxford, Monash and Melbourne Universities developing clinical studies into the positive impacts of Mindfulness Meditation proving that regular practice helps combat stress, improves focus and increases resilience, Smiling Mind has been created to take these positive effects to the masses.

It has techniques for kids of all ages from 7 right up to Adult.

Well worth a look

This looks great.

I've mentioned on here before that I'm a daily practitioner (and have been on 10 day courses). It's probably the single greatest tool in my kit of life. The benefits are myriad, profound and diverse.

In related matters, here's Ray Dalio (hedge fund manager worth $15billion) on meditation: http://vimeo.com/50999847

Ray Dalio said:
Meditation, more than anything, in my life was the biggest ingredient for whatever success I?ve had.

This was an intersting book . He talks a lot about how the mind works (maybe too much for some readers) and not so much about techniques but it did open my mind to meditation which I always rolled my eyes at up till that point.

I can't get my 8 year old to focus on anything for more than 10 seconds (except for the TV) :(

Mindfulness is a great tool though.

Cheers

Jamie

Download the app, and get her to give it a go :) each part is only 5-7mins. Choose a day when she is not already hyper. OR do it yourself in front of her for a week or so, so she gets curious as to what you are doing, the. She may be more open to "doing like Daddy". It would be awesome to be able to foster mimdfullness from such as early age.

I try to meditate every day for 30 minutes. I'm still not good at it, but it does help to clear the mind and reduce anxiety. I tend to think too much. I have done two meditation courses with our local Buddhist centre and I'm about to do it again with my eldest daughter. I think it's a great idea for kids.

This looks great.

I've mentioned on here before that I'm a daily practitioner (and have been on 10 day courses). It's probably the single greatest tool in my kit of life. The benefits are myriad, profound and diverse.

[/url]

I'm a 10-day course goer as well. The benefits are astounding - and you can leave the 'mindset' at home. http://www.au.dhamma.org/

For kids it's a lighter touch. There are 1 day courses mostly about focus with lots of breaks and games. http://www.children.dhamma.org/en/

This helps kids with homework, appreciation of family members, harmony at school, dealing with any social issues in a more relaxed way (let's face it: everyone has issues at some point - especially kids), physiological benefits and more.

I can't get my 8 year old to focus on anything for more than 10 seconds (except for the TV) :(

Mindfulness is a great tool though.

Cheers

Jamie

I can't focus on meditation for more than 5 seconds so your 8 year old is doing well :).

I advocate mindset and leardership, have written 2 books and have spoken on stage with Bob Proctor (from the secret) at a European seminar.
BUT, I just do not like, do not teach and never do meditation!
whatever works for people though is great!

I can't focus on meditation for more than 5 seconds so your 8 year old is doing well :).

I advocate mindset and leardership, have written 2 books and have spoken on stage with Bob Proctor (from the secret) at a European seminar.
BUT, I just do not like, do not teach and never do meditation!
whatever works for people though is great!

Hi Xenia, I think they're for different things. What are the books you've written? I'd love to read them.

I don't like meditation either, but I do it because it does help me if ever I get anxious. It's really a discipline (or a training of the brain) to turn off the never-ending thoughts and to think clearly. If you need to be able to relax, meditation is very helpful. For me, it provides a space between me and my thoughts. It allows me to be a bit more objective and to critically analyse whether my thoughts are helping the situation or not. I tend to over-think things.

Some people are natural leaders. When I work I don't like to lead. I am more of a collaborator and enjoy working in a team.

Do you think The Secret has something to it?

Hi PG
I will send you both my books.
On mindset, leadership, what drives people to do things and staying out of other peoples programs, I think you will get a lot out of the second one.

My best friend loves meditating, she was over this morning after a yoga and meditation session. My husband is into that too. It's not my thing.

My thing is growth through business - reaching out to more and more and growing as a person along the way.

Nothing is either right or wrong, it's all just a choice.

Will send books tomorrow and let me know what you think.

You do not have to meditate to be connected just like you don't have to eat broccoli to be healthy.

There are many ways to reach that goal if some of the tools do not work for you - I guess that is my point.

Headspace App available also Link

Headspace is meditation made simple, a way of treating your head right. Using proven meditation and mindfulness techniques we?ll show you how to train your mind for a healthier, happier, more enjoyable life.

How it works

Starting with our free Take10 programme, we?ll teach you the basics of meditation in just 10 minutes a day.

If you enjoy Take10 and want to learn more, then you can choose to continue and get access to hundreds of hours of original meditations, including guided and unguided, ranging from 2 to 60 minutes.

You do not have to meditate to be connected just like you don't have to eat broccoli to be healthy.

There are many ways to reach that goal if some of the tools do not work for you - I guess that is my point.

I agree: some people really don't need meditation. For me, I don't do meditation with an end goal in mind. Happiness is one of its by-products. The ability to see how we often create our own 'suffering' by our thoughts, or to lessen its effects when it enters your life are also benefits of meditation.

Back