Miniature Pony

We are looking at making our first horse purchase - a miniature pony.

Anyone have any experience with horses, I am after some buying advice. I know very little about owning a horse. This is the start of our education!

We saw a miniature pony this morning, the 3 kids (4yo, 6yo and 7yo) were all over it and it was excellent with them. They were leading it around on a rope, it was quite well behaved and tolerant of them.

The lady has owned it and another shetland for about 4 months. She bought them for her 10yo daughter while in between horses as she has been trying to find the right horse, which she now has.

This lady has been working with horses for 30 years.

The lady did say it does have a bad habit of nipping, that is better now than when she first got it. It was perfectly happy to have the halter put on. Easy to catch, it came up to us for it. She also put on a chain attached to its halter that went over its nose, along the nose halter part (see I know nothing!). She said that has helped stop the nipping.

It did nip at me a couple of times, my leg and foot. It didn't nip the kids at all but was nosying around my daughters foot at one stage.

She said she would just give it a bit of a pull on the rope which tightens the chain across its nose a bit, or tap on the face if it went to nip. She did do this a couple of times, then put her hand right near it's mouth and it then wouldn't do anything.

She also said it would push a bit with its head and body, and just to push it back ie it leaned on her a bit and she just pushed it back a bit.

It has never kicked her daughter and she has been working with it for most of the those 4 months.

My three kids all sat up on its back and went for a little walk on a lead rope, it was quite good with them all, as far as I could see.

She also offered that if we take it, we could all go over there a few times and they (her and her daughter) would go through some basic training and tips with us.

I was very honest with her about us knowing nothing, being novices etc.

She just lives a street away from me, I appreciated her honesty.

Based on what I have said, would this be an OK pony for us to start with?

Is there anything else I should ask or know?

Do all or most horses have some idiosyncrasy that needs managing?

Or is it possile to get a better behaved pony, that we should go for as we know nothing?

She said it was like any other animal, it would turn to bad habits if we let it. So even getting a perfectly behaved horse, it could develop bad habits.

She is asking $750 for it.

Thanks for any advice!!

Hopefully the desicion to get a pony was made before this morning and not on a whim :eek:.

Educating yourself on animals is the easy part (sorry I'm not answering the Q), it's ensuring the children will benefit by taking an interest and caring for them long term that's more important prior to purchase.

Children have a tendency to 'play' with something for a while and then discarding it. Can you take them to the neighbours a half a dozen times and get them to clean stables before purchase :D.

Buying a horse is the cheap and easy bit.
Owning one and matching rider to horse is the hard bit
And many a good horse is ruined with poor riders then becomes a 'problem horse' and sent off to be ....sad to say but the brutal truth...to become pet food.
Why not lease a pony/horse for a year and take the journey slowly then see if it passes past fad to something that will endure. Then you will know if you need a pony or a horse and what sort.
Best to think what's the most humane for the animal as a horse is a big responsibility and a wonderful beast that deserves a just life and home.
Most serious horse people start by curbing their enthusiasm and hastening slowly and taking the journey

This may not be what you want to hear but an honest POV from a horsey person

Hardly a whim - I would say I have wanted one for 30 years, we have been on acreage for 12 months, have spent hundreds on lessons and camps for my eldest and are now looking.

The children are interested, but having never had one before, how can I ensure they will commit to a long term interest at 4yo without actually owning one??

Of course they play with things, but isn't that where passion develops? Sure it might not work out, but it also might. "I" am committed.

While the suggestion to get them to clean stables is a great one, neighbours don't have stables. They do clean out our chook shed weekly. It's a start.

And many a good horse is ruined with poor riders then becomes a 'problem horse'

This is what the lady was saying this morning and I do understand this.

Why not lease a pony/horse for a year and take the journey slowly then see if it passes past fad to something that will endure.

Any idea much would leasing for a year cost?

Most serious horse people start by curbing their enthusiasm and hastening slowly and taking the journey

Appreciate the feedback - believe me this is and has been a long slow journey. I am asking advice about this particular horse as it is the first one we have actually been to see. We have lived on acreage with room for a horse for 12 months. We wanted to get everything set up and take the right steps to prepare for owning one. Now we are moving onto the next stage of looking around and asking more questions.

Why don't you ask this lady if you can lease..or even buy this horse,and if things do not work out, would she be willing to take back for free?

I think if you have prepared for it for such a long time and you are committed then you really have to take the next step. If this lady has been working with horses for such a long time and if she is willing to be a sounding board for when you have problems (because you probably will) then you might have a good thing going.

As for whether or not the pony is suitable, well, I don't know. I'm not a horse person. At $750, it seems a rather inexpensive venture into horse ownership. Just remember that owning an animal is all about unconditional love. An animal is a long term commitment, so only you would know if you and your family are ready for that.

A couple of months ago, we house sat for a couple with 8 horses..but there were 9. She said not to worry about the kid's pony (her step kids) as they never bother with it.they were only there every second weekend.
We paid extra special attention though. Brushing it, feeding it (even though she said no to bother) and making sure it was ok. There was an alpha horse who all the others were afraid of, and this little one was at the bottom. It stayed in a field away from the others all the time, by choice.

They also gave us a contact phone number of their friend, who they had purchased several horses. He nevered to show up when a horse did fall lame.

We were able to contact the neighbour, who was absolutely fabulous.

If you purchase this mini horse from the lady, I agree she sounds like she would be someone you could rely on, if you ever had questions.

All fab advice thanks and especially to CuttingHorseFan for going the extra furlong and sourcing that info and links. Thanks!! :D

Kathryn - poor liitle thing, I imagine that is something that does happen.

Hello GTF, I have had horses for many years.

Personally, I would not buy the horse you saw this morning because it does not sound like a suitable kids pony at all. They should not nip and definately not require a nose chain - I have only ever seen those used on breeding stallions, not kids' ponies! I was 'nipped' by a horse in my late teens, it took a chunk out of my leg and the scar is clearly visible today. You do not want a pony with a tendancy to do this anywhere near your kids.

It is a hard process to purchase a horse and the purchase price is the cheapest part of ownership. Please re read my previous statement x 10. You have feeding, worming, shoeing/trimming, vet bills, rugs, fences, shelter/stable, possible float if you want to transport etc.

When buying for children, you want what is commonly referred to as a 'bombproof schoolmaster'. A been there, done that pony that has safely carried children for many years and is happy to stand quietly whilst children fuss, brush, wash, plait, rug, feed, saddle, lead into the float etc.

What part of Sydney do you live in? I would suggest contacting your local pony club if you have one nearby. This would be a good option to meet experienced horse people and possibly source a good pony that has been around for years and has a good reputation.

I was told by a friend keen on miniature horses that the smaller the horse the less good natured they are.

This may be an awful generalisation and even a myth but I just thought I'd pass it on.

Cheers,

HI,

My wife was a vet nurse for 20 years, she says if it tried to bite you don't buy it.

Shetland ponies are prone to biting and the bites really, really hurt :(

Excellent information from all the previous posters, I cannot find anything to add apart from had a life's passion and involvement with horses, the smaller breeds can kick, bite and do (just as much) considerable harm to children, as the others have pointed out, balanced with original poster's interest in a pony for her children can be a wonderful learning curve, lot of fun and teaching the kids heaps.

May have skipped over the post info but there is also the apparel with horses, ie crash hats and footwear.

Hope it all works out for you and lots of fun.

I was told by a friend keen on miniature horses that the smaller the horse the less good natured they are.

This may be an awful generalisation and even a myth but I just thought I'd pass it on.

Cheers,

I think they call it 'short horse syndrome' :D.

Back