Mining Subsidence, rebuild Central Coast

Hi everyone
I'm just about to buy a very old house on the Central Coast. It is in a Mine subsidence district (Swansea-The Entrance)

I was just wondering how many problems I will have when we come to rebuild. Plans will have to be cleared by the Mine Subsidence Board as well as by council. We would plan to have a two storey building, raised up because it's also in a 1/100 year flood area.

Have you done this or heard of people who have gone through this, and is a right hassle or is it fairly easy to satisfy the Mine Subsidence Board.

Many thanks :)

Hi everyone
I'm just about to buy a very old house on the Central Coast. It is in a Mine subsidence district (Swansea-The Entrance)

I was just wondering how many problems I will have when we come to rebuild. Plans will have to be cleared by the Mine Subsidence Board as well as by council. We would plan to have a two storey building, raised up because it's also in a 1/100 year flood area.

Have you done this or heard of people who have gone through this, and is a right hassle or is it fairly easy to satisfy the Mine Subsidence Board.

Many thanks :)

Hi Glenn,

They do strip mining under many parts of the Central Coast & The Hunter.

Getting plans approved by the Mine Subsidence Board is pretty much a rubber stamp. You will have no issues especially since you will not be building on a slab or having a tile roof (I'd assume colourbond?). Both these make the weight on the ground very much less.

In the unlikely event that your house subsided, or cracked due to subsidence, then the Mine Subsidence Board is supposed to repair it or purchase it back from you which is why they want a say when the building is initially sought to be built.

I am aware that many years ago they purchased 3 houses in a row across from the waterfront (lake). The houses were not damaged but the land had subsided and in a 1 in 100 year flood event, the houses flooded whereas they had not flooded before.

Last edited:
What area exactly are we talking about.

Chain valley had a subsidence about 10 years ago and the houses ended up in the lake.
These property owners were compensated but others are still fighting so having damage done to your property by mine subsidence does not guarantee compensation.
The Central coast express and Newcastle herald had features about this a few weeks back.

Also checkout this link below
http://chainvalleymine.com.au/
This will show you the area they are about to mine if they get approved.

Thank you Propertunity and nww
I didn't realize quite how widespread the mining has been.
If you add something or rebuild without having it cleared then I guess you won't get compensation if something happens. Sounds like any house pre 1966 is automatically covered for compensation. After that, any new building would have had to be cleared before construction. At least that's now my understanding.
Thanks for your comments

Back