mirrabooka, balga, nollamarra

:eek:I met up with a relatively new property investor 2 weeks ago, building in Greenmount, 2 villas behind the original house, site works quoted $180,000 (Ventura), how much money is he making...... -$50,000 in the red.

He purchased 2 years ago, I asked him why Greenmount?? his answer was "too much competition in areas close to city such as Morley". The thing is if he had stuck to these areas he would have made money without the headache of building as we all know its the land that has gone through the roof.

MTR

Except Midland site works could blow out due to clay soil?? I know something who I think spent around $120K which was a nasty surprise

Whats the best and cheapest way to test clay in soil then @MTR

The 3x villas would only be roughly 80sqm ie: small 2x1x1s

Would they cost 200k each?

Z6

Except Midland site works could blow out due to clay soil?? I know something who I think spent around $120K which was a nasty surprise

Yep I did quite a few of the low rise units in Midland.

So you will need grid thickening under your slabs, trench mesh, rods in the brickwork. Then the actual siteworks they will strip about 600mm-800mm out of the entire site, dome it off, lay down poly plastic then bring in clean fill....

On a small villa you may as well add 5% to the build cost of each villa.

Whats the best and cheapest way to test clay in soil then @MTR

The 3x villas would only be roughly 80sqm ie: small 2x1x1s

Would they cost 200k each?

Z6

Tsk tsk - you didn't read my post to you :). Ring structerre and see if they have done any geotechnical reports on the street and what class soil type they found. Structerre do most of the soil testing in Perth and will tell you for free over the phone if you ask nicely

I know the builder is either Residential 101 or 101 builders. Pretty sure its the first. It has 101 in it ha.

Ill find out the sqm for you aswell and let you know

That is darn cheap to include a pool. 101 Residential do a pod type second storey so that reduces the cost.

That is darn cheap to include a pool. 101 Residential do a pod type second storey so that reduces the cost.
On my cycle route to work I saw them craning the pod second storey into place and have been able to see the progress since. House has come up looking very smart. I understand the pod second storey is well insulated. How about durability? Maintenence issues down the track?

On my cycle route to work I saw them craning the pod second storey into place and have been able to see the progress since. House has come up looking very smart. I understand the pod second storey is well insulated. How about durability? Maintenence issues down the track?

Pretty sure they work on 24 or 26 weeks build time on those. Pretty impressive. A lot of their drafting/scheduling/estimating done in an office out of Singapore. Very modern configuration as far as a building business model goes.

Maintenance would just be painting, but anyone doing painted sand finish render will be doing this anyway.

Tsk tsk - you didn't read my post to you :). Ring structerre and see if they have done any geotechnical reports on the street and what class soil type they found. Structerre do most of the soil testing in Perth and will tell you for free over the phone if you ask nicely

I did Westy.

I just forgot exactly what they were called.

I was talking about it last night in the chatroom but couldnt remember exactly who they were. Anyway this time its written up on the wall on a piece of paper i write my important notes. Hasnt come to me till now with how important it could be. Sort of was turning a blind eye.

Will give them a go, will just ask if they could provide a soil report for the given street and see what they say.

Also Westy In Clarkson Catalina building 1 villa 70-80 sqm you reckon would cost 125k each. However why would the cost be so much more substantial building 2-3 on the same property in Midland same size.

I understand that earth works may increase it by at least 5% as stated above by boeman. Which would make it about 130-135k, why would it cost 200k per unit/villa?

I cant get my head around this.
Z6

I did Westy.

I was talking about it last night in the chatroom but couldnt remember exactly who they were. Anyway this time its written up on the wall on a piece of paper i write my important notes. Hasnt come to me till now with how important it could be. Sort of was turning a blind eye.

Will give them a go, will just ask if they could provide a soil report for the given street and see what they say.

Also Westy In Clarkson Catalina building 1 villa 70-80 sqm you reckon would cost 125k each. However why would the cost be so much more substantial building 2-3 on the same property in Midland same size.

I understand that earth works may increase it by at least 5% as stated above by boeman. Which would make it about 130-135k, why would it cost 200k per unit/villa?

Z6

Because if you are building single storey villas in Midland surely you will go for a 130m2-ish 3x2 if you are covering a full block?

70m2 villa is going to be 2x1 or 1x1. Most people build these in blocks of 6-12 in Midland.

I did Westy.

Z6

They won't give you a report but they will tell you what class the soil it - A, H, M etc

Besides approx $20k more each in site costs per dwelling in Midland I don't expect them to be more but of course no guarantees, we are comparing 2 areas which are chalk and cheese. For example there is very little earthworks, sewerage is in a good spot, power dome already done etc etc

I didn't say $200k someone else must have

Because if you are building single storey villas in Midland surely you will go for a 130m2-ish 3x2 if you are covering a full block?

70m2 villa is going to be 2x1 or 1x1. Most people build these in blocks of 6-12 in Midland.

It's a R60 blocks so only 150sqm per block hence the small size villa for going single storey

Include in your O&A contract that the sale is subject to a satisfactory soil test. Then order a quick Borehole Soil test for about $1200 to be sure. Else call them up and get some free advice about other existing soil reports in the area. Free advice is dangerous since one site can have clay but a site across the road could be sandy (clay could be in waves underneath the ground)

Soil Testing Companies:
Prompt engineering
Structerre

Soil Test Types:
  • Class A - This denotes very 'stable' ground - mostly sand and rock, not affected by moisture
  • Class S - Slightly reactive soil, slight movement due to moisture
  • Class M - Moderately reactive soil, moderate movement due to moisture
  • Class H - Highly reactive soil, a high amount of movement due to moisture
  • Class E - Extremely reactive soil, extreme movement due to moisture
  • Class P - 'Problem' soil, which experiences land slip, mine subsidence and so forth. If you are building on Class P site you will typically need to consult an engineer.

It's a R60 blocks so only 150sqm per block hence the small size villa for going single storey

Correct. I worked out 471 (lot size) - 30sqm (frontage that cant be built on 2x15)

441sqm/3 = 147sqm per place.

40% needs to be outdoor area. 60% living area.

So 147 x 0.6 = 88.2m max living area.

I believe the living area includes the garage?

Correct. I worked out 471 (lot size) - 30sqm (frontage that cant be built on 2x15)

441sqm/3 = 147sqm per place.

40% needs to be outdoor area. 60% living area.

So 147 x 0.6 = 88.2m max living area.

I believe the living area includes the garage?

Is this for a grouped dwelling (villa,townhouse) or multi dwelling (unit/apartment)? Plot ratio is used only for apartments

The site coverage for a grouped dwelling includes the garage.

Is this for a grouped dwelling (villa,townhouse) or multi dwelling (unit/apartment)? Plot ratio is used only for apartments

The site coverage for a grouped dwelling includes the garage.

Villa/townhouse

So garage is included in the outdoor area or living area? For grouped dwelling

The important questions haven't been answered yet, even working out a rough cost is there the required margin for this product based on current purchase price of land and finished product?

If there isn't (and I suspect that may be the case) then it is just a waste of time

I think that is pretty important % /profit.

I would also think timing is up there as well, is anyone looking carefully at this???? Its much easier to make money when the market is moving, don't try it when its not

The important questions haven't been answered yet, even working out a rough cost is there the required margin for this product based on current purchase price of land and finished product?

If there isn't (and I suspect that may be the case) then it is just a waste of time

Do you mean between build cost vs end product price?

Its hard to say because people are giving very different guesstimates of how much it will coat to build these villas. So far ive got a range from 140k to 200k

Back