mirrabooka, balga, nollamarra

how important are having garages when it comes to end value and demand?

are carports viewed as very inferior and affect price/demand?

analyzing the last few posts, seems like using a carport is a good way to have more actual living area instead of garage eating up the allowance

Depends on the area. But generally all want garages so that their cars are secure. The only place now I see with people building carports into developments is apartments where they are behind an automatic gate etc

Sigh. Just trust me on this. If all the other houses have carports/garages then you need to have one as well. It's a good investment.

Sort of a tounge in cheek comment. But yes more for security i guess.

I just liked the idea of maximising space for living area. Maybe the front one could have a garage and the ones at the back not so ect.

Its amazing what we Perthians must have, in Melb you can get away with god forbid single carports, and even car spaces, we are incredibly picky here in Perth. Perhaps we just have not caught up to the rest of Australia.

In saying this I can tell you there is no way in this world that I would build villas without double garages as I know it would be extremely difficult to sell in areas that I am investing in.

It's an interesting one.

I will say though that I sold a fully renovated 3x1 character home in maylands/Inglewood in 2012 that had parking behind a low gate but no carport or garage and it was not an issue at all surprisingly

Its amazing what we Perthians must have, in Melb you can get away with god forbid single carports, and even car spaces, we are incredibly picky here in Perth. Perhaps we just have not caught up to the rest of Australia.

In saying this I can tell you there is no way in this world that I would build villas without double garages as I know it would be extremely difficult to sell in areas that I am investing in.

What's a double garage??? :D

It's an interesting one.

I will say though that I sold a fully renovated 3x1 character home in maylands/Inglewood in 2012 that had parking behind a low gate but no carport or garage and it was not an issue at all surprisingly

Sanj
I think with new builds a different kettle of fish and something that buyers expect.

When you look at older suburbs like Maylands/Inglewood probably most wont have double lock up garage because in many cases probably not enough land, however the location/proximity to city makes it desirable regardless and there are plenty of buyers that will buy for the character of the house/location as number 1 priority

Carports are my personal pet peeve. Especially double carports.
In Perth a 3 bed house 'must' have a double carport. Seriously? It is just a complete waste of space. Imagine what you could do with that extra space in a house, instead we insist on parking a car in it.

Admitedly the Perth obsession with car bays may well be due to our ultra crappy public transport network. But that is another story.

Blacky

What about a totally different look to this

How expensive is it becoming to own a car. Strong increases in registeration, insurance and for perth now this toll cost. Will the day of fsmilies having 2 cars be gone. Railway links and transport can only go one way in perth and thats of great improvement which has been proposed to happen between 2021-2031.

Also i guess you also need to consider if their is parking on the road available. Can one car be parked on the verge whikst the other in a carport.

Carports are my personal pet peeve. Especially double carports.
In Perth a 3 bed house 'must' have a double carport. Seriously? It is just a complete waste of space. Imagine what you could do with that extra space in a house, instead we insist on parking a car in it.

Admitedly the Perth obsession with car bays may well be due to our ultra crappy public transport network. But that is another story.

Blacky

Perth has a great public transport and freeway system, go to Adelaide and see what bad public transport and practically no infrastructure (although catching up) really looks like.

Anybody have any news on rezoning?

Have been speaking to city of swan and they have told me strong mumors of their proposed rezoning going through in 2015.

However im not sure if the state WAPC will be in a hurry to further increase subdivision even more for at least a bit.

Although the building industry in perth has been going off lately and if we lose that along with resources dropping then you would think proposed rezoning may be more likely to be put through to keep building going

However im not sure if the state WAPC will be in a hurry to further increase subdivision even more for at least a bit.

Although the building industry in perth has been going off lately and if we lose that along with resources dropping then you would think proposed rezoning may be more likely to be put through to keep building going

I don't think WAPC take this sort of stuff into account. They have their own long term strategies that they follow.

Have been speaking to city of swan and they have told me strong mumors of their proposed rezoning going through in 2015.

WAPC does not sign off on rezonings. That would be the Minister for Planning. Pretty good odds the Minister will sign it off.

I don't think WAPC take this sort of stuff into account. They have their own long term strategies that they follow.

WAPC does not sign off on rezonings. That would be the Minister for Planning. Pretty good odds the Minister will sign it off.

So the proposed rezoning has to be approved first by the local Council then it will be approved at the WAPC which can take 6-12mths after that. WAPC won't do rezonings by themselves, it always has to be initiated by the local Councils.

Mmm I don't think it will.

Realistically isn't far to the main train line anyway, and serviced by Wanneroo road bus services. Also Girrawheen High School and Warwick (500m from each other) are looking to be merged and hopefully create a good high school. Shopping centres are plenty (Warwick, Girrawheen, Alexander Heights, Kingsway). Rawlinson and Girrawheen Primary schools. Blackmore primary was shut and there is a huge BGC development occurring there.

I don't think the light rail affects the area much for now. Will be great when it happens, but not crucial to the area. Rezoning is needed to refresh the area, as houses are old and small on large blocks. Already occurred in Nollamara and Balga, logical step is Girrawheen.

Just look at Ellenbrook. Performed well without the promised rail network.

The Swan scheme amendment to rezone has to be reviewed by Dept of Planning staff before the Minister of Planning signs off. Like all state govt departments they have been gutted of resources and staff hence the time taken for rezonings.

The Swan scheme amendment to rezone has to be reviewed by Dept of Planning staff before the Minister of Planning signs off. Like all state govt departments they have been gutted of resources and staff hence the time taken for rezonings.
Do you know if all scheme amendments have to go through the Statutory Planning Committee of the WAPC? I was thinking that the Swan and Stirling amendments probably should. I have been checking the minutes online but I have not seen anything about the Stirling amendment - the one banning multi-units below R50. Maybe next year? I haven't checked for the Swan amendment so I don't know if that went through WAPC yet. If not, I don't think they are meeting again until Feb.

Back