Misinformation by the bank - How to get payments refunded

I used my LOC to buy the property outright and then took loan from ANZ Bank. When I was signing the paperwork the girl in the bank told me that - 'If i keep the money in the bank and did not take it out, i will not be charged any interest'. Since I did not need the money, i left it in the bank. Ironically, I recently found out that the bank is charging interest on the full loan amount. I am paying two mortgages for one property :mad:.

Went to the bank and met the person, who gave me the information. She categorically refused to accept that she told me anything like that.

I have Simplicity plus home loan.

Since then I have transferred the money into another offset account.

What is the best way to get my repayments back?

Thanks for all help.

How long was the money owing and not offsetting?
How much is the loan?

The amount of the claim will give an idea if the dispute can be settled by a regional manager or if it has to go through a formal dispute process...

How long was the money owing and not offsetting?
How much is the loan?

The amount of the claim will give an idea if the dispute can be settled by a regional manager or if it has to go through a formal dispute process...

The total amount was $135,000, not offsetting for 3 months. The amt of claim is approx $2300.

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about the branch. You could try to speak to the area manager and see of they can support a request for an interest rebate. If not you can go through the banks complaint hotline.

It is mandatory for banks to have dispute handling brochures in the branches with details of how to make a complaint. The info is also on their website (some times referred to as " feedback and compliments").

Once you have lodged a complaint with the bank - if not resolved you can go to the banking ombudsman. They will only start the process if you have a reference number of the bank complaint (you have to give the bank a shot at resolving the dispute first).

When I was signing the paperwork the girl in the bank told me that - 'If i keep the money in the bank and did not take it out, i will not be charged any interest'. Since I did not need the money, i left it in the bank.

How did you keep it in the bank? Did you draw down the loan and if so where did the money go?

Cheers

The first step would be to put a complaint in writing so the bank will follow the correct protocol. In your letter put as much detail as possible in it with regards to who said what and at what time. If you follow the complaint process through and you don't get a satisfactory outcome you could then proceed to the banking ombudsman. I would forget about the branch cause they will do everything possible not to escalate the problem imo.

first thing

ANZ get this wrong REGULARLY

Second

Simplicity plus doesnt have an offset facility. I assume your cash has then been in an ANZ savings account, at the full disposal of the lender.

This is a simple matter to resolve.............. usually.

Speak firstly with the local manager of that branch.

If there is no resolution, as already pinted out, seek to find out the regional managers name and try that.

Should that fail, go straight to the ANZ Ombudsmans Representative, whose details can be provided to you by the ANZ.

ta
rolf

Bank said NO

Hi,

Just got this response from the bank.

Please be advised that your service request has now been completed and the following are our findings.

Please be advised that if you had transferred your funds back into the loan at settlment/drawdown stage , the Interest would have been reduced. As this did not happen we are unable to refund you the Interest you are seeking.

Should you wish to place a formal complaint with our Problem Resolution team please contact them on 1800 805 154

Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us on 13 25 99

I was not advised about transferring the money into the loan account.

What is the next best step?

Hi

Place the complaint with their complaints area.

Unless you instructed them to draw the loan down and place the funds into an account, in the end I believe they will come good

ta
rolf

hi firstmillion, please follow my first response and always put complaints in writing so the proper procedure gets followed. by proceeding at the branch level you have just wasted time. Put the complaint in writing to the complaints department then you will be issued a "case" officer and if that fails and you are not happy you can get it escalated to external dispute resolution.

Complaints Procedure

G'Day

I have just completed a very arduous file with another Bank (not ANZ)

Murphy was the File Manager with this application. Yep, what could have gone wrong, did go wrong, from Day 1 in September right through to (very delayed) Settlement on Christmas Eve.

However, more importantly, despite repeated written requests from me regarding structuring, the loan amount was right but the LVR was wrong - resulting in the LMI premium jumping from $2,500 to $12,500!

As soon as the loan settled, I encouraged the customer to make a written complaint to the Bank and rang the complaints department myself to find out exactly how they should do this, and then provided the customer with this information plus a Privacy Consent letter authorising the Bank to speak with me about the file

However, as with all things, Caveat Emptor applies.

'firstmillion', you would have been given printed information regarding the loan product - the Simplicity Plus - and what it could do. Leaving undrawn funds in a loan account is quite different from instructing the Bank to draw all funds and to deposit the funds into a non-linked savings account.

You would have provided them with these written instructions for drawdown of the loan.

My customers collected the loan documents from their conveyancer, took them home, signed them, and returned the docs the next day for the conveyancer to use the DX system to return the signed docs to the lender.

These docs were in the incorrect format, so a second set was issued a week later. They then attended the head office of the lender and signed these docs in the foyer.

The Bank's response to the claim that the LMI was calculated incorrectly will depend largely on whether the first set of docs also showed the wrong LMI calculations.

If the first set was wrong, and the customer did not read the documents even though they had them overnight, then the plea that they were under duress (facing rescission of their Contract) when signing the second set will be mitigated. It is called contributory negligence.

At no time until immediately before settlement was the shortfall in funds told to me. As part of the loan had already been funded by this time, it was literally 'too late' to do anything but let the settlement run and try to deal with the situation later.

'firstmillion', as I see it, the outcome of your complaint may not be financial compensation to you - the Bank did what you asked them to do - but simply more staff training as to the choice of words used by the staff when setting up instructions with the customer.

From what you have said, the Branch Officer (sorry, didn't realise that ANZ employed 'girls' - I have only met adults in the branches) alerted you to 'undrawn funds' ('If i keep the money in the bank and did not take it out, i will not be charged any interest'), and did not imply that keeping the money in any random savings account would offset the interest charged on the loan balance.

If you had picked up this error in the first month after settlement, you could have easily remedied the situation. By not checking your statements / ringing Customer Service / calling in to the Branch for three months I would have to say that you have contributed significantly to the situation.

This is called 'taking responsibility'.

Taking responsibility is what grown-ups do. That is how grown-ups make their first million.

Grown-ups read the information provided by the Branch / Broker and probably also rummage about on the lender's website, too. Grown-ups ask questions and make sure that they are very clear on what their loan product can and cannot do. The Simplicity Plus is a bog standard discount rate loan. As your borrowings are below the threshold for discounting for aggregated borrowings, if you had chosen the fully featured Standard Variable Rate loan you would have been paying the full rate but could have set up the ANZ One Offset Account.

OK, sorry if this has sounded like the Wicked Witch of the West dispensing knuckle rapping.

I understand that you are somewhat miffed and wanting to blame someone and that someone else should pay.

By all means, lodge a formal Complaint. Be very aware of what was said between you and the 'girl' and be very truthful as to what printed information was provided to you at the time of applying for the loan and during the course of the application.

Lodging an official Complaint is your right, but it is not to be taken as some sort of cover up if you did not ask questions and did not check that the loan had settled according to your instructions, and did not check for three months that the post-settlement situation was not as you thought it would be.

The importance and value to you of what has happened is not whether or not the ANZ should repay the interest to you. The importance and value to you is whether you now make sure that in all things, you take the appropriate time and care to look after your own interests.

If you do that, then you will certainly be on your way to your first million.

cheers
Kristine

G'Day

I have just completed a very arduous file with another Bank (not ANZ)

Murphy was the File Manager with this application. Yep, what could have gone wrong, did go wrong, from Day 1 in September right through to (very delayed) Settlement on Christmas Eve.

However, more importantly, despite repeated written requests from me regarding structuring, the loan amount was right but the LVR was wrong - resulting in the LMI premium jumping from $2,500 to $12,500!

As soon as the loan settled, I encouraged the customer to make a written complaint to the Bank and rang the complaints department myself to find out exactly how they should do this, and then provided the customer with this information plus a Privacy Consent letter authorising the Bank to speak with me about the file

However, as with all things, Caveat Emptor applies.

'firstmillion', you would have been given printed information regarding the loan product - the Simplicity Plus - and what it could do. Leaving undrawn funds in a loan account is quite different from instructing the Bank to draw all funds and to deposit the funds into a non-linked savings account.

You would have provided them with these written instructions for drawdown of the loan.

My customers collected the loan documents from their conveyancer, took them home, signed them, and returned the docs the next day for the conveyancer to use the DX system to return the signed docs to the lender.

These docs were in the incorrect format, so a second set was issued a week later. They then attended the head office of the lender and signed these docs in the foyer.

The Bank's response to the claim that the LMI was calculated incorrectly will depend largely on whether the first set of docs also showed the wrong LMI calculations.

If the first set was wrong, and the customer did not read the documents even though they had them overnight, then the plea that they were under duress (facing rescission of their Contract) when signing the second set will be mitigated. It is called contributory negligence.

At no time until immediately before settlement was the shortfall in funds told to me. As part of the loan had already been funded by this time, it was literally 'too late' to do anything but let the settlement run and try to deal with the situation later.

'firstmillion', as I see it, the outcome of your complaint may not be financial compensation to you - the Bank did what you asked them to do - but simply more staff training as to the choice of words used by the staff when setting up instructions with the customer.

From what you have said, the Branch Officer (sorry, didn't realise that ANZ employed 'girls' - I have only met adults in the branches) alerted you to 'undrawn funds' ('If i keep the money in the bank and did not take it out, i will not be charged any interest'), and did not imply that keeping the money in any random savings account would offset the interest charged on the loan balance.

If you had picked up this error in the first month after settlement, you could have easily remedied the situation. By not checking your statements / ringing Customer Service / calling in to the Branch for three months I would have to say that you have contributed significantly to the situation.

This is called 'taking responsibility'.

Taking responsibility is what grown-ups do. That is how grown-ups make their first million.

Grown-ups read the information provided by the Branch / Broker and probably also rummage about on the lender's website, too. Grown-ups ask questions and make sure that they are very clear on what their loan product can and cannot do. The Simplicity Plus is a bog standard discount rate loan. As your borrowings are below the threshold for discounting for aggregated borrowings, if you had chosen the fully featured Standard Variable Rate loan you would have been paying the full rate but could have set up the ANZ One Offset Account.

OK, sorry if this has sounded like the Wicked Witch of the West dispensing knuckle rapping.

I understand that you are somewhat miffed and wanting to blame someone and that someone else should pay.

By all means, lodge a formal Complaint. Be very aware of what was said between you and the 'girl' and be very truthful as to what printed information was provided to you at the time of applying for the loan and during the course of the application.

Lodging an official Complaint is your right, but it is not to be taken as some sort of cover up if you did not ask questions and did not check that the loan had settled according to your instructions, and did not check for three months that the post-settlement situation was not as you thought it would be.

The importance and value to you of what has happened is not whether or not the ANZ should repay the interest to you. The importance and value to you is whether you now make sure that in all things, you take the appropriate time and care to look after your own interests.

If you do that, then you will certainly be on your way to your first million.

cheers
Kristine
good counsel Kristine.

firstmillion- is english your first language? i suspect there might have been some language issues too?

hi firstmillion, please follow my first response and always put complaints in writing so the proper procedure gets followed. by proceeding at the branch level you have just wasted time. Put the complaint in writing to the complaints department then you will be issued a "case" officer and if that fails and you are not happy you can get it escalated to external dispute resolution.

Hi,

I had put a written complaint through their securemail system and i have a complaint number. Will escalate the problem. Thanks for your support.

regards

if during the signing of bank loan docs, a bank representative tells you something about the loans, then is it unreasonable to rely on the advice of said bank representative ? I think not.

Good luck with your complaint firstmillion.

Last edited by a moderator:
if during the signing of bank loan docs, a bank representative tells you something about the loans, then is it unreasonable to rely on the advice of said bank representative ? I think not.

Good luck with your complaint firstmillion.

What?? Rely on what some little "18-year-old-office-jockey-who-can't-wait-to-get-to-the-pub-after-work-or-back-to-his-desk-to-check-the-latest-facebook-update" tells you vebally?

Whatever is spoken is not worth a pinch of rocking horse teeth.
You can only rely on what is in writing.

Boods

Update

Update -

Got call from the Mortgage problem resolution on jan 05, 2011 at 8:30 AM. The officer said that she will talk with Mary to understand her side of the story and will call me. She refused to communicate on email.

Cheers

Update -

Got call from the Mortgage problem resolution on jan 05, 2011 at 8:30 AM. The officer said that she will talk with Mary to understand her side of the story and will call me. She refused to communicate on email.

Cheers

The lack of things in writing caused the issue in the firstplace, so I would not expect any lender staff on the backfoot to be accountable in this way.

ta

rolf

Back