Missing Malaysia airline.

So now the US and NZ are joining Aust sweeping an area of 600,000 sq km SW of Perth. And China would like to join this new search area (who is stopping them?). So the focus has shifted again. By the time they're finished they will have covered 1/2 the world's surface.

Apparently Rupert Murdoch posted on social media saying that he thinks terrorists stole the plane and flew it to Pakistan :p

They are concentrating on 2 routes, one to the west of Australia and the other over that section of Asia.

Considering foul play has been positively determined, and the plane was flown for many hours with the intention of remaining undetected, that's probably one theory that can't be discounted.

Why do you think it's funny?

He has a mate who is one of Aust's better software engineers and has seen how easy it is to hack into big 4 bank systems. The prospect of remote hacking/hijacking has not been really considered until now but maybe the authorities need to get smart.
Off topic, sorry
As one who knows a fair amount about internet banking at one of the big 4, I think your mate is having a lend

Off topic, sorry
As one who knows a fair amount about internet banking at one of the big 4, I think your mate is having a lend

+1. I am a professional IT security consultant, and will say that although it's not impossible to break, Internet banking is pretty solid. The most successful way to attack such a system would be to compromise the computer of an Internet banking customer and capture their credentials, but even then you can't just anonymously transfer money away - the main way would be to steal credit card details and use them quickly.

If you worked for the bank you might be able to implant some malicious code, but you'd need privileged access to do so (which could be obtained as part of a wider attack), but with whitelisting and event correlation taking steps foward in recent years there's a good chance it will be noticed.

Again, it's not impossible, but there wouldn't be many people capable of doing it and getting away without being detected.

Another "out there" theory backed up with some facts is that the plane was able to get through the airspace of India, Pakistan and Afghanistan by "shadowing" another aircraft, sitting just above and behind it and only showing up as a single blip on radar.

http://keithledgerwood.tumblr.com/post/79838944823/did-malaysian-airlines-370-disappear-using-sia68-sq68

It just so happens that SQ68 flying from Singapore to Barcelona was in the air at the exact time, location and heading where the Malaysian plane was last detected west of the Malaysian peninsular. I've flown on SQ68 before, it goes straight over Afghanistan and Turkmenistan.

That guy copied his post from a guy on Reddit who first came up with it but the guys at http://www.pprune.org/ aren't giving the shadowing theory a lot of credit.

This has been extensively covered and debunked.

A pilot told us he once flew across india shadowing a LARGER aircraft, the post sounded like a military excerise I assumed from it he was in a fighter and the biggy was a tanker.

he stated he had to sit almost under it's wing, now to know that the pair of aircraft must have been in contact with the radars tracking them.

In that scenario the biggy would inform him of any flight path / alt changes about to happen, not the stealth shadowing scenario.

Also you could only shadow from radar in on direction., so if crossing air defence you are still likely to be picked up at radar overlap points.

Overthewing, all of the TCAS units I've played with have been integrated with the transponder. Turn the transponder off and you don't have a TCAS, at all, not for receiving or transmitting. Think of TCAS as a type of transponder rather than a separate system.

Like others have said you can't have one without the other. So for you to be able to track an other aircraft using TCAS the other aircraft will be able to see you, as will all the other SSR receivers in the area.

+1. I am a professional IT security consultant, and will say that although it's not impossible to break, Internet banking is pretty solid. The most successful way to attack such a system would be to compromise the computer of an Internet banking customer and capture their credentials, but even then you can't just anonymously transfer money away - the main way would be to steal credit card details and use them quickly.

If you worked for the bank you might be able to implant some malicious code, but you'd need privileged access to do so (which could be obtained as part of a wider attack), but with whitelisting and event correlation taking steps foward in recent years there's a good chance it will be noticed.

Again, it's not impossible, but there wouldn't be many people capable of doing it and getting away without being detected.

It was some years ago and the mate is in fact a very high level software developer. He was brought in to assess the IT security of one of the big 4 and he was able to show them how easy it would be (for someone like him) to hack in. Not easy for any old Tom Dick or Harry but a serious attempt by highly motivated interests could do so. I don't know if transferring cash was the objective, or playing havoc with records. In any event that was some years ago, the loopholes were probably closed shortly thereafter.

Ditto for taking over the plane by smartphone or similar, not any old Tom Dick or Harry but certainly vested interests could hire the right gun to do the job.

The Age outlines 7 of the theories going around, I think this sounds most likely at the moment:

1. SOURCE: Chris Goodfellow, who describes himself as an experienced pilot.

THE THEORY: Mr Goodfellow has posted on Google Plus that he believes the pilot on MH370 may have been heading to the Malaysian resort island of Langkawi to land after the transponders were knocked out by a fire on board.

"The left turn is the key here. This was a very experienced senior Captain with 18,000 hours,?? Mr Goodfellow writes.

"Maybe some of the younger pilots interviewed on CNN didn?t pick up on this left turn. We old pilots were always drilled to always know the closest airport of safe harbour while in cruise.

"Instinctively when I saw that left turn with a direct heading I knew he was heading for an airport. Actually he was taking a direct route to Palau Langkawi a 13,000 foot strip with an approach over water at night with no obstacles. He did not turn back to Kuala Lampur because he knew he had 8,000 foot ridges to cross. He knew the terrain was friendlier towards Langkawi and also a shorter distance.

"Take a look on Google Earth at this airport. This pilot did all the right things. He was confronted by some major event onboard that made him make that immediate turn back to the closest safe airport."

Mr Goodfellow continues: "What I think happened is that they were overcome by smoke and the plane just continued on the heading probably on George (autopilot) until either fuel exhaustion or fire destroyed the control surfaces and it crashed. I said four days ago you will find it along that route - looking elsewhere was pointless."

http://theage.com.au/world/missing-malaysia-airlines-plane-flight-theory-tracker-20140319-hvkbl.html

The worlds superpowers have dedicated massive resources to this hunt and are no idea closer as to what happened. China even launched 21 hi-res satellites!

The more we look at the available evidence, the more it seems that the inescapable conclusion is that the flight did somehow vanish, via some means that we do not currently understand.

This isn't new and has happened before in the past. One of the most notable moments was Flight 19 (http://www.nasflmuseum.com/flight-19.html), where 5x US Navy bombers disappeared without a trace.

It's a real shame to see the way our media is portraying the Malaysians, like they are 'bumbling fools', with 'conflicting reports' and 'poor security'. I travelled through Malaysia recently and I can tell you the young solider was very thorough and did a very good job at questioning me and verifiying my passport, and I'm a typical 'safe' white looking guy. Can't help but think they are laying the foundations of a cover up (either terrorism based or incompetence based).

Last edited:
Jackbak, I've been looking at that line of reasoning after the reports came out, and there is much to recommend it.

Thing I don't get is this. If you look at the flightpath, they were last identified flying WNW towards the Andaman Islands. The Maldives are WNW of the gap between the 2 arcs. Now we hear a low flying jet went over the Maldives that morning, which concurs. If they were flying low they might have escaped radar so could have gone that way.

So are we now going to see the searches in the 2 arcs suspended while they move to search WNW of the Maldives?

Attachments

• mh370.jpg
    mh370.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 86
Palau Langkawi is the island shown mostly as yellow just below the line joining Igari waypoint to Vampi waypoint.
(Yellow is roads in Google Earth, Palau Langkawi is a tourist island so there are plenty of roads and at this scale it shows up as yellow.)

Some more information on Flight 19... the interesting part is the last radio comms.

Five Avengers are airborne at 1400 on a bright sunny day. The mission is a routine two-hour patrol from Fort Lauderdale, Fla. due east for 150 miles, north for 40 miles and then return to base. All five pilots are highly experienced aviators and all of the aircraft have been carefully checked prior to takeoff. The weather over the route is reported to be excellent, a typical sunny Florida day. The flight proceeds. At 1545 Fort Lauderdale tower receives a call from the flight but, instead of requesting landing instructions, the flight leader sounds confused and worried. "Cannot see land," he blurts. "We seem to be off course."

"What is your position?" the tower asks.

There are a few moments of silence. The tower personnel squint into the sunlight of the clear Florida afternoon. No sign of the flight.

"We cannot be sure where we are," the flight leader announces. "Repeat: Cannot see land."

Contact is lost with the flight for about 10 minutes and then it is resumed. But it is not the voice of the flight leader. Instead, voices of the crews are heard, sounding confused and disoriented, "more like a bunch of boy scouts lost in the woods than experienced airmen flying in clear weather." "We can't find west. Everything is wrong. We can't be sure of any direction. Everything looks strange, even the ocean." Another delay and then the tower operator learns to his surprise that the leader has handed over his command to another pilot for no apparent reason.

Twenty minutes later, the new leader calls the tower, his voice trembling and bordering on hysteria. "We can't tell where we are . . .everything is . . .can't make out anything. We think we may be about 225 miles northeast of base . . ." For a few moments the pilot rambles incoherently before uttering the last words ever heard from Flight 19: "It looks like we are entering white water . . .We're completely lost."

Within minutes a Mariner flying boat, carrying rescue equipment, is on its way to Flight 19's last estimated position. Ten minutes after takeoff, the PBM checks in with the tower . . .and is never heard from again. Coast Guard and Navy ships and aircraft comb the area for the six aircraft. They find a calm sea, clear skies, middling winds of up to 40 miles per hour and nothing else. For five days almost 250,000 square miles of the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf are searched. Yet, not a flare is seen, not an oil slick, life raft or telltale piece of wreckage is ever found.

Finally, after an extensive Navy Board of Inquiry investigation is completed, the riddle remains intact. The Board's report is summed up in one terse statement: "We are not able to even make a good guess as to what happened."

From http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq15-2.htm

After the 5 planes 'disappeared', the Navy sent a search and rescue plane with 13 crew on board. It also never returned.

This theory has been debunked on Reddit ... something to do with a change in direction after the pilots were supposedly overcome by smoke and incapacitated. I think the thread is in the True Reddit sub reddit.They've now created one user account to give updates. Last I checked they're up to thread 10.

The Age outlines 7 of the theories going around, I think this sounds most likely at the moment:

1. SOURCE: Chris Goodfellow, who describes himself as an experienced pilot.

THE THEORY: Mr Goodfellow has posted on Google Plus that he believes the pilot on MH370 may have been heading to the Malaysian resort island of Langkawi to land after the transponders were knocked out by a fire on board.

"The left turn is the key here. This was a very experienced senior Captain with 18,000 hours,?? Mr Goodfellow writes.

"Maybe some of the younger pilots interviewed on CNN didn?t pick up on this left turn. We old pilots were always drilled to always know the closest airport of safe harbour while in cruise.

"Instinctively when I saw that left turn with a direct heading I knew he was heading for an airport. Actually he was taking a direct route to Palau Langkawi a 13,000 foot strip with an approach over water at night with no obstacles. He did not turn back to Kuala Lampur because he knew he had 8,000 foot ridges to cross. He knew the terrain was friendlier towards Langkawi and also a shorter distance.

"Take a look on Google Earth at this airport. This pilot did all the right things. He was confronted by some major event onboard that made him make that immediate turn back to the closest safe airport."

Mr Goodfellow continues: "What I think happened is that they were overcome by smoke and the plane just continued on the heading probably on George (autopilot) until either fuel exhaustion or fire destroyed the control surfaces and it crashed. I said four days ago you will find it along that route - looking elsewhere was pointless."

http://theage.com.au/world/missing-malaysia-airlines-plane-flight-theory-tracker-20140319-hvkbl.html

There's some news that the wreckage may have been found finally.
More to come.

Have "found" some items, but a long way from being identified, let alone attributed to the missing aircraft.

For the families' sakes, I hope it is the evidence they are seeking.
Marg

Back