Mitcham Village Apartments - OTP

Does anyone have an update on these apartments?? I was under the impression they were supposed to have started digging by now. Are they having trouble selling the remaining units or are there planning problems?? I noticed some action around the Pegassus apartments down the road...

As of late July had seen no progress at the Mitcham village site, not sure whats happening.
This pic was taken in May and it looks the same now.

Attachments

• Mitchamvillagesite.jpg
    Mitchamvillagesite.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 104
City worker

I disagree with your sentiments - such as 'people who work in the city will love these apartments". It is hardly central living - Mitcham is 20kms from the CBD! Not a convenient location for a small apartment.

And as for your statement "as for it being an investment, how can you go wrong" - these could well prove to be a very poor investment. A block of 200 apartments does not create the scarcity you want for really good capital growth.

$420k for an apartment in mitcham is a lot of money for a tiny piece of real estate. You could have got a 2 bedroom apartment in Armadale for that money where there is high land value.

Hang on - I completely disagree with your assumption about city workers. I work in the city and I recently purchased an apartment in the other complex. I currently reside in blackburn and commute to work everyday and as much as I hate metro, I have to admit that the Belgrave/lilydale is one of the best. It's takes around 20 mins to get into the city on the weekend.

There are also buses to Doncaster shoppingtown, box hill and eastland. It's close to box hill tafe and relatively close to Deakin university as well. Let's not forget that the primary school - Mitcham primary is a really good school. When I was deciding whether to buy in Mitcham, what sealed the deal for me were the council plans for Mitcham and it's surrounding areas. They are planning on making box hill and ringwood "centres of activity" which means that they have plans to increase the number of commercial properties around those areas. There will be more offices and better transport links. Costco is moving to ringwood and they r building a shopping complex around there. As for Mitcham - they have plans to make it a residential area of activity, improving facilities like childcare and transport. The plans around Whitehorse road are also quite exciting but it will be complete around 2050. For now though - I'm looking forward to moving in in 2014 and having easy access to anything I damn want - Coles/ mitcham shops is literally across the road from me.

I've lived in the east my whole life and The cbd doesn't appeal to me as much as what the east has to offer in terms of lifestyle and views.

Hang on - I completely disagree with your assumption about city workers. I work in the city and I recently purchased an apartment in the other complex. I currently reside in blackburn and commute to work everyday and as much as I hate metro, I have to admit that the Belgrave/lilydale is one of the best. It's takes around 20 mins to get into the city on the weekend.

There are also buses to Doncaster shoppingtown, box hill and eastland. It's close to box hill tafe and relatively close to Deakin university as well. Let's not forget that the primary school - Mitcham primary is a really good school. When I was deciding whether to buy in Mitcham, what sealed the deal for me were the council plans for Mitcham and it's surrounding areas. They are planning on making box hill and ringwood "centres of activity" which means that they have plans to increase the number of commercial properties around those areas. There will be more offices and better transport links. Costco is moving to ringwood and they r building a shopping complex around there. As for Mitcham - they have plans to make it a residential area of activity, improving facilities like childcare and transport. The plans around Whitehorse road are also quite exciting but it will be complete around 2050. For now though - I'm looking forward to moving in in 2014 and having easy access to anything I damn want - Coles/ mitcham shops is literally across the road from me.

I've lived in the east my whole life and The cbd doesn't appeal to me as much as what the east has to offer in terms of lifestyle and views.

your views are only representive of a (one post) rook.

there is only 8 hours work, 8 hours sleep and 8 hours free time (which includes travel time to work, etc). unfortunately, many people would choose to be closer to work to avoid being stuck in the traffic or taking the train. 20 minutes during weekend? - why go to the CBD in the weekend when you don't have to? i lived in doncaster and it WEEKDAYS i think it does not take hardly 20 minutes by bus or by train from box hill. Try driving to the city during 7:45-9am and you will find it takes at least 1 hour during mon-friday working days.

i agree with the other poster - armadale would be better choice than mitcham. For 420K - it's more like denial factor after buying that apartment that it was a good choice

For comparison sake i bought a 2 bed apartment in prahran for 350k in 2009 around the time that these apartments were first offered.

your views are only representive of a (one post) rook.

there is only 8 hours work, 8 hours sleep and 8 hours free time (which includes travel time to work, etc). unfortunately, many people would choose to be closer to work to avoid being stuck in the traffic or taking the train. 20 minutes during weekend? - why go to the CBD in the weekend when you don't have to? i lived in doncaster and it WEEKDAYS i think it does not take hardly 20 minutes by bus or by train from box hill. Try driving to the city during 7:45-9am and you will find it takes at least 1 hour during mon-friday working days.

i agree with the other poster - armadale would be better choice than mitcham. For 420K - it's more like denial factor after buying that apartment that it was a good choice

Whoops - I meant weekday (not weekend) actually I meant morning peak hour and didn't proofread my post - apologies. To be honest, sure there are some people who would prefer inner city living and I suppose you would be one of those people although what I wanted to point out was that there are people out there - like me - who don't for a variety of reasons.

Im sure there are nice apartments in armadale and other places but it is important to recognize that people choose where they want to live for a range of reasons and proximity to the city is not the only choice. When I was researching, I did look into opportunities to buy closer to the city - I was even close to purchasing a property in reservoir for its strong growth opportunities but as soon as I saw Mitchum - it was love at first sight u can say. The schools, the people, the area and even the council (I'm a big fan of the Whitehorse council) were the winners. Also, I'm not worried about the investment - units in Mitchum can expect a solid 6% growth per year if nothing drastic changes.

Anyways, my point is that - it's not good to rule out a whole demographic when discussing why people choose their properties. Just FYI - I'm 25 years old, lookin to live in these apartments for the next 10-15 years and then upgrading to a house around the area (or nearby suburbs) when I'm ready.

it isn't 20 minutes to the cbd during morning peak seriously - it is a good 35+ minutes i tried it. you only talking about the express lines.

nobody dictates where you want to live. there are pros and cons to living anywhere you like subject to ones needs and desires but if you saying you bought mitcham village apartments coz you like the area and you reckon it is a great apartment for capital growth - then you're kidding yourself. And if you think good capital growth for mitcham village apartments is higher than other suburbs - than that is probably not right.

Any investor wouldn't mind investing anywhere whether inner city or outer suburbs or west or east as long as it can generate a return or a gain.

the other desirables of the suburb is only an extension to generate the appeal of the property in terms of achieveing your goal.

Nice thread revival! Anyway, don't get me wrong - I was not suggesting that Mitcham is an unpleasant place to live. It is has plenty going for it. The original poster, however, asked whether it was a good investment and I gave my honest opinion for the money paid for a 2 bedroom apartment.

If you get 6% growth each year, as you say, then that is great. I think it is optimistic for the reasons I suggested - lack of scarcity and low land value per apartment. A house in Mitcham would be a far better investment for very little additional capital.

As long as you are happy with what you have purchased then that is all that counts. It is your money.

I just bought one for a PPOR. Which reminds me PT_Bear, can I book you in for June 2011 to do a home loan? That's when they'll be ready.

Sorry to read you were excited for June 2011, I was looking at these but went for a 1BR in a 12apt block in Bayswater instead. Moved in Nov 2010...
How much longer are they making you wait?!

They're nearly finished by the looks of it.

If anyone is interested in purchasing my 2BR apartment, please contact me, my situation has changed, broke up with my partner, can't afford to go ahead with it anymore. :(

Back