Mobiles and Cancer

Hi All,

As a Gen Y with a job involving being on the phone a lot, I'm wary of the apparent increase in cancers being found near people's ears, or on their legs (where they keep their phone in their pocket) and would love not to have this problem later on in life.

When I'm in the office I have the mobile to my ear, and when I'm in the car I use earphones. My boss bought us earphones which significantly reduce the amount of radiation (they were just a hollow tube, with no wire in them?) but the sound quality was awful and the person on the other end could never hear me.

I'm just wondering if there is a product, either wireless or wired, which reduces radiation and is good quality? I don't mind paying a couple hundred $$ for a good product that I can use around the office and in the car and which will save having my ear or leg cut off when I'm 40 :)

Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ha ha. Mobiles and cancer. Next thing you 'll be saying is that smoking is bad for us or that other stuff, they had at school that sat ontop a bunson burner is dangerous. Look just trust the telco's. Their sponsored research shows no problems whatsoever.

I prefer to not hold a mobile to my head for any length of time. My head does get hot. I use an old fashioned handset like the old phones with a curly cord that plugs into the iPhone if I need to use it longer than half a minute.

I carry my phone in my handbag and I bought a little sticky thing that apparently redirects or stops the radiation. If it doesn't work I've lost nothing.

My later mother was an early adopter of a mobile being a real estate agent. Who knows if that had anything to do with the brain tumour that killed her. I'm not prepared to take the risk though.

I'm ridiculed for it by some people, but that's okay.

I've read and seen photos where a young lady tucked her phone into her bra often and the cancer was pretty much in the shape of a phone. But so many men and women carry them all day in their pockets that I would guess there would be a huge increase in cancers where the phones sit in trouser pockets. Maybe that is coming...

Maybe it is like smokers who never get lung cancer, and non-smokers who do...

I know that when I do have my phone in my pants pocket at work because I'm expecting an important call, my leg gets hot. Is that because the glass screen or back of the phone is "hot" or because anything large and plastic or glass in my pocket would make my leg sweat...

No one seems to have proven or disproven it entirely, but you hear so many stories. A family member of mine had an infection in their leg (put them in hospital for a couple months, no doctor knew what it was) right where he has kept 2 phones in his pocket for years. You also hear stories such as wylie's above.

I'm not usually one to buy into doom and gloom theories but on this occasion I'd rather spend a few hundred dollars to be on the safe side. However it doesn't appear as if a product exists which properly addresses this?

Also, apparently earphones still transmit radiation, as do wireless bluetooth earpieces.

I'll do a bit more research..

Check Dr Mercola site. I bought a wire-less ear piece that works on air pressure (or something like that). No way would I ever put one of those bluetooth ear things on the side of my head :eek:.

I will add that cordless phones give off similar radiation.

I am sensitive to a lot of things like mobile phones near my ear, cordless phones, wi-fi bases, radar installations, on lookouts with lots of discs I get the shakes from the various beams.

I know a lady who used to use her cordless phone a lot, brain cancer in her favourite ear :(

Not to say everyone will get ill, not to say don't use them but I am convinced they do effect our bodies.

Maybe it is like smokers who never get lung cancer, and non-smokers who do...
I think you're right.. Unfortunately some people (due to genetics) are a lot more susceptible to getting certain types of cancers.

I get a mild ache around my ear/head after a couple minutes on the mobile.. I swap ears and it starts again. I know other people could be on the mobile all day and not feel a thing?

The quality of the earphones and mike that came with my iPhone is fantastic! I just wish I'd remember to carry it with me all the time..

I even heard that riding a motorbike can give a person testicular cancer due to sitting over the battery! We are not safe anywhere!

Might have to wrap myself in cotton wool and start living in my wardrobe (I'm pretty sure 400w lights are safe)

I'm just wondering if there is a product, either wireless or wired, which reduces radiation and is good quality? I don't mind paying a couple hundred $$ for a good product that I can use around the office and in the car and which will save having my ear or leg cut off when I'm 40 :)

Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated.

I just go to loudspeaker - but I have found many modern phones very lacking in volume. Hence my preference for good old fashioned Nokia. Good mic pick up and great speakers.

The Y-man

It looks as though bluetooth wireless headsets, wired earphones all have the same issue/effect as they all use radiation in one form or another.

A bit of research reveals that the only "solution" are earphones that don't have wires in them - rather they use an air tube to transmit the sound from the base of it to your ear - such as the ones in the link below. They apparently reduce radiation by up to 98%.

http://www.emfstore.net/Radiation-free-headset-s/1829.htm

These are very similar to the ones my boss bought but they only had one earphone and were very faint. Looks like a similar pair with better sound quality/volume would be a good investment for someone on the phone a lot...

How about 2 paper cups attached to a long piece of string. Zero radiation unless you use it outside and cop a dose of UV.

When I am in the office, I divert my mobile to my landline so I can work with calls more effectively.

When I am in the car its on handsfree

When I am out and about I dont talk very long

A bit of research reveals that the only "solution" are earphones that don't have wires in them - rather they use an air tube to transmit the sound from the base of it to your ear - such as the ones in the link below. They apparently reduce radiation by up to 98%.

http://www.emfstore.net/Radiation-free-headset-s/1829.htm

These are very similar to the ones my boss bought but they only had one earphone and were very faint. Looks like a similar pair with better sound quality/volume would be a good investment for someone on the phone a lot...

The Mercola ones use this air tube. I have a set here, but tend to use the plug in old style handset. I might give the Mercola set a try and report back.

Back