Money Making Idea - Selling Nuts at work

Maybe your time should be spent solving problems that benefit your employer since they are paying you.
Enjoy your taxpayer funded holiday.

I do spend a lot of time solving problems at work. I have come up with good ideas over the years that has benefited the business unit. Actually even though I did turn down the team leader role, in the latest minutes of the change management meeting, management said that they are enthusiastic about involving team members in management meetings so as to develop the skills of employees.

They realise that I dont want the responsibility/the stress of being team leader but can see i have a lot to offer them and are involving me. I'm happy in my job now. I am positive and now feel i am getting the respect. I'll be soon getting a higher pay after I have completed a certificate. Perhaps in the future I'll be able to handle the role of team leader, i dunno. But at the moment my health is the most important thing. I need to be mentally and physically healthy.

Edited to say - I have been attending a number of self development courses. I have become a more positive person. The courses have helped in my relationships (personal and work) my mindset etc. Have had a huge impact in just a few months.

Last edited:
What about some type of vending machine. You would be responsible for it and keep the earnings. I have no idea how they work to rent / lease but perhaps that would get you around some of the regulations.

We have a fridge too but the social club use it to sell drinks. They also bought a coffee machine and are making money out of that too.

Maybe you can run your nuts idea as part of the social club? It will be less likely to be questioned in terms of policies, and while you may not make money directly, the social club will benefit, and you may learn some new skills or it may open new opportunities and ideas for you.

The Y-man

Selling for profit probably wouldn't go down too well with most people at my workplace, when there are people bringing things in for free, selling things wholesale and not for profit (seasonal produce), selling for charity, as well as collecting bottles/cans and running raffles for social reasons.

If your workplace is like mine, you may be viewed as non contributor and people take offence.

Just something you may want to consider.

I like the idea of vending machines if your workplace doesn't have any. People would probably consider this more of a 'legitimate' business.

Hey AP Keaton.

Hows this - Ill do it for you (the selling bit) and we will go halvies. You have to do all thew work though. ill be the outsider who takes the grief (or less grief) as the case may be.

That way no conflict and your work colleagues will never know.

If anyone else wants me to front for them at work just give me a hoy!

Why dont you put a vending machine in your workplaces??

Saves your time and effort, personally i think spending all your lunchtime trying to earn $20 if your lucky is too much hard work and the hassle youd have with the employees???

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not fundraising, you're trying to make a personal gain from other staff members.

What about something like mentoring after hours? (just an example, you might not be ready for that yet :confused: )

You could possibly be allowed to advertise this in all the tearooms and noticeboards - again obtain permission from HR before doing so.

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole in the public service. If you were in private enterprise yeah maybe, but not the public service. At worst you could get sacked or sued if you serve up a batch of bad nuts and for what gain?

I used to be in the PS and heaps of people brought in fundraisers, free fruit from their trees and the drinks/icecreams/chocolate fridge was always stocked but as other people have said, that was run by the social club and the pittance of money raised went into various activities for staff.

Agree with the above.

Work is for work.

Investments are for when not at work.

Both are safer that way.

Put your worries in watertight compartments (Dale Carnegie: 'How to stop worrying and start living') so nothing can sink your ship.

Have a read of this months API.

They discuss vending machines.

I agree with some of the rest of the guys here for Vending Machines. (Obviously more outlay, but is an anvestment.)

This would be the way I would go. No one would know I own / lease it and I would refill after work. (My lunch can then be used for ..........more bloody work..... Don't get much of a break in construction) Obviously more outlay with this idea, but could turn into cashflow + investment if demand is there.

Also in private not public sector work.

Wouldn't know about legalities.

Cheers,

F

Very enterprising idea APK. Two potential hurdles come to
mind:

1) People may not go for (or worse, even resent) it because it's profit going to you as opposed to the usual charity/social club/kids drive etc. But hopefully enough people still will to make it profitable for you.

2) This may be a more personal thing for me, but though I like the idea - I wouldn't be buying a product (in this case nuts) that has been bought in bulk, opened, touched (by bare hands for all I know) and placed into smaller individual bags. A potential solution to this problem would be to find a wholesaler that sells in small individual bags, for example check out Cash & Carry - they may have something. I get individually wrapped Tim Tam's from them for my business premises.

There are 6 floors in our building.

....or put all that investment verve to work, by assembling a syndicate and buy the building.

Then you can forget work, forget the nuts, take a real long lunch break and best of all, make your boss your Tenant. :)

Then of course you can take the APS, the PSA, the FMA and the CPG and throw them all straight in the bin.

We used to have 2 when I was in the PS at the airport, run by the social club. No one ever complained and the bosses had the keys. If chips, drink or money didn't work you saw them and they fixed it straight away. It all worked great.
Not sure how much money it made, would have been alot, but the club put on things each year so everyone was happy. If the figures work out maybe you could contribute 10% to yours to keep ppl on side.

hmmm been thinking about it after reading all the posts. everybody bought up good points. i think i agree... i think its gonna be to much hassle and effort!

i'll concentrate on working towards the reclass to the level 3 salary range of $55 K - $60 K. At the moment i'm a level 2 - I earn $50 K pa.

Gotta love the public service pay rates. I've just had caused to visit the Centerlink site, and they've increased all the pension rates and income thresholds (but none of the allowance ones, which still ping you if you make more than $31 a week before tax) Your pay is less than I'd get if I ditched the other half and went on the single parent pension :eek:

....or put all that investment verve to work, by assembling a syndicate and buy the building.

Then you can forget work, forget the nuts, take a real long lunch break and best of all, make your boss your Tenant. :)

Then of course you can take the APS, the PSA, the FMA and the CPG and throw them all straight in the bin.

lol good insight as always.

Kim - for me this seems like too much effort for minimal gain. Look at moving towards Dazz's idea above or do something small scale (vending machines were mentioned) outside of work. Or even a higher paying job.

hmmm been thinking about it after reading all the posts. everybody bought up good points. i think i agree... i think its gonna be to much hassle and effort!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work."

Thomas Edison

Cheers

Mick

Back