Montmorency

Can't even pronounce it properly, but guys and gals, whats the catch? I see this area (and pretty much all of NE Melb) with big parcels of land. Whats the catch or things I should look out for with Montmorency?

We ditched our plans for Clayton/Chadstone/Wheelers Hill/Forest Hill at various stages for the past 9-12 months, the numbers just didn't jusitify/seem right. Just as a comparison, we went to a few Chadstone auctions - blocks averaged 600m2 or a shade below that that went for mid 700s, Clayton with all similar amenities considered with the Chadstone ones went for high 600s to low 700s.

Montmorency seems attractive now in comparison whilst doing some due diligence, seems more bang for buck/better value type purchase. Bigger blocks, same distance to CBD as Clayton, has decent public schools, price similar/bit cheaper than Clayton, but whats the catch?

Thanks.

I don't think there is a catch :) It is a lovely leafy suburb, has train station, good option of public & private schools not too far, not too far from Western Ring Rd (aka as 'carpark' at times) Latrobe Uni and lots of Tafe colleges within easy commute, big hospital in Heidelberg, has a nice 'village' feel about it, not a shopping metropolis by any stretch but has all you need with big shopping centres not too far, ticks a lot of boxes :)

Montmorency has always had a reputation for being rough, which some parts are.

Justified? yes it is

but things are changing, gentrification is occuring but its not spreading like wildfire,

development sites are getting popular from the spill over effect from areas like Thomastown etc.

Agree with Patsy.
Lived there for a few year, great place.

In answer to the "Why not a Clayton of the north"

1. No (I think) express trains
2. No uni next door (La Trobe is a decent hike away)
3. No Hospital (like the Monash MC)
4. No major provision for Asian community (range of eateries, groceries)

The Y-man

Good place to live

Montmorency is a great place to live. Unfortunately the secret appears to be out and the prices are going up by the week.

It is certainly not a rough area, I have lived in the area for over 40 years and don't remember it ever being classified as such.

We now have Water Marc at Greensborough, which is a great gym with plenty of water facilities and classes, pilates, etc. As a senior over 60 I pay a grand total of $12 a week to use all the facilities and go to all the classes. Amazing value

Greensborough Shopping Centre is currently being further developed.

The train is single line from Greensborough to Hurstbridge. This is supposedly being duplicated.

Lower Plenty PS was the top Primary school last year. It is small.

Montmorency PS is currently being rebuilt

We have the Austin Hospital/Mercy Maternity and the Olivia Newton Centre at Heidelberg.

Warringal Private Hospital is at Heidelberg and North Park Private Hospital is at Bundoora.

We just need the East-West Link to get across suburbs :)

Chris

Montmorency is a great place to live. Unfortunately the secret appears to be out and the prices are going up by the week.

It is certainly not a rough area, I have lived in the area for over 40 years and don't remember it ever being classified as such.

We now have Water Marc at Greensborough, which is a great gym with plenty of water facilities and classes, pilates, etc. As a senior over 60 I pay a grand total of $12 a week to use all the facilities and go to all the classes. Amazing value

Greensborough Shopping Centre is currently being further developed.

The train is single line from Greensborough to Hurstbridge. This is supposedly being duplicated.

Lower Plenty PS was the top Primary school last year. It is small.

Montmorency PS is currently being rebuilt

We have the Austin Hospital/Mercy Maternity and the Olivia Newton Centre at Heidelberg.

Warringal Private Hospital is at Heidelberg and North Park Private Hospital is at Bundoora.

We just need the East-West Link to get across suburbs :)

Chris

Thanks Chris for your input!

Some of the properties being sold on ksou seem like a steal compared to suburbs equal distant to the CBD.

Many of the houses seem to be built in the late 70s/80s on huge blocks (750m2+) and some going for the $700K mark...they still sound like a steal at today's prices...

Heck, some of the old 80s houses seem to have a better layout/quality than those brand new homes we see slapped on today.

Back