more gladstone questions

HI guys,

I have just joined this forum. Ponts to note are that none of the majors have made an FID in Gladstone yet but when they do it will probably be too late. They are still very active and tenders have just gone out for permanent accommodation on curtis island for APLNG, so the LNG projects are still progressing. Investors are everywhere in the market at the moment. Suburbs to avoid are definitely South Gladstone and Toolooa, Clinton close to the airport also Barney Point unless it is on the beach (8 houses) or high density. Definitely agree with Kin Kora, Telina, parts of West Gladstone and inner city. Anywhere high density is a goer as well. Lots of small unit developments on the drawing board (6 - 8 units) although financing is difficult - most experienced developers with cash-flow aren't having too many problems in Gladstone for the smaller developments.
Note that Gladstone is not a "mining" town - it is a mineral processing and export port - so probably better to compare with somewhere like Newcastle than Port hedland/Karratha/ etc..
Cheers

what Impact?

how about the impact on bundaberg?

Bundy is 2 hours drive from Gladstone.
I live in Bundy and watch the RE market. I have lived in both places.
Prices are still very low here, I really don't think what happens in Glady has anything to do with what is happening in Bundy... But someone more knowledgeable then I might have a different opinion.

interesting. If glady were to really take off i would expect some contagion on bundy... you couldn't have prices at say double that of a 2 hour drive away?

and yes bundy does seem particularly cheap given its attributes

May I ask why they are a great tenant? I'm thinking seedy thoughts. lol

i guess u could go and collect the 'rent' in person, but i don't think that would float my sisters boat not to mention the 0000's km's distance..

Great because the keeps place clean and always pays

Just to give people a purely anecdotal tale of rentals in Gladstone, my 4 bed Queenslander came on to the rental market on Monday and was snapped up in 4 days.

3 applications, 6 viewings and then gone.

Vacancy rate has tightened significantly and all applicants tried for a minimum of 12 months lease.

I don't see any need to restrict yourself by looking for a corporate/mining lease as the open market will provide the most competitive environment for a property to achieve maximum market rent.

Cheers

Rooster

Just to give people a purely anecdotal tale of rentals in Gladstone, my 4 bed Queenslander came on to the rental market on Monday and was snapped up in 4 days.

3 applications, 6 viewings and then gone.

Vacancy rate has tightened significantly and all applicants tried for a minimum of 12 months lease.

I don't see any need to restrict yourself by looking for a corporate/mining lease as the open market will provide the most competitive environment for a property to achieve maximum market rent.

Cheers

Rooster

Thanks for sharing.

Which suburb and what rental return?

HI guys,

Suburbs to avoid are definitely South Gladstone and Toolooa, Clinton close to the airport also Barney Point unless it is on the beach (8 houses) or high density. Definitely agree with Kin Kora, Telina, parts of West Gladstone and inner city. Anywhere high density is a goer as well.
Cheers

Can someone explain why Toolooa is a suburb to avoid especially since its just 1 - 1.5 kms apart from Telina. Also i have heard there are new houses being built in toolooa . There has been a lot of activity in the suburb in the last 6-8 months but nothing on RE website. but onthehouse shows there have been 18 property sales in the suburb since SEP 2009 with avg 3 bed 1 bath selling between 300K - 350K.

Does anyone know whats the median rent there?

Thanks
Iron

Last edited:
I think there are quite a few dept of housing properties in the suburb. It has a lower socioeconomic demographic. In my Prop. Mgmt days in Gladstone it was difficult to lease properties in the area at times. There was the odd new house but tenants who moved into them generally moved out to another suburb after one lease term.

I think there are quite a few dept of housing properties in the suburb. It has a lower socioeconomic demographic. In my Prop. Mgmt days in Gladstone it was difficult to lease properties in the area at times. There was the odd new house but tenants who moved into them generally moved out to another suburb after one lease term.

Hmm that explains it. how about building a block of units there and selling them to the Department of housing. The attrocious prices these govt depts pay nowadays i may end up with my retirement funded :D

There is definitely a different demographic in Toolooa, but that said, it is not an area to "avoid".

It's difficulty in finding tenants during less prosperous times can also be put down to the fact it is a lot further away from the centre of town, its an older area and it is tucked into a pocket that borders some industrial and commercial properties.

Cheers

Rooster

Can someone explain why Toolooa is a suburb to avoid especially since its just 1 - 1.5 kms apart from Telina. Also i have heard there are new houses being built in toolooa . There has been a lot of activity in the suburb in the last 6-8 months but nothing on RE website. but onthehouse shows there have been 18 property sales in the suburb since SEP 2009 with avg 3 bed 1 bath selling between 300K - 350K.

Does anyone know whats the median rent there?

Thanks
Iron

Toolooa has had a number of new houses built in the area over the past 2 years. Mainly in Flounder street as some blocks were developed and sold at reasonably low prices.

The houses that have been built on these blocks are pretty standard 3x1's and this would have contributed to the rise in median price for the suburb. Stats can always be skewed when new builds are added into the equation and sold close to construction being completed.

Cheers

Rooster

The suburb was South Gladstone. $320 / week.

Cheers

Rooster

Thats encouraging thanks Rooster. I have a 3 bed modernized and fully furnished (down to cutlery and everything else you could imagine) house in South Gladstone currently rented at $360 per week, which the current tenants will move out of soon when their work contract finishes. Pre-GFC it was renting at $400 per week apparently.

what a joke, one minute the companies are striking a deal with the PM, next day (literally) the PM is sacked. This ludicrous tax and it's mismanaged implementation and an outrageous dismissal of the PM... we are a laughing stock. i wonder what this weeks circus act will be?

Areas around the Rossella street in West Gladstone.

Hi Folks,

I am considering buying a property near the intersection of Rossella street and Murray street in West Gladstone. To be precise I have given below the link to the concerned property

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-gladstone-106504476

I am interested in hearing the views of the locals about this precinct.

This area technically falls in West Gladstone and is zoned high density by the Gladstone council. I am considering building few units down the track, on the site I am buying. At present it has a small three bedder old fibro home.

This area is very near to the main street (about 1.3 Km), I didn't see any big industry but it has some commercial establishments (big industrial/engineering suppliers, building material suppliers, automotive establishments) within about 400m of the street. Gladstone hospital is about 400 metres on the other side of the street. On the whole the area seems totally residential. When I was there, I didn't find it crowded or didn't find too much vehicular traffic in the area.

Please provide your views about the area and whether my reading of the area is Okay or not.

This area is about 450 m from the river, can there be any issues with the "flies", this much away from the water.

All your views will be highly appreciated.

sanjeev

Back