More "me time". I've changed my plan

Ah but you're thinking of a traditional retirement when you're aged in your 50's and 60's with grandkids and grey hair. Agree that's what most people do because they haven't thought outside the square. Or maybe they're happy being sheep :p

What I'm proposing is "retiring" in your 30's and 40's and living comfortably.

I'm 41 - If I retired tomorrow I would feel exactly the same as Wylie. My family is important and I wouldnt move somewhere just because it was cheaper.

It's not about being a sheep - perhaps most people think their family comes first.

Everyone is different - I hope you enjoy endless drinks at the beach in Bali. Personally this doesnt appeal to me in any way shape or form.

I'm 41 - If I retired tomorrow I would feel exactly the same as Wylie. My family is important and I wouldnt move somewhere just because it was cheaper.

It's not about being a sheep - perhaps most people think their family comes first.

Everyone is different - I hope you enjoy endless drinks at the beach in Bali. Personally this doesnt appeal to me in any way shape or form.

Agree, although I could live in some places -not Asia- for a couple of months at a time, every couple of years. That's more than enough for me.

I have the good fortune of having relies that i stay in contact with in 4 different European countries (Greece, Macedonia, Italy, France) so look forward to some stretches in those places in retirement, just as many of my relatives here do now.

Apart from that it's short holidays for me, with the rest of the time spent with family and friends.

I wonder if the Asian attraction is more about women, diving and bars, things that either appeal to you or don't??

Baaa...

Thanks for all the positive supportive replies! :)

It's good to know what you want in life isnt it, and what the most important thing is. In the mean time to prevent another burnout I'm going to have to really assess/balance my after work activities & also ensure I go to bed at a decent hour most of the time. The last two nights I caught up on a lot of sleep. I'm feeling more normal now. :)

Good to have an end goal but how will you achieve it?
I totally get the desire to cut back on things with the reward of getting off the roller coaster earlier I'm just worried that it might not be possible for you unless you do some serious decision making now to set yourself up for then. 15 years is not a lot of time to generate that income.

Certainly it's easier to get to $60k instead of $75 but have you considered that if you go part time at 55 then you Superannuation will miss out on 5 years of full-time income contributions.

How much super will you have - and at what age will you be able to access it?
How will you support yourself between 55 and xx when Pension kicks in?
How much rent etc can you generate in the next 15 years

Hi, yep I know. First appointment is with my accountant, then I have some more appointments this year to work out a plan. :D

You're lucky all your family live in nearby suburbs. My family come first but it's impossible to live in Europe, Asia and Australia simultaneously so I can be near them.

Sitting on a beach reading books and drinking beer is probably fun for awhile but gets old fast. I fill my time learning languages, scuba diving, helping the infirm, volunteer English teacher, playing chess, cooking, going to the gym, writing books, motorbike rides, learning guitar, creating short movies and providing aid after natural disasters occur. We're currently rebuilding a house which was destroyed in an earthquake for an elderly woman with no family.

You're lucky all your family live in nearby suburbs.

Actually we have few extended family close by.

It is my immediate family (ie 19yo son) that would influence my decision not to move to another country....and no, he wouldn't come. He may choose to move to another country himself, who knows, but I wouldnt leave him here with no family.

$75k will have you living really well once you have no mortgage and don't run a car every day and buy lunches n stuff

We only need $40k between us for a comfortable retirement for now. Which is pretty easy and we just travel cheaply and work a bit when we're home again. Gets boring doing nothing. Props still doibg their thng for later on and we use work income to "seni retire" cause we know we don't need to work anymore. We could all die today so important to do things and experience the joys of life. Why invest otherwise?

Love your posts Dex. You think well and are a total individual. I like to do my own thinking too and am skeptical about most things that are a given to most others.

Back