More space from a granny flat.

Has anybody thought about ways to make the most of the 60sqm allowed.
I guess a nice private outdoor space well landscaped may help.
What about building a pergola(after building and occupancy)
Then maybe enclosing it.
Maybe a functional " carport" next to it.
Not sure of the rules but are double garages allowed ??
Maybe a shade sail.

I'm sure you get the idea.
Has anyone done anything to make their flat standout and achieve higher rent ?

Mmm.no responses.

I have a 60 sqm single bed granny flat. It has good proportions but I feel a two bedder would feel a bit squeeze. This got me thinking about how to make the most of the space.

I believe you can build a 12 sqm pergola under the new rules. Closing it in after the build may add to internal space.
Build a detached freestanding pergola " for the main house"
And then get creative after occupied. Walking the line I know but surely people have some creative ideas.
High ceilings would help.

Mmm.no responses.

We are all stainless citizens here sir. How dare you allude at stretching the bounds of our wonderful planning policy approval authorities! :mad::D

Actually, I will ask, if you have enough space in the yard to stretch a GF to extra rooms why not just do a normal (over 60sqm) dual occ and reap the financial rewards of creating a second titled (strata) property?

We are all stainless citizens here sir. How dare you allude at stretching the bounds of our wonderful planning policy approval authorities! :mad::D

Actually, I will ask, if you have enough space in the yard to stretch a GF to extra rooms why not just do a normal (over 60sqm) dual occ and reap the financial rewards of creating a second titled (strata) property?

Yes true. Actually I'm very happy with my flat. No need to make changes there.
And my other property nearby is about to benefit from a rezoning. Making what you mention above possible.

Only a 550 sqm block so I have to decide if a granny flat or larger town house is the best option.

My granny flat ideas above were more of a wandering mind kind of thing.

Another though. Laundry services in the garage. That will creatmore room.
Non habitable roof storage could be good also.

I thought that the GF had to have its own laundry?

You could build an A frame GF to achieve the attic idea. Get out the ladder after approval. ;) We once lived in a metal converted double garage and built a mezzanine type floor for our sleeping area.

Can anyone tell me about modifying things; if you have a mezzanine/attic level that is technically illegal (not approved) what happens if the tenant decides to sue you for falling down the stairs or something like that?

I'm no lawyer, but my guess is that you would be in trouble unless, perhaps, it was constructed according in full compliance with BCA 2010. There are so many little grey areas where this can happen. Liability is a tricky little subject where not many situations are black and white. The extreme cases like thieves who can sue you if they are injured while ripping off your property. :(

I thought that the GF had to have its own laundry?

You could build an A frame GF to achieve the attic idea. Get out the ladder after approval. ;) We once lived in a metal converted double garage and built a mezzanine type floor for our sleeping area.

I guess you could have water/waste connections both in the flat and garage. Where you eventually put the washer.. Who knows !!!!
A frame style roof would be good.
I know if you keep the height under a certain level it is not considered habitable. Still fine for storage etc.

I know if you keep the height under a certain level it is not considered habitable. Still fine for storage etc.

Yeah, 2.4m, but not sure how they get some of those doll house kit homes through with attics for sleeping areas? Maybe they don't comply?

Perhaps a little different in NSW but here's what I hope to do on the Sunshine Coast.

Going to build a 7x7m shed in the back yard with a shower and toilet in it so I can clean up before going in the house, maybe the washing machine too.

Sometime later I plan to build a 60m2 granny flat next to it. Under the same roof of the granny flat but in addition to the 60m2 I plan to build a motorcycle/boat storage area that will be about 6x5 and be open ended like an alfresco area for easy access as the 60m2 excludes areas for vecihle storage. Well that's the plan.... ;)

Back