Most Aussies want to quit their jobs.

An intresting news article reg dissatisfaction of jobs, I guess those days well and truly gone when people spend more than 30, 40 years in one job.
I have been working in my current job for just over 10 years and surprisingly still satisfied :), have you considered changing your job lately?
Are You Satisfied With Your Job?
And off course if you are self employed then you are a winner :eek:

Article quotes " 80 per cent of workers considering changing jobs during the past 12 months.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...-quit-their-jobs/story-e6frf7l6-1226022463428

saw this on news.com.au

crazy stuff - would be interested to see the demographic report of the survey though. if it's all GenY's then it makes complete sense.

Love my job, sick of my co-workers - or more specifically fighting the boys club and alcoholism that is accepted where I work (especially within my department).

I've just started my 5th professional job (since finishing undergrad uni) in 12 years. I have moved every few years to climb the ladder. My working income is 7.5 times my graduate salary. If I'd stayed with the first company, it would be nothing like that amount.

Why wouldn't you move? In my last role it was well known that to get a decent increase you had to leave then come back.

In terms of satisfaction, I have loved every role except one (my second job where I only stayed 15 months). My current job is great.

why did i move - and still move within my self-employment?

boredom. i am a genX, but a personality type A (look it up ;)).

i found the first 2 years at any job were fabulous as i undertook a massive learning curve for my current role - but once settled in, and the learning tapered off, the boredom soon set in - so i would move. sometimes within the same company, if it were large enough, or i would look elsewhere.

I'm at the tail end of the Baby Boomers.

I hate change, so I worked at a factory out of school (machine operator) for 8 years, quit for 13 years to care for my 3 kids, then returned to the same factory for another 12 years (machine operator)
Quit employed work last year for good.

I generally liked my job, but management constantly changed, and not always for the better.

Well it's funny . Growing up in Melbourne it seemed most people moaned about their job and wanted a change .

Dunno if this is anything new to be honest .

Me I'm not that happy with stuff I'm up to but at the moment it's the best I can do with the area I live in. It's a pretty hard spot to get work happening if your the new kid on the block . Only been here 4 yrs.
My reno's were paying my way for quite awhile and were extremely satisfying but I decided to keep the last one so that money's now tied up and then the next deal didn't go through which would have been major CP also so between the two, I've had to get back out and amongst it again just for now at least . Not too impressed !

But there's a but , if we get the next place we're hopefully buying right now , plans will be back on track , I can finish off that other one I've decided to keep and way CP so then, in around two yrs or so , I'll be back on track and prettywell back to doing whatever I want - just the way I like it .

Cheers

I find it funny that we look at Gen Y and expect them to be the highest demographic.

All my life, I’ve heard people whinging about their jobs., whilst I was in primary / highs school and since joining the fulltime workforce end of 1988. Sort of like complaining about our politicians.

The %age hardly surprised me at all.

Love my job, sick of my co-workers - or more specifically fighting the boys club and alcoholism that is accepted where I work (especially within my department).

When I transferred into a almost all male area 17 years ago I was warned I would never last.

It certainly was a different culture, but seriously I had no problems as I did my job and was respected for it (I think this is where they thought I'd fail). I also think it appeared more like a boys club than it actually was.

Most turned out to be really great guys and supported me heaps in those early days, once they got to know me.

Two of those guys are now good friends outside of work - they go to the footy with my husband and I and we attend each others family functions. We've even gone away together.

Have I thought about changing jobs? Not in the last 17 years :eek:.

I'd say it's not so much they want to quit their job, as they probably like the comraderie and the salary and the perks. What they want to quit is having someone in the organisation with power over them telling them what to do.

Over the years this aspect has been toned down within white collar jobs from "Get that report on my desk pronto" to "would it be too much trouble if you could provide me with something via email before close of business, only if it doesn't interfere with your work/life balance."

In blue collar jobs it's gone from "just shut up and do exactly what you're told before I come over there and bash you" to "after our stepback 5x5 meeting, if it's not too much trouble, and after your smoko break, could you please try and get that pallet of material over to there without straining your back and having an LTI"

I used to hear it all the time in the workplace, which for me straddled both blue and white collar. In the end when I left, it was getting too wierd. Bosses stripped of any real authority, having to tip-toe around poncy workers who were too busy listening to ipods and couldn't string a sentence together without dropping 5 or 6 "likes" into it, to the point of making it incomprehensible. For some reason they thought they could carry on like they did back in Uni and school.

The underlying reason why everyone was quitting in our industry was that Mummy & Daddy had set up a trust fund for all the little darlings, and before sending them off from Mum's hotel they were told "Now if any of those big bad nasty men give you any grief or yell at you, well you just run on back here, there'll always be a bed here for you darling. Don't put up with any nonsense - you tell them Mum said so." It didn't help that they were softer than marshmallows and had never done a hard days work in their life, had never stood up for longer than 2 hours, had never taken an order in their life, and had no practical skills whatsoever.

Over the years this aspect has been toned down within white collar jobs from "Get that report on my desk pronto" to "would it be too much trouble if you could provide me with something via email before close of business, only if it doesn't interfere with your work/life balance."

In blue collar jobs it's gone from "just shut up and do exactly what you're told before I come over there and bash you" to "after our stepback 5x5 meeting, if it's not too much trouble, and after your smoko break, could you please try and get that pallet of material over to there without straining your back and having an LTI"

I used to hear it all the time in the workplace, which for me straddled both blue and white collar. In the end when I left, it was getting too wierd. Bosses stripped of any real authority, having to tip-toe around poncy workers who were too busy listening to ipods and couldn't string a sentence together without dropping 5 or 6 "likes" into it, to the point of making it incomprehensible. For some reason they thought they could carry on like they did back in Uni and school.

The underlying reason why everyone was quitting in our industry was that Mummy & Daddy had set up a trust fund for all the little darlings, and before sending them off from Mum's hotel they were told "Now if any of those big bad nasty men give you any grief or yell at you, well you just run on back here, there'll always be a bed here for you darling. Don't put up with any nonsense - you tell them Mum said so." It didn't help that they were softer than marshmallows and had never done a hard days work in their life, had never stood up for longer than 2 hours, had never taken an order in their life, and had no practical skills whatsoever.

That's one of the best rants I've read for a while.

Not sure how accurate it is, but it's damn entertaining.

Not sure how accurate it is

It's totally inaccurate. I just make this **** up as I go along.

I've never actually had a job and never worked a day in my life. I'm actually an 86 yo. great grandmother from Fitzroy with one foot in the grave and another by the fireside to balance it up.

It's because people aren't satisfied. The new education system teaches them that the world is their oyster. They're brought up to believe they can do anything - such as chill and retire at 30 with millions of $$$.

But when they go into the work force, they realise that they are in fact the oyster (the one stepped on by your bosses and squished into oblivion) or the cr@p that oysters regurgitate (that green fungal stuff).

I think to a degree it is the education system.

Another factor has to be the constant bombardment of lots of work, skills shortage etc.

People just don't care like they used to because their is a perception that it is very easy to get another job.

I can remember 10 -15years ago when fellow young engineers got the bullet they would potentially be in tears etc because they cared about their jobs and really made an effort.

Now days they are leaving in droves shopping around for the next gig and hear stories about the 200k etc they can get somewhere else which totally changes the dynamic of employer and employee. I actually suspect people are happier if they are not taking their employment for granted.

They'll be quietly disastified (ie slowly hack away at a boring job, but with no real options). People are now voicing their dissatisfaction because, as you say, they have options.

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them...................... Henry David Thoreau

From this and other older things I gather the majority of people dont like to work in a job no more is because they have never liked it,...............just a lot more vocal about it now.

To assess if you REALLY like what you do on a daily basis and its " your calling" try this one.............

If your income was replaced tommorow by investments, business or whatever and indexed for inflation, would you go back to work for free.

Makes for some interesting responses.

ta
rolf

Back