Most Aussies want to quit their jobs.

In year 10 (16yo) you’re supposed to choose your pre-requisites for the next 2 years that will get into the uni course you want to do for the next 3-5 years that will get you into a job you want to do for the next 40 years... I think the system is flawed. When I was 16 I had NFI what I wanted to do.

PS. I’m a genY and I like totes hate my job hey

Our youngest child (19) is extremely smart. ( he was tested)
He finished school last year and went to work at a restaurant as a short order cook. Minimum wage and not full time hours.
He asked us last week what are his options for continuing education. He didn't do his potential in school, wouldn't pass in homework etc so his grades are just barely passing. He has closed the door on academic courses, without going back and upgrading.
We told him trade courses are his next option, which are probably more valuable anyways..he just needs to pick one.
Again, he also has no idea what he wants to do. He just knows working where he is now, is not much of an option.
If he decides to return to Australia, having a trade would be benficial.

He finished school last year and went to work at a restaurant as a short order cook. Minimum wage and not full time hours.
He asked us last week what are his options for continuing education. He didn't do his potential in school, wouldn't pass in homework etc so his grades are just barely passing. He has closed the door on academic courses, without going back and upgrading.
We told him trade courses are his next option, which are probably more valuable anyways..he just needs to pick one.
Again, he also has no idea what he wants to do. He just knows working where he is now, is not much of an option.

Being naturally smart is one thing; being committed and focused is another. It’s like sports stars that have the talent but no commitment to the team or discipline to stick to training schedules, anyway what I’m trying to say is that natural talent will only take you so far. I’m not sure what your post is about actually... do you agree that deciding what you want to do for the rest of your life at 16 is a little ‘hectic’?

Also I don’t think the academic path is closed to your son. He can go in as mature age student, or do one of those paid courses for a year that guarantee 2nd year uni entry if you pass. If he wants to go white collar that is, coz in Australia the average tradie makes more than an average CPA accountant.

I think if you have found your life's passion, it doesn't matter what your job is. Your passion will always be utmost in your mind & your job just one of the vehicles to support your passion.

Other posters are right though about committing to a career choice at 16yo...ridiculous ...for most as we transform so much as individuals throughout our 20's, 30's and beyond, how can something that interested us at age 16 still be an interest unless we're incredibly lucky?

I'm in my late 30's, thought I'd found a few passions along the way but they were merely passing fads. I'm only discovering now, apart from property, a 2nd passion which I'm teaching myself from books etc.

A job is what you make it & I'm very fortunate to have one that allows me to work with animals whilst pursuing my real interests.

For me Property Investing and being a landlord is a calling.
I love it.I love having all types of properties.

If I won the lottery, I would indulge myself in having different properties for different people.

I would love to have a house for obese people wanting to lose weight. My stepson was 11 and overweight when he first became part of the family. He grew into his weight, largely because of our family eating habits.He is a tall and fit young 19 year old now. My oldest son's friend was even more obese and he witnessed the transformation. He said to my son he wished he grew up in our family,so he would have lost weight. Meals would be included in the board, and have exercise equipment hooked up to the TV.

I would love to have a property for single parents, with a child carer on site.
It would make it so much easier for them.Not every one works office hours, and can take a child to daycare.

I would love to have a property for single parents who have weekend/visitation with their kids. Families in transition and trying to get on their feet.

A property for people who have no idea how to manage their finances, but want to own a home.People who never grew up with parents or role models
in owning.

I'd own a property that provide free or at least inexpensive pet desexing.Too many animals, with not enough basic care.Maybe hire some vet techs from the local college supervised by a vet.

A hostel like shelter for basic temporary accommodation.Not everyone can afford $70 night motel rooms.

I love this! This is an aspirational attitude!

probably the bloody government's fault for giving tax breaks to rich people & businesses.

This is a common one, and is yer basic resentment/envy/hopelessness feeling etc.

I don't know of anyone who hasn't experienced it at some stage.

It's up to all of us to break free of it and have a crack at creating our own destiny then.

One of my best mates (a Golf Pro at a Club) has hated the proshop work for several years now.

He knows nothing else, and is too afraid (and too financially committed) to risk a move to another industry or job - all by his own admission to me.

He could have easily wandered along, doing what is easy but uninspiring forever, copping a lazy $100k or so per year, but no.

To his credit, he has tried to stay within the profession, and change his role. He has done this quite well over the last few years, and now has a new lease of life with his job in the same profession.

But it hasn't come without a fair bit of hard work and some risk, and going outside the safe little box.

Being naturally smart is one thing; being committed and focused is another. It’s like sports stars that have the talent but no commitment to the team or discipline to stick to training schedules, anyway what I’m trying to say is that natural talent will only take you so far. I’m not sure what your post is about actually... do you agree that deciding what you want to do for the rest of your life at 16 is a little ‘hectic’?

Also I don’t think the academic path is closed to your son. He can go in as mature age student, or do one of those paid courses for a year that guarantee 2nd year uni entry if you pass. If he wants to go white collar that is, coz in Australia the average tradie makes more than an average CPA accountant.

I agree with you.
Being a teenager is hard enough, without needing to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life.
We have suggested looking into apprenticeships, so he can work and get paid at the same time.
I think having a trade is better than any academics.
We have even told him, do whatever you like, give us your excess cash, and we will manage any properties for him..same offer to the older 3 siblings. So far no one has taken us up on the offer.
I think they are waiting for an inheritenace...ha...good luck with that !!!

This is a common one, and is yer basic resentment/envy/hopelessness feeling etc.

I don't know of anyone who hasn't experienced it at some stage.

It's up to all of us to break free of it and have a crack at creating our own destiny then.

One of my best mates (a Golf Pro at a Club) has hated the proshop work for several years now.

He knows nothing else, and is too afraid (and too financially committed) to risk a move to another industry or job - all by his own admission to me.

He could have easily wandered along, doing what is easy but uninspiring forever, copping a lazy $100k or so per year, but no.

To his credit, he has tried to stay within the profession, and change his role. He has done this quite well over the last few years, and now has a new lease of life with his job in the same profession.

But it hasn't come without a fair bit of hard work and some risk, and going outside the safe little box.

Easy trap to fall into - I should know.

We have suggested looking into apprenticeships, so he can work and get paid at the same time.
I think having a trade is better than any academics.

This. If I'd known then what I know now, I would have left school as early as possible and gotten into a trade. I enjoy the work I do, but given the opportunity, I would have rather gotten into a trade.

Having a trade is good but I personally got sick of working selling my time for income trading my manual labour in the heat & cold of outdoors/indoors.

Back then I wasn't aware of investing ones time to create passive income in a comfortable environment.

As already mentioned I think that the greater visibility of the options out there will drive satisfaction down.

How much easier is it now to find out the salaries on offer in other roles using the Internet, rather than have to go out and buy a newspaper.

I have been in full time work now for almost 10yrs and am on my 2nd industry, hopefully to be in the 3rd in the coming months if things pan out.

I am so grateful that I have property on the side to keep my mind at ease that I don't need to keep chasing other roles that pay more and can try and find something that interests me.

A job is just what I do until my master plan of property investment has the momentum to take over my salary.

Yeah a job can be one of two things as far as satisfaction goes I reckon really , the means to an end or the passion itself .
My biggest regret is not following through with my original and very simple 3 house plan in my 20's , no rocket science needed . If I did that instead in the end , I'd have had a really satisfying work life doing something I loved right through and I'd have been set for life very early on and just a Dazz these days - boring rent collector .
Still, easy in Hindsight . Had lots of fun in other stuff and have done ALL , the things I've ever wanted but , if I knew then what I do now, could've still done them all and kept properties on the side.
Owell , working on that one now .

Cheers

I’ve found that, the more unhappy I am in a job, the more I day dream about winning the lotto or investing my way to millions.

And I’ll think you’ll find many people started their investment journey there, looking for a way out of having to work for a living.

Lets face it, if you really loved your job you’d work till you dropped dead.

Recently I haven't bought a lotto ticket in years as I really like my job, but given the choice, I wouldn't turn up tomorrow…..

I’ve found that, the more unhappy I am in a job, the more I day dream about winning the lotto or investing my way to millions.

And I’ll think you’ll find many people started their investment journey there, looking for a way out of having to work for a living.

Lets face it, if you really loved your job you’d work till you dropped dead.

Recently I haven't bought a lotto ticket in years as I really like my job, but given the choice, I wouldn't turn up tomorrow…..

Buying lottery tickets is a funny thing.
Years ago, as much as I wanted to win, I also wanted to "make it" on our own. I didn't want to have anyone say "Yeah, but they won the lottery"
We still occassionaly buy tickets..it's not something we go out of our way for.

I was just explaining to my friend the other day, surviving in a job (be it a trade, a blue collar job, a white collar job) is more about EQ than IQ.

ie it's about whether you have endurance, patience, maturity etc. Being smart is good but at least so far as a job goes, it's not always that important provided you're not stoopid. As you move away from the job, IQ becomes more important and there are sole investors out there who have low EQ but go on to be very successful.

19 years old is still pretty young. You have time to stuff around a couple of years before deciding to get serious. I think education is equally important if you wish to suceed. Having year 12 alone isn't enough to make it nowadays.
Sometimes - having too many options too can confuse a 19 year old.
Myself, i did a few degrees and postgraduate and till today can't figure out what my interest is as it keeps changing.

Back