Most Aussies want to quit their jobs.

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them...................... Henry David Thoreau

From this and other older things I gather the majority of people dont like to work in a job no more is because they have never liked it,...............just a lot more vocal about it now.

To assess if you REALLY like what you do on a daily basis and its " your calling" try this one.............

If your income was replaced tommorow by investments, business or whatever and indexed for inflation, would you go back to work for free.

Makes for some interesting responses.

ta
rolf

No I would not.

With my spare time though I would seek out other things to do which could potentially earn a $ and interact with people / learn etc

Which I feel I would need with the extra spare time I would have

Now days they are leaving in droves shopping around for the next gig and hear stories about the 200k etc they can get somewhere else which totally changes the dynamic of employer and employee. I actually suspect people are happier if they are not taking their employment for granted.

Anyone who takes their employment for granted will find themselves not needed by their employer fairly quickly.

Employers are mostly fairly easy to please;
1. Do the job you are paid for.
2. Try to show some initiative and you might jump to the front of the queue for a promotion and a pay rise.

Don't do either 1 or 2 and you will be left to last on all accounts, but put to first on the redundancy list should it eventuate.

Oh yeah;
3. be punctual, and don't be a clock watcher.

Anyone who has an employee victim mentality might think this is an affront to their rights as a bludger. You would be right.

If your income was replaced tommorow by investments, business or whatever and indexed for inflation, would you go back to work for free.

ta
rolf

Ha! good question.

My previous profession as a golf pro saw me get bitter and twisted - too many members who were tight as fishes' who wouldn't buy at their Golf Club.

Want you to help them out all the time, but buy their gear elsewhere to save $3.

Pathetic.

Not just me by the way - ALL golf clubs.

Me; I buy all my gear off my club pro, and never ask the price. It's what you do. And guess what; he looks after me like you wouldn't believe. Karma.

However; I like the work of working in a Pro Shop. If I was totally not needing the money I would do it for free for a few hours a week.

And then; put more time into helping disadvantaged kids - my "reason d'etre" I believe. I know this is where my retirement hours will be spent.

Seriously on the boys club - have literally been told by males who work with my department that that's what it is, the guys in it have been there 5+ years, and don't take it personally but also don't expect to get anywhere. My manager told me to simply be mediocre and average so that I just fit in. :confused::mad:

Wouldn't mind except for the fact that it blocks any chance I have of promotion, just working out ways to get around it now to bypass them. Will move on once something else comes up - Seek.com.au and efinancecareers are my friends.

Also makes me all the more determined to get there with investing.

Quick question for all - what do you think should be done if there is an employee in a small (15 person) team who is openly looking to leave as soon as they find something else but also very vocal about it?

Can I just add my words of advice as an Employee and an Employer;

You can do the extra yards in your chosen field of employment to make sure your job is not only secured, but longer term guaranteed. Most people don't.

Put up your hand for extra hours, do that extra course, and so on. Be the one who is proactive.

My best advice; think like you are the Boss and work out what he/she wants from you (and more) and do it.

PSML
Anyone who takes their employment for granted will find themselves not needed by their employer fairly quickly.

2. Try to show some initiative and you might jump to the front of the queue for a promotion and a pay rise.

Don't do either 1 or 2 and you will be left to last on all accounts, but put to first on the redundancy list should it eventuate.

Oh yeah;

Anyone who has an employee victim mentality might think this is an affront to their rights as a bludger. You would be right.

PMSL.....ROFL...

Marc...really? (tounge in cheek) do you actualy believe that MOST kids have been brought up with the work ethic that you have?? I have yet to find one of MY kid's age that have.

My kids were brought up in a 55 - 70 hr a week businesss and just knew that "Mum & Dad has to work" ......when they turned old enough to want to earn more pocket money than "the jobs that they had to do" they just DID the job.

"Apparently" (at the time) I was a terrible mother...funny that now my kids are ahead of their class mates.....not always wages..but DEFINATLEY in nett worth.

You can do the extra yards in your chosen field of employment to make sure your job is not only secured, but longer term guaranteed. Most people don't.

Put up your hand for extra hours, do that extra course, and so on. Be the one who is proactive.

My best advice; think like you are the Boss and work out what he/she wants from you (and more) and do it.

OOOPS ................
Marc just said SOOO much more eloquently

DO THAT...Just don't ask Mummy to do it :)

Yea and politicians probably reckon if the general public only took an interst in actually underanding how politics actually works and what's inolved and available, we might learn a thing or two for ourselves and respect our pollies a bit more too.

Which past time do you reckon us aussies are gonna cut out first - cursing the boss or politicians ? :D

But why do people "hat their jobs".. firstly, it can be like "hating traffic", (not enough to make me move to a village), but it's life, not just the particular job, or the job on it's own, but it's effects on life....

over-dramatic example...

Now Mike at the bar is a friend of mine, he gets me my drinks for free.

And he's quick with a joke, or to light up your smoke, but there's some place that he'd rather be.

He said Bill I beleive this is killing me, as the smile ran away from his face
I beleive I could be a movie star, if I could get out of this place

or

Now ????? is a real estate novelist, who never had time for a wife
And he's talking to Davey, who's still in the navy, and probably will be for life.

Oh yeah;

As tom to states

People just don't care like they used to because their is a perception that it is very easy to get another job

That and/or they don't have a mortgage, or kids, or they took the job with no real intention of staying long because they considered it a dead end interim job.

It doesn't make it OK to not put in when you're getting paid, but I think all these things make a big difference in attitude which is probably why some of the young may be like this (now and in the past) and why when circumstances change, attitudes and the way they work changes.

Most people that work will have some work ethic but those without purpose, appreciation or percieved benefits are often not going to work at full capacity.

Perhaps the solution to all this is encouraging people/the young to have purpose and confidence in achieving.

I think smart employers that offer incentives ie. training, apprenticeships and encouragement to work better with the associated pay and perks, get more out of their employees, that those that treat the job no more than, my money for your time.

I've just started my 5th professional job (since finishing undergrad uni) in 12 years. I have moved every few years to climb the ladder. My working income is 7.5 times my graduate salary. If I'd stayed with the first company, it would be nothing like that amount.

Why wouldn't you move? In my last role it was well known that to get a decent increase you had to leave then come back.

In terms of satisfaction, I have loved every role except one (my second job where I only stayed 15 months). My current job is great.

Took the words out of my mouth...

I think in any workplace there will be people who are really enjoying the job and doing their best, people who are there to do their job and nothing more, and people who dont give a **** .

For me, my job is a calling..... its what I was made to do. I doubt that I would leave it voluntarily. (Although I dont think I would do it for no salary, because the money is part of the attraction of the job!! :D If I didnt think I would earn a big bonus if I overachieved my targets, it would reduce my motivation to work!)

I think managers wait far to long to sack or move on those who really dont care, or who simply dont have the skills/ talent to do the job. and in the meantime, they make everyones life so much more difficult and contribute to alot of unhappiness in the workplace.

I found this information helpful in assessing why people in my organisation were not "engaged" in their job, and what I could potentially do to change that. http://www.gallup.com/consulting/121535/Employee-Engagement-Overview-Brochure.aspx At the time, we had a number of actively disengaged staff, who we've managed to move out of the company now. It makes for a much happier workplace!!

Pen

I think in any workplace there will be people who are really enjoying the job and doing their best, people who are there to do their job and nothing more, and people who dont give a **** .

For me, my job is a calling..... its what I was made to do. I doubt that I would leave it voluntarily. (Although I dont think I would do it for no salary, because the money is part of the attraction of the job!! :D If I didnt think I would earn a big bonus if I overachieved my targets, it would reduce my motivation to work!)

I think managers wait far to long to sack or move on those who really dont care, or who simply dont have the skills/ talent to do the job. and in the meantime, they make everyones life so much more difficult and contribute to alot of unhappiness in the workplace.

I found this information helpful in assessing why people in my organisation were not "engaged" in their job, and what I could potentially do to change that. http://www.gallup.com/consulting/121535/Employee-Engagement-Overview-Brochure.aspx At the time, we had a number of actively disengaged staff, who we've managed to move out of the company now. It makes for a much happier workplace!!

Pen

Managers are also employees

For me Property Investing and being a landlord is a calling.
I love it.I love having all types of properties.

If I won the lottery, I would indulge myself in having different properties for different people.

I would love to have a house for obese people wanting to lose weight. My stepson was 11 and overweight when he first became part of the family. He grew into his weight, largely because of our family eating habits.He is a tall and fit young 19 year old now. My oldest son's friend was even more obese and he witnessed the transformation. He said to my son he wished he grew up in our family,so he would have lost weight. Meals would be included in the board, and have exercise equipment hooked up to the TV.

I would love to have a property for single parents, with a child carer on site.
It would make it so much easier for them.Not every one works office hours, and can take a child to daycare.

I would love to have a property for single parents who have weekend/visitation with their kids. Families in transition and trying to get on their feet.

A property for people who have no idea how to manage their finances, but want to own a home.People who never grew up with parents or role models
in owning.

I'd own a property that provide free or at least inexpensive pet desexing.Too many animals, with not enough basic care.Maybe hire some vet techs from the local college supervised by a vet.

A hostel like shelter for basic temporary accommodation.Not everyone can afford $70 night motel rooms.

Pen

The problem also is that in Aus it is now quite difficult to sack someone who is a permanent staff member.

You've gotta give 'em written warnings, offer them training or retraining and so forth, mediation.......endless.

The problem also is that in Aus it is now quite difficult to sack someone who is a permanent staff member.

You've gotta give 'em written warnings, offer them training or retraining and so forth, mediation.......endless.

But despite that, most people still wanna quit but need the money so they don't

Your expalantion hasn't really addressed this issue

The issue is people never liked working, but with the way society is today people are actually:

- more unhappy, because society is much more transparent and they hear about how the celebrities/master chefs/entrepreneurs/people with inheritance do nothing and live a cruisy life;

- openly display unhappiness/change jobs often, because they have better foundation (education wise etc) and hence have more options;

- very unhappy, because they're made to believe they're awesome and can do anything (until they go into their job and realise they're an oyster that is squished to oblivion under someone's shoe)

- extraordinarily unhappy, because they either hear about their friend who makes $400k and is stoopid or their friend who makes $100k working 2 days a week (guess this relates to the second point)

Back