Most value - double garage or second bathroom?

Am going to start looking at real property, have been looking on the net for the last few months in the area I want to buy, so have a fair idea of prices.

Two I want to look at this weekend are asking exactly the same, both look like decent 3 bedroom homes, but one has a second bathroom and nothing for the car (not even a carport) the other one has one bathroom but a double lock up garage. Assuming all other factors were equal, what would be most value? I was initially thinking two bathroom, but seeing as it's only a 3 bedroom house, I am thinking a double garage would be preferred?

You might want to look at your target demographic and the demographic of the area you're looking at.
Different demographics will value each of these attributes differently. You need to reverse engineer the equation.

It would depend on the layout of the house. You could turn a double garage under the main roof into rooms and if the laundry is in the right place, maybe make that an ensuite and move the laundry into the kitchen or another usable area. This would make your home 4-5 beds, 2 bath. Then add a nice big carport. :D

Of course, you can't do this to every house.

Assuming all other factors were equal, what would be most value? I was initially thinking two bathroom, but seeing as it's only a 3 bedroom house, I am thinking a double garage would be preferred?

Rob is quite right. This is the wrong Q to be asking.
Obviously a double garage costs more to build than an extra bathroom but that is not the Q.

In my areas, people (tenants) expect car garaging AND they expect an ensuite in the main + the other bathroom for a house in 2010. Check your target demographic in your area.

Thanks for the responses so far. I realise ideally garage + 2 bathroom would be the way to go, but I'm on a limited budget to get in the area so something has to go give if I'm realistic.

The area consists of many young families (FHO type area, nothing too flash) with kids, one of the homes has a woman with 2 young kids in it at the moment as the tenant. My thinking is people would expect to park the car more than just outside on the drive way, moreso than expecting a second bathroom, but maybe that's just me, a second bathroom would be a luxury. That's why I need to ask, because I need to think what others will be thinking, not me. :)

Good point Propertunity, that is a possiblity I think. Easier to add a carport/garage than an internal bathroom later down the track if I wanted too. Anyhow, have only just decided to take the plunge, so will check them out this weekend. :)

This is why I need to ask for opinions and thoughts, because I never would have thought to think outside the lazy Biggles square. :eek:

I would ask a couple of local property managers which would be best for rental.

For me, not knowing the area, I would be tempted to buy the one with double garage as it can be turned into living space now or in the future.

I would ask a couple of local property managers which would be best for rental.

That's what I did, and they both emphasised two bathrooms over anything for the car. Apparently people are spoiled these days and two bathrooms is no longer a luxury but expected. They said the carport isn't that important, but it still bothers me, maybe it's not for now, but for capital growth it could become important in the future so I need to find out if a carport could be added later. If not, I think I'll disregard that one too and just try and find something that ticks everything, even though my budget would really be pushing it. :(

I would go with what the agent said. It is interesting to watch three IPs we have in one street that we drive by fairly often. Even though there is lock up car accommodation available, the cars are left in the driveway.

Last edited:
Like Rob said, take a look at the demo for the area, we were lucky with our house because our neighbourhood doesn't have many large sheds on it, so our shed adds more value here than another bathroom would. :)

Back