Mothers' little helpers.

Mrs Fish is healthier than I, happy and at peace with the world. She was a bit concerned about memory loss [only a year younger than I] so she went to her GP today and came home with a prescription for bloody antidepressants! I think she was told it was "something to help her sleep".

She did mention to the Doc that she often wakes during the night and reads for a while. But bloody hell! These people are drug peddlers.

I try and shield her a bit and I'm wondering how much to tell her. Naturally I will watch closely and ask how she's going regularly.

I've had a crappy week and this doesn't improve my mood. :BUMMER:

Mrs Fish is healthier than I, happy and at peace with the world. She was a bit concerned about memory loss [only a year younger than I] so she went to her GP today and came home with a prescription for bloody antidepressants! I think she was told it was "something to help her sleep".

She did mention to the Doc that she often wakes during the night and reads for a while. But bloody hell! These people are drug peddlers.

I try and shield her a bit and I'm wondering how much to tell her. Naturally I will watch closely and ask how she's going regularly.

What do you mean by "I'm wondering how much to tell her"? About what?

Has she started on the pills yet? Why not get a second opinion. Waking during the night might be relieved by something herbal, and I was told there is a "natural" sleeping pill that can be used short term that doesn't leave you feeling like you have been hit with a hammer in the morning. I've never taken a sleeping pill but I hear they make you feel like crap on waking.

If she hasn't started the pills, I would be waiting until she sees someone else.

I'm sure she is aware that they are antidepressants, but I knew the moment I saw the packet. And yes, she started tonight.

She has a nanna nap if needed, I don't see a problem.

So do you mean you don't know how much to tell her in regard to whether she realises they are antidepressants?

If so, if she has started, she needs to continue. My understanding is that you cannot just stop these pills, but must wean off them gradually under medical supervision. Both my parents have been on them and I was a bit worried when the doctor put my husband onto a mild dose of antidepressant when he started LSL nearly three years ago. He was very stressed at that time with his job, and with general "butting heads" with our two older boys, but nothing major, just that he doesn't like conflict, and he had it at work and often at home.

He went to a doctor to take a week's sick leave as a way to transfer over to LSL as he knew if he asked for LSL he would be refused. The doctor prescribed a low dose of anti-depressant.

He was on the pills (fairly low dose) for a few months, and they did help, but we had to wean him off them gradually over several weeks/months because stopping suddenly can cause major problems.

So, maybe go for a second opinion on how strong the drug is, how strong a dose, and if you (or your wife) don't think she is depressed but more really needing to get a decent night's sleep, then maybe wean off them sooner rather than later.

I know my mother used to be awake at night a lot, but she had a lot of things on her mind (my father had advanced Alzheimers and the carer gets hardly any relief, and a son who is a waste of space, but still her son). She used to get up when she couldn't sleep and start doing her tax paperwork. I tried so hard to get her to drink warm milk, read a book or try some herbal remedies, but she would start that paperwork and then fall asleep about 5am and nap through the day in front of the TV. It was a bit of a "dog chasing its tail" thing.

I don't know what the "natural" or "herbal" sleeping pill that works for about four hours is called, but I've been told it is good for short term needs and I also know that when we came home from Europe six months ago I couldn't sleep for love nor money. After five days of sitting up most of the night and feeling like crap for most of the day, I took Melatonin tablets and they worked a treat. Maybe my body was about ready to get back to normal anyway, but that could be something to look at (under the care of a doctor).

It is possible she's been put on a specific antidepressant that promotes close to 'normal' sleep (most sleeping pills and some antidepressants don't), to see if her memory improves once her sleep does.

Broken sleep can cause issues in the elderly (like memory loss), but broken sleep and memory loss can both be symptoms of dementia so need to be checked out (?rules it out if memory improves).

Not trying to scare you but it seems odd that she gone in for memory loss and come out with anti depressants.

I think you need to both go in and get a better picture of what he's concerned with, and why he's ordered that course of treatment.

I know I'm a little young for this thread, but seriously, they give antidepressants out like lollipops sometimes!

I know your wife isn't taking them for depression, but for those who are I don't believe they should be given out without help from a practicing psyc first (or similar).

A close friend was given antidepressants without the correct help, nor guidance and attempted suicide within a week (says she didn't and just wanted to "sleep for a while" by taking almost a whole months' worth and drinking a bottle of vodka). She's much better now, after a lot of work they sorted it, she still needs regular sessions for now. I don't believe she needed the medication to begin with, she just needed someone to talk to who was disconnected from everything in her life.

Anyway, that's my little rant about doctors with giving out their pills instead of doing a little more research into the underlying/real problem.

Reading more this morning, I see that it a weak drug and that it is sometimes prescribed for insomnia.

I'm happy with that so thanks all, I'll leave it at that.

I hope they also gave her a thorough checkup, including a test for diabetes. High blood glucose levels can have a significant effect on your memory.

I was feeling quite unwell last year and was having terrible problems with my memory..went to the first dr and he laughed at me and told me I was too young to have alzheimers and told me I had the flu (he didnt even look at me). So I went to a second Dr who did a series of tests and found my blood sugar level was off the chart and I was at imminent risk of a stroke.

Highly recommend a full checkup.

Mate, I share your concern, mothers little helpers, advertising for Valium years ago wasn't it ?

If she is suffering memory loss there are heaps of good herbal remedies that would be worth a try before running the risk of developing an addiction.

Some of the case studies on those pills are horrific, if she has only just started I would be encouraging her to stop, have some blood tests and try a herbal supplement first.

If she is still no better in a month then go onto the pills but I would try non addictive stuff first.

NOTE : I am not a doctor nor a zealot, just my opinion on a subject that I am very sensitive about

Hope your week is getting better, Sunfish.

Do you think your wife had her concerns about memory loss taken seriously enough?

Having seen my mum go through it, I would say that dementia is one of the most cruel diseases. One of the things I've noticed in my relatives in my mum's generation is that they are quite anxious about getting it, and sometimes the anxiety is actually causing problems where there was no problem. One of my relatives has convinced herself that she has dementia despite having no symptoms.. its sad to see. she has aged about 10 years in the year since my mum died.

Obviously, we are all different in how we approach health issues, but I would want to get tests done so that I knew one way or the other and didnt have the worry of "what if" hanging around my neck.

But also, if she is in the early stages, then there are alot more options for effective treatment, so the earlier you know, the better the outcome.

and as others have mentioned, there are alot of underlying health issues which can result in memory loss, so its important to eliminate those from the picture.

Its a challenge to negotiate the health system at times, but I hope that you are able to get what you need. If you dont feel that you are, then dont be afraid to push a little harder..... :)

Benzodiazapines (like Valium) are a whole different ball game to antidepressents - should not be confused as being similar.

Benzodiazapines are not freely given out and are highly addictive, whereas antidepressants aren't.

Years ago they gave out Valium for depression (?not coping) whereas now they don't.

Valium is usually ordered for short term use only - that way you don't encounter problems with addiction.

Didn't see the youtube vid but will try to later.

Last edited:
I've got a confession to make. When I read title of this thread, I didn't think of the Stones song. My first thought was that line from The Boys Light Up by Australian Crawl where 'mother's little helper is coming out for more, strategically positioned between the midday shows...' I always thought it referred to a, um..., 'battery operated bedroom appliance'. I was wondering what Sunfish was up to.

GP fail - at least you earned them a nice little EOFY "bonus" (no commission - that would be illegal and immoral).

ask the doc about the side effects like unintended weight gain which can CAUSE depression.

Read a little further Aaron. Things are not as I originally thought. She is on a low dose of a mild drug.

Maybe the crappy week I mentioned was getting to me but it's all OK now. Thanks for your concern. :)

Back